Beans for calcium

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DancingLady • Oct 7, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Beans are actually a great source of calcium. The quantity varies a bit from field to field, so it's hard to pin down an exact amount of calcium you are getting per serving and thus it is not a widely known nutritional fact. Northern Beans (white beans) are the highest in calcium, possibly as high or higher than a serving of milk, pinto beans are also very high as are other related beans such as cranberry beans. Northern beans and pinto beans are also among the least expensive beans on the market. Since I am on one of the tightest budgets of my life, I am eating beans 4-5 times per week to save money and get the calcium I need without buying expensive dairy products.

Other beans have different minerals, like black beans are high in magnesium but low in calcium. Still a healthy food though because magnesium is very important too. I am finding that even though I don't have much money to spend on food, there are lots of smart choices I can make to continue to eat a very healthy diet without a huge price tag.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I love beans! I have just made one of my favorite dips today. I boil the beans, then when they have cooled I put them in our mixer. I add a variety of different things to the beans but today I added the following: soy sauce, salt, chili pepper, black pepper, oil, garlic (half bulb), milk, and mayo. I know it sounds like an odd combination of things but it tastes really good. Sometimes we make a dip for rice bread, carrot sticks, or rice. It is good hot or cold. Beans are also a great source of protein. I have bean loaf recipe's, soup, and stews. There are so many types of lentils and you don't need refrigeration to store them like meat. We are definitely 'beanie babies'! lol

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never knew that beans has calcium in them. Good to know because there are times that I crave them. Wonder if I'm craving calcium. Could be possibly some other vitamins in them. I need to look up the other vitamins in them to see why I could be craving them so much.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I do like eating beans and I love the fact that it's rich in calcium. I'm not a milk drinker so eating other stuff with calcium is a big deal with me (especially at my age :D). However, my doctor advised me to stay away from eating beans as I do have relatively high uric acid levels. :) Though I still eat beans from time to time but only in very small quantities. :(

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought that beans have high calcium content. I do not eat beans all the time though because they give me gas! LOL. I really love chili con carne and pork and beans though. :)

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beans I've come to learn are classified as super-foods.

Previously I knew very little about beans. That they were good sources of iron and protein. But then I've come to learn that they're also a source of calcium, magnesium and a number of other minerals. Not only can they replace dairy products but they can be a great alternative for meat too.