Best Food and Drink for Christmas Gifts?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SpringBreeze • Dec 20, 2013.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still shopping for Christmas gifts. And I'm thinking of giving several people grocery-related gifts. They've had a hard year financially, so I'm thinking of giving stuff that they can really use and enjoy. But I'm not sure what foods and drinks look best as Christmas gifts in a gift bag or basket. What do you think? What would you give?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Try looking around at malls. They've got a variety of food and drinks wrapped up during Christmas season specially made for gifting. If it was me, I'll choose a mix of beers, soft drinks, juice or wine so that the whole family can enjoy. Or ham, turkey, cookies and fruits.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, there are plenty of gift baskets in the supermarket, and they have assorted stuff inside, like food, beverages, junk food, sweets, etc. so you might wanna check that out if your supermarket has them. I think that you can't go wrong with giving them ham and fruits, because they might not like liquor.

4. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I think a high priced bottle of champagne is always the perfect holiday gift for those that enjoy drinking. And around this time, there are a few good sales I'm sure. Try a bottle of egg nog or a bottle of bubbly.

5. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Well, hot chocolate is a definite and obvious answer lol. Egg nog is also a good option.

For foods, Christmas cookies are always a good option, but it would also be nice to add healthy foods. Pre-packaged gravy would be a good addition to their gift basket. Also, rolls would be good. Anything that fits the holidays, but would also last them a little bit are important additions to their gift basket.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I love food and drink as gifts, any time of year, because it is always practical, almost always can be a blessing, and very often is something that the person would never splurge on for themselves.

Great thread and great idea.

A couple of my favorites for Christmastime:
    - Omaha Steaks (go through

and get up to 10% cash back in addition to codes for free shipping, use this every year!)
    - Hickory Farms meat and cheese baskets (at the mall or online) - so yummy.
    - Harry and David (for the sweet tooth, also so good)

This year (not for Christmas) I also gifted this super yummy blackberry jam from a local grocer in my small town. I love the jam, and it is always neat to pass along a local treasure.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    You can purchase a variety of gifts at the grocery store on the cheap.

As far as food goes, I would focus on gourmet chocolates or other types of candy most people enjoy. Any kind of liquor is normally a welcome Christmas gift too.

For more ideas, check out

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they've been having a hard time, you want foods and beverages that will last. What I would do, is create a basket with recipes in jars. That way, they have multiple uses, you can personalize them and it will look like a well meaning, handmade gift that takes the awkwardness out of receiving a helping hand. You can add so many mixes and many can be done without needing any additional ingredients from their own cupboards. Drink mixes too. It might even end up cheaper than buying a ready made basket. I would appreciate a gift like that and I don't even need the help.. I think they'd really like it :)

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a very sweet idea. You could basically give them a holiday dinner in a basket, like a canned ham, mashed potato mix, biscuit mix, canned veggies, the French fried onions for green bean casserole, canned yams, drink mix, etc. If you take advantage of the sales that are going on now for holiday foods, you can give them a lot of food that will last a while.

10. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I can't really think of a favorite Christmas food of mine. Maybe that would fruitcake, I suppose as a desert. But my favorite Christmas drink of all time has to be egg nog. I would drink that stuff all year if I wanted to but there is something about drinking it during the holiday season that makes it even more enjoyable to me.

11. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I find that you can make a gift basket yourself and get a lot more value. I like to put in things like nuts, trail mix, dried fruit and maybe cheese or sausage. You can also throw in a gift card or add homemade cookies or baked goods. It just seems the premade gift baskets really do not have that much in them and you can customize your own to fit your friends likes.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The best place food can be found as a gift is online. I actually purchased a gift for a few family members from Amazon that were great. They have a fantastic international food category. Also Harry & David has great food gifts.
    As far as receiving myself from others, the more strange the better. I love something people find on vacations. I love receiving something that some one has put thought into. As far as the mention of it being perishable, I personally don't care. If it is delicious and new and freaky I am all over the giving/receiving of it.

13. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    If you put a dozen of chocolate chip cookies in a basket for me. Then you will have had made a friend for life!

My favorite Christmas food is chocolate chip cookies. I know that eating cookies too much isn't healthy but who cares!