Best Gifts For Kids?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Jul 22, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying gifts for kids the first question most people ask themselves is, what toy will the kid like? Since almost everyone will send the kid a toy, the kid will have so many toys that s/he won't play with some of them. Wouldn't it be better to buy the kid something else which they'll use often?

What do you guys think of buying clothes as gifts for kids?

2. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Maybe a kids tablet for games

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All of my young nieces and nephews have tablets. So I think that it's a safe bet to give to kids. If you're on a budget though, then stick with clothes instead.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Being a teacher I love to give books. I've had a lot of compliments on giving thoughtful picture books or chapter books as Christmas or birthday presents. I always inscribe the books with the date and a nice sentiment so that it's a special book. I always ask what the child likes and do research into finding appropriate books. The love of reading is priceless.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Like @purplepen88@purplepen88 I also like the idea of giving books. My son is a book lover. He has over twenty books now and he is just a year old. We repeat reading the stories everyday lol. He still loves them though especially those books with many pictures. So if someone gives him a book, I am pretty sure he will love it!

6. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    Its a great idea to give books instead of games and tablet... Story books, drawing books, fiction books would be the best gift for kids.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like buying clothes for kids unless that kid specifically likes fashion and dressing up. I remember being a kid and being so disappointed whenever I unwrapped a gift and it turned out to be clothes. Of course now I can appreciate it but back then all I really wanted were toys, even if I would eventually stop playing with them after only a few days or weeks. Some toys I was surprised by in a way that I initially didn't think much of them but after a while I grew to like them a lot. I think toys are still the best choice unless they have a specific personality or interest.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think gifts for kids should be fun to open. I always hated opening clothes, although I guess I should have been more appreciative lol. I don't know.. we just know our kids. We get them things that fit their interests and people always know enough to ask us what those interests are if they don't already know. That leaves very few gifts that don't actually get used. The clothes they receive usually don't end up getting worn. Unless you ask a child/teen exactly what clothes they want, it's not always a safe bet lol (unless you see them often or they're you're own kids and you know their style well).

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think many of us have horror stories concerning the hand knitted sweaters thrust upon us as gifts during our childhood! A big issue with getting clothes as gifts is sizing. Kids grow so fast that it's likely what you've bought might not even fit. If you want to get something practical like this, it's probably best to ask the parents about what is needed.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yep yep yep, this. I hated getting clothes when I was a kid, and I always got them from the same people (one of my grandmothers and one of my aunts). I'd rather leave the clothing to the parents and buy kids something fun, like a toy or a book. Or a game, more often, these days. These things will last a lot longer than clothes that the child will grow out of within a year or two.

I'd only make an exception for hats. Hats can stretch. They're also more fun, for some reason.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Christmas shopping for children used to be a breeze because I usually buy toys or clothes. But now it seems that children have changed their taste and they don't get satisfied with the usual gift. Last year, a grandchild received a lego set and showed his discontent. He would like to have a new tablet. What? Yeah, that's the culture of children now, they are more of the digital technology than the usual toys.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just always go for toys!
    I remember being a child and dreading birthdays and Christmases when everyone gave me clothes, shoes and stuff I couldn't play with. I loved getting toys.
    So now that I am an adult I will rarely give clothes to kids, mostly fun and educational toys!

13. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I love when people buy my kids clothes for gifts. All my husband and I think to get are toys and we shoudn't because then just like you said, they don't play with them that often. There are good alternatives. You can get coloring books, board games, puzzles, items for dressing up, etc. I think we gt so used to what the norm is, that we don't think outside the box anymore when it comes to gifts. I'm glad I came across this thread because I need to do this myself. But now that my daughter is getting older it's easier for me. She doesn't need toys anymore. Now she needs educational things and clothes. And books is always a great one!

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always get kids something they need and something they want. I get them a toy and a book. I like to give them something educational like a science kit. I gave my cousin a crystal making kit and she loved it! It was educational and pretty.