Beginners Make Up Kit

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by LilAnn • Jun 6, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I have a niece who's about to turn 12. Her parents are going to let her start wearing make up. I can't afford to go out and buy her individual, expensive peices of make up. Not to mention I am not going to spend money like that when most of it will be used for experimenting and trying to figure out what does and doesn't look good. Around Christmas time Walmart will have the cheap cosmetic sets with everything from blush to eye shadow, to lipstick, to nail polish. Well, I can't find one of those anywhere!! Does anyone have any idea where I can a cheap kit like that? She's too old for the fake, little girl, Bonnie Bell type make up. I would appreciate any tips you can give me! Thank you!!

2. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    Wet 'n' Wild makes some fabulous affordable make up products. Another good brand is ELF (eyes, lips, face) their products range from $1-$5. Elf also has a lot of kits that usually are around $10-$15. You can find ELF and Wet 'n' Wild make-up at Walmart and Target.

3. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely second the ELF! I order from them online often. They have a great website with awesome deals (search google for coupon codes) and amazing prices. Online you can find many pallettes and basics that would be perfect for a starter makeup kit!
    Also, Sally Girl at Sally Beauty Supplies stores is a great line for girls that is inexpensive.

4. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    You two have sold me on Elf. I've never heard of it but I'm definitely going to check it out. I don't really know exactly what a 12 year old needs. I know Bonnie Belle isn't going to cut it anymore. But I'm not spending 100$ on it either. So the information on Elf was so appreciated!! Thank you!

5. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    Glad to help! ELF's blushes are my absolute favorite! I think it is also worth noting that ELF's entire line is vegan and cruelty free. Yay for no animals harmed! Wet 'n' Wild is also cruelty-free, their eyeshadows and nail polishes cannot be beat, in my opinion.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Target sells E.L.F and they also sell them in the Christmas Tree Shop. Another idea is Sephora as their own brand is not that expensive and they do sell them online too, so you may find a bargain there.

I would buy a wallet of make-up brushes as she can always keep those and use them and a small palette of eye and cheek colors. I saw some on Groupon actually for $7 on sale, so check there as well.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have ELF here in the UK and I'd recommend it. It's a great choice for teens and really reasonably priced too

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agree with what others have said, ELF and wet n wild are good starter brands because they are dirty cheap but still do have acceptable quality. For example, wet n wild blushes and powders are quite good! Their eyeshadow trios and palettes also have surprising quality! I would get her stuff like that. You could easily spend $30 and get her all the main products she needs.

9. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Since I began using the face scrub I discovered, the only make up I ever wear is eyeliner and mascara. I've apparently been missing out, lol
    I have never heard of this make up. But you guys have me sold. Definitely, I'm going to have to pick some up for her AND me. I'm looking for that really good eyeliner. What I've bought isn't so far isn't it. Thanks!

10. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    ELF has an excellent liquid liner that isn't cakey or weird. I love it.
    For my 11 year old's first kit I got her an eyeshadow pallette, lip gloss, a pale lipstick, a light blush and some facial powder. I also included a clear mascara/eyebrow gel and some brushes.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    ELF is definitely a nice and cheap brand for beginners as well as Wet N' Wild! As for what products to buy, you might want to start with some basic ones like some neutral eye shadows, a pretty pink or coral blush, maybe some gel or pencil eye liners as well.

I suggest giving her some tinted balms or some lip glosses first before giving her full blown creamy lipsticks because she might not like how it would feel on her lips. Giving her tinted balms or lip glosses would give her a lighter feel and a more subtle color plus it will hydrate her lips as well. You can throw in some nail polishes from Wet N' Wild as well. They have really good polishes and pretty colors that are incredibly cheap! You can also give her a bottle of makeup remover and maybe some delicate facial wash to teach her to take care of her skin by cleaning her face with the makeup remover and the facial wash every time she puts makeup on her face. Hope this helps!

12. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    You guys are making this so much fun for me. I'm going to end up with all new makeup, myself...lol I'll actually spend an hour in the make up section comparing wet n wild, and Elf products... For bboth of us

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone got any suggestions for my girlfriend? She is 44 and has only ever used make-up a couple of times in her life, she can't afford the money required. I'm taking her away for a weekend in July, first class travel, expensive hotel, new clothes, posh restaurants, and I'd like her to be able to wear make-up – but I have no idea what to get her.

14. wannatakeawalk

wannatakeawalkNew Member

Threads:
    Since she's a newbie at makeup, keeping it simple would be best.
    • Black mascara (5-10$)
    • Simple eye shadow colour pallete (There are drugstore ones that have 3 colours. They usually have a guide on where to put each colour. They are also usually sorted by eye colour.

an example. Price range is 2$-10$)
    • Tinted lipbalm (Personally I love

. 3-5$).
    • If she doesn't have perfect skin and wants to even out skin tone, a tinted moisturizer or

(5-20$) is easier to apply, and lighter than foundation. Finding the right colour can be tricky though you don't want it too dark or too light.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you very much for your help. We have a lot of shops around here that sell make-up and I'm sure I'll be able to pick up these. I'm going to take my girlfriend with me as I'm sure I'd get some funny looks from other customers if they saw a big bald-headed man looking at make-up. :p