Baking Soda

Discussion in Product Reviews started by FlanneryCam • Aug 22, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I think baking soda is the best product I buy. It is relatively inexpensive and if you buy your baking soda from the laundry aisle instead of the baking aisle it is way cheaper.

I use the stuff everywhere. As a cleaning agent, in the fridge, as a shampoo, etc.

Anyone else have a good use for baking soda. I would love more suggestions!

2. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people who will even use baking soda for beauty related purposes. They even use it for toothpaste or as a shampoo. I've read about many people using baking soda and apple cider vinegar as a rinse for your hair. It doesn't sound the most pleasant but people swear by the effects it has on their hair. Not to mention, it is much cheaper than shampoo & conditioner.

3. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda has a barcode that gets scanned so the price is the same no matter where in the store you buy it.

Anyway, it has a lot of great uses but I really love what it does for my fridge.

4. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    She might mean the bigger bag is found in the laundry section. I've seen it there and the price is slightly lower than the little boxes in the baking aisle.

I love baking soda, use it for household cleaning. I sit little cups of it in closets to keep odors away. I sprinkle it in bottoms of trash cans to absorb odors. I've used it to clean my teeth, hair, and as a natural deodorant. It can be used in laundry, although it works best in either hard or soft water (I can't remember which right now).

We love baking soda around our house. it's cheap, safe, and effective.

5. plsargent

plsargentNew Member

Threads:
    I think the list would be shorter of where I don't use baking soda :) cleaning, cooking, odor remover. Keeps thing smelling fresh, laundry, skin care, teeth care, hair care, and it's safe around my kids and animals.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I love baking soda too! I also use it as a shampoo mixed with water. I use it to scrub and also to unclog drains (mixed with vinegar.) I sprinkle it on the floor an hour or so before vacuuming to help freshen the carpet too. It is hard for me to say if it is my favorite tho, only because vinegar comes in a tie.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is that it can be used to take the pain away from a bee sting. You simply mix in a little bit of water to make a paste and gently cover the area of the sting after removing the stinger if it is still there. It really helps relieve the pain but you do need to reapply it quite often.

8. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    I honestly never knew you could use for so many things. I knew about the fridge and as a deoderant, but had no idea you could brush your teeth with it!
    thanks for the info!

9. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I also think baking soda is a great product. I use it as much as possible. Especially with the cost, such a great value. Many of the tips listed I already use and work well. You can also make a paste of peroxide and baking soda for a blood stain remover. Peroxide on it's own can work, but the baking soda helps to protect the fabric. It even works on old blood stains.

10. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda has a lot of uses. It can be used as a toothpaste, just use it instead of the regular toothpaste. Or you can add it with water and gargle with it, it becomes instant mouthwash. It can be used as a deodorizer, I used it i the fridge and cloth diaper pail. It can also be used in laundry, it helps clear out white clothes, and I also use it to remove poop stains on my son's cloth diapers. I am still in the process of experimenting on how I can make my own laundry detergent with it and the use of other ingredients.

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I make my toothpaste using baking soda and coconut oil. It is a very simple recipe and it leaves my teeth feeling so clean! However, I would like to add some peppermint oil for that fresh "minty" feeling. Baking soda truly is the ultimate all purpose cleaner.

12. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Baking soda is a great all purpose cleaner that very cost effective. I use it to clean my scalp, I mix it sometimes with essential oils to create a body/facial scrub, and its a great cleaning agent for household uses.

13. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I did not koow that it was cheaper, if purchased from the laundry ausle. Thanks for that information.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda is awesome, isn't it? I agree, the only thing that could possibly rival its usefulness is vinegar. One more use that people haven't mentioned: mix it with sugar and it becomes roach bait.

15. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Baking Soda is awesome! So many uses for that stuff. You can put it in the fridge open and it deodorizes your home as well. You can wash clothes with it even! :D They even have it in toothpaste nowadays!

16. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Put it in my kitty litter every time I clean the box, its amazing how much of a difference it makes to the smell! This is truly one of those products you can just keep in the back of your cupboard as it has so many uses!

17. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    I love baking soda too. Thanks for the tip on buying from the laundry isle, I never knew it was cheaper there.

I'm big on "green" cleaning and I often make my own cleaning supplies from vinegar and baking soda or baking powder. I also use ammonia. I have a toddler and I love the environment, so the more green I can be the better.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Science projects! lol. I use it for almost everything. Give me any task and i'll find a way to include baking soda lol.

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I used baking soda exclusively as toothpaste. I found that it was both cheaper and more effective.

20. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Baking Soda is by far the best product.

I keep some baking soda in a container in the shower to use as an all over body exfoliant, teeth whitener, and to strip build up from my hair. After I scrub my face with it, I will let it sit for a couple minutes. It will sting just a little but I have noticed it helps even the skin tones.

I have also mixed baking soda with borax to use as a dishwasher detergent. I believe the same mix can be made for washing clothes but just add shavings from bar soap for a better scent.

I have heard that baking soda can also be used to prevent weeds in the yard. It does something to the PH Balance. I tried it and it didn't work the way I expected but most likely I did it wrong.