Best Free Tourist Attraction You've Ever Visited?

Discussion in Travel started by SLTE • Nov 7, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    While there are plenty of places abroad that are worth the money for entry, I find some of the best places to visit are completely free - and it seems like every place I've visited has at least one or two things you can go and see without paying a cent. What tourist traps have you visited that are completely free?

I was in London a few months ago, and I quickly discovered that almost every museum in the city is free of cost. Not all of them, but the ones I wanted to see - the Science Museum, the National Gallery, The British Museum, and in particular the Museum of Natural History, which was amazing - were all free of charge. Spent three days wandering through them all with only the cost of transit to show for the trips. If you like anything historical and don't get antsy looking at displays, I highly recommend all of the above.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only reason why most museums in London are free is because they are supported by the government funding. Before you did have to pay, but in a bid to allow culture to all, public funding was allocated to allow free admission. Donations are always welcomed though.

My best one was walking through Cinq Terre in Italy as it is a UNESCO Heritage Site. It is a tourist attraction and can get over crowded, but it is beautiful and they are at ways to maintain it and also to control numbers.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you enjoyed London's museums, @SLTE@SLTE, the MoNH is fantastic!

We are really lucky in the UK in that so many cultural attractions are free of charge. Aside from London, my favourites are Tate Liverpool, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in York.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    There are many free things to do and see in Chicago, Illinois. My favorite free tourist attraction while visiting Chicago has been the Lincoln Park Zoo. It has a wide variety of animal habitats to view, and the zoo itself is located in Lincoln Park, from which you can see beautiful Lake Michigan. Also located in Lincoln Park is a conservatory, with awesome species of plants from all over the world. It is free to view as well.

Some of the most spectacular free attractions I have seen are the plentiful waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, as well as Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising, Michigan. They are the most beautiful, natural, free places I have ever been.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I was in Vancouver and we went to Stanley Park. The park is free and quite an amazing place. It is one of the best known parks in the world, next to Central Park. It is just breathtaking, you get a view of the mountains, water and trees. There are trails to hike and beaches to visit. You can't miss checking out the totem poles made by the Aboriginal people of Canada's west coast. If you are ever in Vancouver you must go there.

6. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Of course I enjoyed many travel experiences at free tourists spots and had great time there. Here I am going to tell you about my memorable day in Battery Park that I spent in New York where I had lovely moments. Its lovely sculptures and lush green views force me to stay there for full day with my family and enjoy a full day picnic there. I am going again in New York to enjoy day tours of new york with friends and will make sure to be there once again.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was in Singapore this past weekend. Our first target was the Merlion. It is a fountain with the appearance of a lion and mermaid. Tourists flock to that site for pictorials. Beside it is the activity area where there was an exposition and festival. After half a kilometer, we reached the Gardens by the Bay. Aside from the unique plants and trees, there was also a playground and a fountain playground too where children can get wet (bathing actually). All those attractions that took us more than half a day.. are for free.

8. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This must be really having such a good time for sure.