Best App For Improving Math Skills?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by eagletal88 • Jan 21, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am looking for am app that will keep my math skills sharp. Something fun and interesting, but also challenging. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Basic math, algebra, geometry, etc. I don't mind if it is a paid app, as long as it has a fair price.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I downloaded Math Magus, it only covers really elementary arithmetic addition/subtraction but overall it's a pretty okay game. Good for training your mind to calculate numbers faster.

3. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Why don't you try Lumosity? If you don't mind paying then you'll be offered a lot more. Still, I'm satisfied with the free membership. You would also have the option of touching up on other skills as well. My favorite game to play is Word Bubbles. Moreover, it tracks your progress.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks, I will try Math Magus. I don't mind if it only does basic math, as long as it is enjoyable and keeps your mind sharp.

You know I have heard a lot about Lumosity, but never have tried it. Can you get it as a app? Or do you only use a web browser?

5. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    It comes as an app as well. I think it's very convenient that it's offered both ways. Personally, it's easier to play some of the games that requires typing, like Word Bubbles. I'm not a fast typer when it comes to Smartphones, though. You should really give it a try! :)

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Brain exerciser is a great Android app that gives your brain a workout. It is a collection of minigames that make you think and it includes three math games that would really challenge you like Nuber Breaker, Balloon Solver and Add Like Mad.

If you want something with more games, get Mind Games. It has the following:
    • Abstraction
    • Attention Training Game
    • Anticipation
    • Changing Directions
    • Divided Attention
    • Face Memory
    • Math Star
    • Memory Racer
    • Memory Span
    • Memory Flow
    • Memory Match
    • And many more..... :p
    These apps are free by the way.

7. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Heck, I'll even use these. I analogize the brain with working out your muscles--the more you exercise them then the stronger they will get. The relatively new concept of neuroplasticity shows we continue to create more synaptic connections. I know I notice a difference when I regularly play brain games. My word recall and overall memory improves.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. That is true. The more you use your brain, the better it gets. It's good to have a workout regularly, both mentally and physically. Practicing math makes you pretty good at mental calculations. This would definitely come in handy when making small purchases. That's why I also love playing math games. I also love playing logic puzzles. I just don't know how this helps my brain. Haha!

9. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing it has something to do with activating/using the parts of your brain involved in whatever the puzzle or problem requires. For example (a simple and general one) the prefrontal cortex is involved with executive thinking. When we utilize this skill, there is activity going on in that part of the brain. With increasing use more synaptic connections will be created in that part in order to transfer messages more efficiently.