Being Given Incorrect Change?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Feb 17, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed recently that I was given insufficient change twice, but I was already home when I noticed it, since I don't really count the change when they are handed to me, bad habit, I know. They were only a few cents short, so it's not much of a loss. But I'm wondering if the missing amount is quite substantial, will you be able to get the change back when you got home already? Will the cashier believe you? Has this happened to you already? If you found out that your change is insufficient, will you go back and complain or just let it be?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's happened a few times but you have to do it there and then in front of them because there are too many scammers out there. I know when I worked in retail I would count the change back to someone as a habit to prevent this, and if people did this it would reduce the chances of being short changed.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once you leave the store and find out that you got the wrong change even if you complained later, you won't be believed. As Theo suggests, you have to count your change right there before the next customer is served.

Some stores actually require their employees to count change verbally to customers.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last month when we dined in a classy restaurant inside the mini mall, we were charged wrongly. The bill was supposed to be 1,500 but the total payable was only 1,000. It was like getting an excess change. It's a good thing that my husband had thoroughly checked the bill because he was wondering why the small amount against his estimated 1,500 or so. And it turned out h e was right on the expected amount.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    It also happened to me several times because like you, I also usually don't count my change whenever it's handed to me. I know it's really not so smart of me but I also usually just let these things pass if we're only talking about a few cents or small coins. My husband is very meticulous with this kind of thing though just like @Corzhens@Corzhens's, he checks every receipt given to him making sure that we were charged correctly and when the change is handed to him, he would really take the time to count them before leaving.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, there will be a sign in the store to say that mistakes cannot be rectified once you have left the store - so it is always very important that you keep an eye on how much change you're being given at the time, as there is nothing that can be done if you have already left. I always check mine, as they are often in a rush to get to the next customer if they're busy, and might not give you as much change as they should have done, so it certainly pays to be careful and make sure you take a look!

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never encountered a sign like that. Maybe it is a matter of living in different countries? If I have been wronged in the change department, and I notice once leaving the shop, and I go back, then I have always gotten the correct change back. There is this one shop though, where they will intentionally try to give you the wrong change. I always call them out on it.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Is that a small shop? If yes, then they are probably trying to get more profit by ripping off their customers. If you have already called them on it and they still do it then their intent is quite obvious already.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    **sigh** This has sadly happened to me many a time, and I've only got myself to blame because like you, I never check my change! I always vow I'll do it, but then end up not doing it. It's usually small change, but I feel the check out staff should still say something rather than take for granted it's ok. I can only imagine they make a lot of money from all the small change collected from all their shoppers. Those coins soon add up!

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been given incorrect change too often, to my knowledge,,but I do often find that when something is on sale according to store signs, it is rung up incorrectly at the register. I have had to tell the cashier a number of times the item was on sale, and they have to check of course.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also had this happen but caught it before I left the store. I usually have the figue in my head so when I get my change if it does not look right I stop and count it. I really dislike having my change handed back to me instead of counted out to me as it is given to me. I worked as a teller in a bank, part of the training was if you have given the client their money and the leave your window and come back saying it was wrong it is their problem also if they act like they dropped some on the floor, bent down to pick it up and then stated their money was wrong it is their problem. It pays to count your change when it is given back to you to avoid losing money.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not recall being given the wrong change before but I do pay attention when they are getting the money out of their drawer. I have worked in retail and I know that if someone said that they were given the wrong change even after they have left, we had to count the drawer down to see if there was an overage. If there was then we would give them the money back.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is like a smaller shop, but bigger than most shops? Or corner stores? It is a newsagents type of shop, and it sits opposite a row of new apartment buildings that have recently been thrown up. An Asian family owns it, and they alternate on the till. I have noticed that it is usually the older woman, and the younger female who will try to scam you, but the man is dodgy too, as he lies about certain things.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If the cashier is allowed the time to examine her cash balance she finds that the change was indeed wrong. then you should be able to be reimbursed. It's difficult to just accept someone's claim without been able to verify if the claim is legitimate. Therefore, best practice dictates that a customer should check and verify that the goods and change received is correct, before leaving the counter. This action could really help in avoiding some distress.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If that's the case then you should not buy there anymore if they just attempt to scam you. If they keep on doing that then they will lose customers for sure. I actually doubt why they still have customers until now.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have already told myself that I am not going back there, but they sell such a variety of things, and are the epitome of convenience, considering where I live and how easy it is for me to leave my home and just pop there if I need anything. I have called them on their bullshit a few times now, and you would think that that would be enough to stop them from trying it at all. But no.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Wow, talk about being thick-faced. You already called them on it and they still do it? They obviously don't care if they lose customers and get bankrupt. Word will get around, you know? But I can understand why you keep going there, convenience is a big deal.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL!! Thick faced. I know right? It is not like I am not a regular there either. The thing is, I have spoken to other people about them, and they have reported similar experiences. I don't drive either, so going there is really convenient, as I can just walk there. But I am always very cognizant of everything that is going on when I am in that shop. They are so dodgy. I feel sorry for first time customers there, because they are bound to be scammed in one way or another. And even if they are scammed that first time, a lot of people will just assume it was an honest mistake and dismiss what happened, or they will not have the balls to speak up. Not me though. People think they are too slick.

19. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure this has happened to me but few and far between incidents. Most of the stores that I visit count the change as the give it to me. When it's handed to me in one clump then I count it to make sure it's the correct amount. This is when I feel it's most important to check your change. I use my debit card which definitely prevents this from happening.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Don't you just wish those scammy owners would just get robbed by crooks or shoplifters just to give them a taste of their own medicine? Lol. How much do they usually attempt to steal from you?