Be Careful When Buying a Computer Hard Drive on Amazon.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pafjlh • May 7, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I mean this not for the reasons some of you might think such as you have to be careful with the seller you do business with. No, I am referring to being careful when finding the right size hard drive for your computer operating system. I recently went looking for a notebook hard drive which is around 2.5 inches. I accidentally bought one that 3.5 inches instead and for a desk top computer instead. I of course had to return it, and I didn't blame Amazon that time, because I wasn't sure that I had put in the search perimeter of 2.5 inches. The second time I went back I made sure I had the search perimeter correct, and I ordered again, guess what yep another desk top hard drive, that had to go back. I am now out about $15 in shipping cost to return these, and still haven't been refunded for the second one.

In the end I ended up going to a company online and making certain that it was a 2.5 inch hard drive that I purchased. I guess the moral of this story is, if you are buying a hard drive or another type of computer item off of Amazon, question the seller first. You know what you are looking for and asking the seller about the item before buying it will tell you if this is indeed what you want or not.

2. maurovis

maurovisNew Member

Threads:
    I would say one has to be very carefull when buying anything online. Amazon I have personally never had any problems with, but for some reason I have very little luck when using ebay. Even if I chose sellers with very high positve ratings something always manages to go wrong.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think that if you can be bothered to go out of the house, then you should just buy your computer equipment in a real store, not online, so that you can actually see the product and make sure that it's the right one that you want rather than buying it online. It will definitely save you time and effort too. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

4. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is a very basic step that is to be followed. But I recommend buying Computer Hardware at a local store rather than buying it in Online stores like Amazon. As sidney said, you can save your time and money too. You will be satisfied and the product fits in correctly. No need of worrying about the size until it reaches your doorstep.

5. christoJ

christoJNew Member

Threads:
    When it comes to Electronic items I always prefer to buy it only after I see/feel it and satisfied with the product. But if the item is not very costly and if the seller has a very good reputation and refund policy you may give it a try. Always check their refund policy and shipping terms to be on the safer side.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If you are going to buy something like that online then you should reallyy be doing your homework before you make a purchase. It is just common sense. :)

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that you need to be careful when you buy anything online. I haven't had any issues with buying stuff on Amazon. I am pretty careful when it comes to buying electronic goods. However, it is possible to over look things, your warning may be a helpful reminder for others.

8. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I think yes you have to be very careful when buying electronic products on the internet. Many sellers will either not fully describe the product, and this can lead you to buying the wrong product or they will mention a feature of specification that it simply does not have. I have bought a couple of faulty items from both eBay and Amazon. I did check the specifications, but the seller had simply stated features which the products did not have! it's really not a fair move on the sellers part.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Buying HDD is much cheaper online than buying on retail stores, specially around here, so when i buy them online, i am always careful of what the product is before confirming the purchase.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I don't think it's actually advisable to a hard drive online. I prefer buying them in a physical store. It's best that way at least you could inspect the unit before purchasing it.