Best Drive through drinks (Coffee, tea and soda)

Discussion in Food & Drink started by justusforus • Nov 19, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I know it is more expensive most times to drive through and get a drink, but who has the best drinks for quality and price? McDonalds has been running a drink special where you can get a large soda for 1 dollar and their sweet tea is always 1 dollar. I think the sweet tea is great and the soda a bargain. Jack in the Box has a good drive through coffee for a dollar which I think is better than McDonalds. Starbucks drive thrus are everywhere here but they are so expensive for anything. What are your favorites for taste and value?

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best drive through soda taste wise out there is McDonalds. I don't know why it is, but I SWEAR their Coke tastes different than other restaurants coke.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I know what you are saying on that one. It seems whatever location of McDonalds I go to, they always have their fountain drinks tasting right. Particularly, the Coke is always the right mix of syrup and carbonation.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like getting sodas, juice, or even slushies. I'd rarely go for coffee on drive thru, because first of all, I'm not that big of a coffee drinker anymore, and second, it's a lot more difficult to manage hot beverages in the car than cold ones.

5. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I've found quite the opposite actually, at least in local restaurants around here. Most of their sodas is INCREDIBLY watered down, to the point where it barely tastes like the original drink. And it's pretty obvious that they do add plenty of water to it, you can see that it's pretty much 70% water 30% coke mix at the self-serve drink dispensers.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't longer go for drinks on drive through either, this was a trendy idea for me while I was a teenager, but today I found more enjoyable get the either coffee, tea or sodas (mostly cola sodas) at 7-Eleven and drink them sitting on the sidewalk.

7. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    I do love the lemonberry slush from Sonic when it's made just right. Slushes are part of their 99cent drink deals they have earlier in the day, so if you want to try one for cheap, that might be a way to do it (though it's no more expensive than buying a soda there).

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Their Coke tastes different? In what way? I often eat there and I never noticed anything. It tastes the same as the Cokes from other fastfood chains.

9. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't explain what's different. But there's definitely something different about it. Sweeter maybe? I just know I could identify their Coke vs any other fast food restaurant coke out there.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fast food sodas taste different because they don't have to list the ingredients on their cups... they're made differently than your cans or bottles. Disgusting practices I tell ya.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sodas at restaurants are made on the fly. They get bags of the soda syrup from the manufacturers and hook them up to hoses that draw it into the soda fountains and combine it with the carbonated water on the fly. Similarly, they have tanks of gas that carbonate the water too. It's possible their hoses and other equipment might be leaking more or less of the syrup into your drinks and or not carbonating it enough or carbonating it too much. That would explain the difference in taste from place to place. As for the gross factor, they are *supposed* to take apart that equipment and clean and soak it in bleach water each night, but they don't always do that, and it becomes ridden with bacteria and mold. Also, the ice bins in restaurants are as dirty as toilet water according to some reports.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For drive-thru, I think everything works. I mean, there are some joints that offer refills, but, who would do that, right. :)

13. jessicadnguyen

jessicadnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    I tried Wendy's hazelnut coffee the other day and I was pleasantly surprised. It was a pretty large cup for the $2 I paid and honestly, I wasn't expecting much. But the coffee was really good and kept me going for my day of lectures. I definitely would go back for that hazelnut coffee. :)

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't normally go to any drive through because I would rather come into the store to get my drink. However, I usually go to Starbuck's drive through because most of the time they are quick. I deliver food to customers' homes, and I sometimes stop by at the Starbuck or go to the drive through to get my coffee because I have only about 5 minutes before I have to go back to the restaurant. Starbuck does offer convenient service for those who like to get their coffee through the drive through section.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So this explains why the taste varies, as claimed by the other members. I just noticed that Coke tastes better when it's exposed to open air like if it was in a glass inside the ref for many hours already, since the carbon dioxide tends to dissipate. I noticed that Coke tastes better when there are zero bubbles.

#15Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013