Best Microwave Popcorn Brand

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 12, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've gotten to eat a good amount of different microwave popcorn brands and I honestly can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive brands. I'd maybe be able to detect a subtle cheaper quality to some of them, but for the most part, if I were presented with a cheap microwave popcorn in a bowl and had no idea what brand it was, I don't think I'd be able to tell whether it was a cheap one or not.

Also, I'd love to know if any of the microwave popcorn brands are able to come close to the taste of cinema popcorn or if there's anything I can do to replicate those at home, since I like those the most but have no idea on what makes cinema popcorn so good as opposed to the microwaved variety.

2. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    Have you ever tried making your own microwave popcorn with a paper bag? It costs a lot less than even the cheapest commercial microwave stuff. It's pretty easy too. All you need is a brown paper bag (lunch bag size) and a half cup of popcorn. Put the popcorn into the bag and fold the top down a few times so that the popcorn doesn't fly out. Microwave it for about a minute and a half, depending on your microwave. After it's done, you can add butter, salt, or whatever seasonings you like. Some people love to sprinkle their popcorn with cheese packets from macaroni and cheese, but I've never tried it.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm the same way. There might be some subtle differences, but for the most part, they are all the same for me.

The biggest difference for me tends to be the seasonings or butter. Even with cinema popcorn, it's all about the butter flavoring. The popcorn itself doesn't feel/taste any different to me.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There's nothing really magical about movie theater popcorn imo, it's just popped then tossed with a ton of salt and that fake butter stuff. When a fried of mine worked the concession stand at one of our local theaters, she pointed out the container of it to me, and showed me what it looked like - it was pretty gross.

I prefer to not buy those microwave popcorn pouches, because they are loaded with bad fats, and tons of artificial chemicals - some of which are carcinogenic.

All you really need are some paper sandwich bags, and some popping corn kernels. You can make your own, and it's a whole lot healthier, and it pops up just like the store bought variety, without all the bad chemicals and fake stuff. Just throw some kernels in the bag, and roll up the opening tightly them microwave it as you normally would.

If you really want to take it up a notch, consider making your own home made butter to melt over it. There are recipes online that will show you how to make it in a food processor or blender.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Can't deal with buttery topping or anything that is mostly vegetable oil or weird stuff. Give me butter. Now the best microwave popcorn is one I haven't seen in a year or so, Orville Redenbacher Lime and Salt. Add about 1/2 stick of melted butter and a little sugar...talk about heaven. MMM mmm

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I've tried putting melted butter on my microwave popcorn and it just tasted way too different from the butter you get at theaters, and it's really made me want to hunt one down although I've never been fortunate enough to come across it in groceries. I wonder what they put in that fake butter at cinemas that make them so perfect for popcorn, and I really hope I can find one I can use at home someday.