Bad Best Buy Experience

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by joe128139 • Jul 1, 2012.

1. joe128139

joe128139New Member

Threads:
    Very surprisingly, I had my first bad Best Buy experience today. My landlord decided she was done with Uverse, so I was off to look for my own internet service. I ended up settling on the Virgin Mobile Wifi, but the way the transaction was handled was simply horrible. They screwed something up in their computer system and charged me twice. Then the top up card wouldn't go through. Ten minutes of blank stares and I was finally led to the customer service desk. Another 20 minutes. They couldn't figure out how to refund my debit card. They finally did after I got on the phone with the bank and handled things. I still bot the modem because I need the internet, but I won't be going back to that location any time soon.

Any of you guys have similar Best Buy experiences?

2. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    I've had a similar thing with trying to trade in a couple games, going to the video game desk only to be taken to the customer service, then the customer service sent me BACK to the video game desk, only to find out that the games I had weren't able to be traded in because they're PC Games. The whole experience disgruntled me quite a bit.

3. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I haven't liked Best Buy for some time. I think it's when they got to be too big the customer service began to fall through the cracks a bit for me. I'm not nearly as partial as I used to be I admit since working at Radio Shack.

The other thing was Best Buy is usually considered to have the best prices on merchandise, however I always found their games, CDs, and DVDs to be a bit overpriced in my opinion. They occasionally would have some good electronics on sale, but nothing that could be other larger stores like Wal-Mart and Target. I suppose they may still be one of the best spots to go for Black Friday. However I believe I preferred Media Play a lot more. I miss that store....

4. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I loved Media Play, and I enjoyed circuit city more too. I've not had bad experiences with Best Buy but I don't use them too often.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any bad experiences at our local Best Buy. I have not had to use their customer service yet though. I usually compare prices online and if Best buy has the best price and they have the item in stock, I will buy it from them. It is usually a very quick stop because I already know what I am after.

6. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had this problem at Best Buy, but I have in other retail locations. I will have to say that for the most part, Best Buy does a pretty good job of educating their staff, but I have found that over time, this attention to detail has gone by the wayside in favor of less expensive "warm bodies". This may be a product of the current poor economy. But, whatever it is, it's not working.

7. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I had a major issue with Best Buy. A few years ago I bought a computer from them and it was brand new in the box. I tried to boot it up and after an hour of waiting and nothing happening I decided to contact support. They told me it sounded like Windows was not installed and to return it to the store for a refund. The "geek squad" found the files right away and refused to give me all of my money back and said it was my fault for not looking for the files and the computer companies support was mistaken and Windows was present. Even though they had to put in a boot disc to get it to work. I have not bought a thing from Best Buy since.

8. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    It's not hard to believe you had a bad experience there. I quit going years ago in favor of ordering things online. I found there was really nothing to be gained by physically going to the store and could usually find a better deal on Amazon or NewEgg. The only downside was I had to wait, no instant gratification. It's no surprise Best Buy is failing.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gotten the runaround too at Best Buy when I just wanted return a modem. They told me to stand in one line, then when I got up to the register, they told me I was in the wrong line and needed to stand in a different line. This happened twice and I felt like they just really wanted to get rid of me instead of doing a simple return.

10. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the UK so I don't have the option of Best Buy! but I can say I had a similar experience in PC World - considering they make a lot of the fact all their staff are trained in computers or have an IT background, it doesn't show!

11. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    Ugh I detest Best Buy!! I bought a Sprint phone from them and on day 8 the phone died, it did one of those automatic updates that you can't stop and the phone wouldn't do anything after...not even turn on! Well I took it to Best Buy and they informed me that they couldn't help me because it was a 7 day return. Now keep in mind that I bought that extended warranty crap from them...that they still charge me for...so I threw a fit with them and Sprint (which also didn't want to replace it because I didn't have insurance) and ended up with a new phone...I dropped Sprint the next month (I was on someone's account and gave them their phone back LOL) and got an iPhone...

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I wanted to upgrade my car's stereo system. It had been a while since doing this and I wanted the most for my money. I chose a set and needed to know what could be worked out as far as installation went. The salesperson couldn't get it together because some staffperson kept calling them to be elsewhere. I jumped in and told him that I was looking to buy not browse. He pretty much told me to buzz off and when I got in line to pay for the set, it toppled over on the conveyer belt. The salesperson told me that I bought it though it was no fault of my own.

Upper management got involved and straightened things out but I've since been cautious about buying from them.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear that, I have never had a bad experience at Best Buy. But then again I only ever bought one notebook there... I actually did return it and exchange it for a new Asus, but the problem was at Dell not at Best Buy with the first computer, so I cannot blame them. Their customer service was pretty good when I needed them.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I find zero value in shopping at places like Best Buy any more these days. The only thing they've ever had going for them in recent years, would be having a larger selection of a given type of merchandise than the other big chain department stores had. But now that I can find a whole lot more online, Best Buy becomes useless to me. In addition, there are some other local computer/electronics stores near me such as MicroCenter, which have a way bigger selection than Best Buy ever had.

20+ years ago, Best Buy was cool back in the day. They sold CD's for like $10, when other stores such as Camelot Music were selling them for $17 or more. It was a no-brainer to buy all your music and movies there, instead of the overpriced "music" stores and "video" stores. They had the biggest selection of video game stuff and computer stuff as well, not to mention car audio (when that was a big thing).

But the employees were never really tech savvy as they try to give the impression they are. Nor does the store adequately train them, imo. Their so called "Geek Squad" are only being paid like $1 over minimum wage. It's the equivalent of calling some neighbor kid down the street to look at your computer and fix it for a few bucks, hardly "experts". Similarly, their staff doesn't know much about digital cameras, other than how to read of the box specs to you, when they really don't have a grasp on what most of that even means. When it came to car audio, I felt more comfortable just buying the parts and installing it all myself, than leaving my car unattended to some strangers who could potentially break something. I've had previous car audio places crack my dashboard among other things, and give me a hassle with replacing it.

15. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that can be happen on any online web,My experience most of the times remains good and at the same time a chance should be given to them.So yeah because the ones who are controlling all the stats are human beings too so according to me a chance can be given to them.

16. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    That is a strange situation. It seems like something as simple as a refund would be easy to do. Im guessing they tend to pay people in cash and not straight back to their debit card.

Never heard of anyone having that issue before.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my, twice the charge? I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Its a good thing that it was handled there and then though. I can't believe that they weren't able to get the transaction cleared though, I'm guessing that it was a lack of knowledge maybe? Usually stores are able to clear it up right away. Its horrible that you had to wait so long.

18. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    We get to experience this kind of things some time which aren't really expected but yeah the management needs to be working on it they way Amazon does and they are the people who actually know how they can make a mark and that is the basic reason behind their stability in a huge market.

19. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I had unpleasant moments in Best Buy but never anything that was outright horrible for me to vent about. I bought a laptop from the store a few years ago. The checkout person was so hostile in her mannerism towards me. She would ask if I wanted to keep certain software on the computer and demanded to know my answer right then and there. I wasn't even aware of additional software attach to the computer and she became irritated within a second after asking me the question. I never even had the chance to get one word out. Anyway, I took my laptop to another cashier and reported her to the manager.

20. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I never had an issue with Best Buy, that was up until two months ago when I decided to purchase a lap top. Had I known that Best Buy poorly trained two different stores in Northeast PA I would have never purchased from them. Let's just say I got a $60 credit toward the laptop and was offered an exchange. I accepted the credit and put it towards my credit card but have been left with a bad taste. There was not anything specifically wrong with the laptop software but was talked into their false advertisement. I will keep my laptop and avoid large purchases from best buy for awhile.