Bad experiences with eBay

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by addicted_buyer • Mar 28, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Have you ever had any bad experiences buying or selling in eBay? Getting scammed? Not getting what you ordered?

I've mostly had good experiences but there were 3 times I didn't end up in the "Happy customers" list. The #1 and #2 ones happened when I never got my items. I had to open 2 cases with eBay and I did end up getting my money back, but I really wanted my items. The 3rd one was ridiculous. I purchased an item from a UK seller who apparently shipped it the next day. 40 days later I still hadn't received it. I messaged him and he said "Sorry but you can't file a complain after 40 days". Wha...? I was told to wait 40 days in the first place! So then he told me I couldn't do anything at all. I said I was going to open a case with eBay and then he freaked out, he called me a scam artist and even insulted my country (saying we're all thieves), told me to get a job, and everything else you can think of. I refrained from telling him to ***** and contacted eBay. In just 2 hours I had my money back. eBay told me they had no tracking info from the seller.

It didn't end just there though. A day later he told me I had "followed the steps to scam", that I was going to be a part of their praying and that I'd get a visit from a coven by the end of the month. It was funny but creepy at the same time :p At least I hoped broom airlines were fast!

So I ended up getting my items after about 60 days - blame the post office. I always return the money if I end up getting an item, but after having to deal with that stupid seller, I decided not to. Someone who treats their customers that way should not be paid. I also gave him a negative rating :rolleyes:

So go ahead and share your story!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have only had one time when we didn't get the product and attempts to communicate with the seller were going unanswered. I contacted eBay for intervention and they also had no luck. We were about to be refunded when we finally heard something from the seller. They had been in a car accident and just been released from the hospital they day before. We went ahead and had them ship the item when they could and let them keep the payment. We did get the item a few weeks later. Other than that one time we have had nothing but good experiences.

3. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    That was a bad eBay experience. I used to make dog bandanas and I would sell them on eBay. Most of the customers were excellent. I had a few, however, who were sneaky. They would say that they never received the bandana. Like a good seller, I would take their word for it and send them another one. When they told me that they had not received it the second time, I knew something was up. I had verified their address, so I knew I had done everything correctly. They would use this technique to get free items. A seller, like myself, would do it because we wanted a good rating. I kept my items at the lowest possible price, including shipping. I did not make much on these items, especially for all of the work I put into them. Most people are wonderful to work with, but once in a while you will find a lemon. I have not done anything on eBay for a few years now. I am sure there have been several changes, but your experience does not seem like the changes are for the better.

4. rachallen

rachallenNew Member

Threads:
    I actually sold something today on Ebay and am so disappointed. I have zero money in my personal bank account and sold something with priority mail shipping. Before, when I sold the paypal money would go directly into my account and I could just deduct the shipping cost from my paypal account. Now, you have to wait for the user to rate you before you actually get the money. So, I can't ship the package until I get money. I don't know if this is an Ebay thing, or paypal thing, but it is very frustrating.

5. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    Wow, it seems like you've had a pretty awful experience! I've had a great experience, I usually try to only buy from sellers who have excellent ratings. I always look at the negative ratings and try to find out why they were given.

I had one package that took about 90 days to reach me, but that is my local post office's fault. It was "waiting for deliver" for two and a half months before it finally made it to me...I was very frustrated. Mail doesn't get to me very quickly at all!

I am hoping to start selling things on Ebay in the near future, as I really have to clean out my house. I will be sure to give anyone that buys from me the best experience as possible, as that is what I expect of sellers now.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Very true! But it's not only eBay's fault, it's also USPS and the rest of post offices around the world. With no tracking number your item has no insurance and there's no way to know where it is. It can be either stolen or lost along the way, and the seller has no option rather than giving the money back to the seller, and losing that item. Now if international tracking numbers were cheaper (Priority International has a ridiculous cost) then all orders would have it and there'd be no way for either the seller or the buyer for being scammed. Maybe if eBay had some sort of agreement with USPS... but who knows. Also, UPS, FedEx and all those stink because they charge a LOT for taxes.

Take China as an example. Hong Kong Post and China Post have tracking numbers for as low as $1.80 (more or less, depends on the seller). If it were that cheap to send something (the safe way) anywhere in the world, then most eBay sellers would have great experiences. Shipping an item abroad here costs around 50 USD (the cheapest one!) so there's no way we could ever use eBay for international shipping.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've bought and sold a lot on Ebay, and most of it has been positive. I had one consignment of baseball caps that never arrived, and I contacted the seller, who said they'd been dispatched. He argued with me, and said he was fed up of people saying they hadn't received things. I asked for my money back and he - grudgingly - paid it. He must have been having a bad day, because the next day, he rang me to tell me they'd been returned to the depot. He sent them back out to me, and when I tried to pay him for them, he told me to keep it, and apologised for being so rude to me the day before.

I gave him a good rating for that, and I never buy from anyone with bad ratings, which is why most of my experiences have been so positive.

8. encryptedbytes

encryptedbytesMember

Threads:
    I was approaching 1,000 feedback with a 100% rating and had a buyer put a negative on me because a piece of glass she bought arrived broken (despite careful packing). She didn't bother asking for a refund or a replacement, she just went ahead and ruined my "perfect" record. It infuriated me so much I ended up quitting selling for over 2 years! I'm back at it now, the negative is long enough ago that I can considered 100% again and I'm working on reaching that 1,000 feedback mark.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    How much does it take to be a "Top Rated Seller"? Like a certain percentage or positive ratings or does the quantity of sold items play a role?

10. encryptedbytes

encryptedbytesMember

Threads:
    It does. Here are the current requirements:

- Be a member of

- Have at least 100 transactions and $3,000 sales in the last 12 months
    - Meet the Detailed Seller Ratings (DSR) requirements
    - Meet the Buyer Protection and PayPal Buyer Protection standards.

Changes to these requirements are coming on June 1st. For the full details see

11. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I've never been scammed before on ebay but I always check seller feedback and make sure they have at least 10+ positive feedback for buying from them. eBay is pretty good about protecting your money nowadays. They used to not really care a couple years back lol.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I encountered an Ebay seller that had several stores and was using pics of items that are not available, so you end up getting the wrong item or not getting anything at all. And if the bid is too low, some sellers send the wrong item who's value is just right for what you won. Just a tip. If you won something for a really low price than it's original price, then don't count on the seller sending it to you. I won an LCD that regularly costs $6 and a sling bag for only $1.01 and it never arrived. The seller didn't respond to me and my case was closed by Paypal since it was past 45 days already when I filed a complaint.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a couple of bad experiences where I haven't received an item, but the seller insists that they posted it to me. I have to say, though, that eBay were always really helpful, and I got my money back both times, which was great news for me at the time. I am always very careful when buying anything on eBay now, and I will always try to make sure that seller has a lot of positive feedback, as I find that it makes you feel much safer when it comes to having a positive buying experience.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the third situation was completely your fault, and you almost got scammed because of a misunderstanding of eBay's own rules. After 45 days, you can't file a report against someone to get your money back for an item not received. It doesn't matter what the seller says or how long they tell you to wait. After 45 days, you're out of luck, and that's why you have to follow eBay's rules, not the seller's words.

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Woah. Those are really bad experiences. As for me, I haven't bought or sold anything on Ebay yet. I do online shopping once in a while but only on the marketplace website that I truly think is reliable. I think before purchasing an item through the cyber space, you must really consider a lot of things first and be a smart customer.