Best Gift for Newborns During Christmas?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by lemony • Dec 1, 2014.

1. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I have a friend who is pregnant and is expecting to deliver the baby sometime during Christmas. I was thinking of gifting a Santa-themed or elf-themed costume just for fun, but I am considering that there might be better things that they would need instead.

How about a diaper bag or a diaper cake? Maybe a baby stroller? My fourth choice is an electronic breast pump for my friend instead (since I just saw free shipping on infant-related products on

).

These choices make it difficult for me to make up my mind.

What do you think would be the best item to gift?

#1Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Myself, I think a breast pump might be a bit too personal for me to give as a gift. I would think most moms would like to pick out their own item on something like that. This is a really good thread idea though, as I'm in the same boat, trying to think of a good newborn/expectant mom gift (and I'm sure we're not the only ones). I'm currently crocheting a baby blanket, but I would also like to think of something else to give, both for baby and for mom. I'm thinking of making gift baskets. Baby stuff for the baby and for the mom, stuff for her to pamper herself. Open to all ideas though.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want to get them things they need, I would just ask them what's still on their "to get" list and try to put a dent in it for them. Or just think of all the necessities and throw together a nice big gift basket for them. Or maybe a date night package for when they're ready to have some alone time again. Dinner and a movie or something. I'm sure they'll love every minute of being new parents, but they'll probably appreciate a night to focus on just each other again.. if they can bring themselves to not worry or talk about the baby the whole time lol ;)

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Gift baskets are a splendid idea! Parents of newborn I've known also enjoyed gift cards to stores where you can buy the basic necessities -- diapers, baby powder and all. It allows them to not have to factor this stuff in the budget for as long as there is some money on the gift card. Myself, I love knitting for babies, it goes so fast and it's the cutest.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Does she not have a registry somewhere, like at Babies-R-Us? I agree with an above comment that what she'd probably appreciate most is something she really needs/wants, not just something random. Also that a breast pump is way too personal of a gift and that is something she will doubtless be buying herself if she needs it.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A great product to give in this case would be a baby monitor. It's very useful because even as a new parent people need to get some rest and relaxation time away from he baby and the baby monitor provides the best compromise for both getting to have some personal time and still being able to watch over the baby. I'm sure these days there are much more technologically advanced versions of it so that's even better.

7. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    You can absolutely never have too many diapers. Even if the family plans to cloth diaper, having a few disposable diapers on hand is always useful.

It's even helpful to buy from a variety of diaper brands. I know that when I was a first time mom, I had no idea which brands I'd prefer. I originally loved Pampers, but then once they were in size 2 switched to the Up and Up brand or Luvs. It was nice when other people had bought me those diapers, because then I didn't have to invest in a brand I might or might not like.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the expecting mom might have a big baby, in which case they might not use the newborn size at all. So, keep that in mind when you are shopping for the new little one.