Best Place For Harness For Overweight Dog?

Discussion in Pets started by Liv6 • Jun 22, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6Member

Threads:
    My eight-year-old miniature poodle has recently grown quite overweight (we spoiled her to death), and she currently doesn't fit into her harness. I would like to start taking her on walks again to help her lose weight, but I'm afraid to use just a leash and collar as she tends to pull hard on the leash when she gets excited. I don't want her to choke herself, especially considering that poodles are prone to tracheal collapse. However, she is too big for the medium-sized harness at Petco and too small for the large. Where would be the best place to purchase a good-fitting harness for her?

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a 'Pet City' near you? or an equally large store that sells pet products. You could also look online. What you need is a harness that you can adjust to the size of your dog. In the meantime why not have a daily 'funtime' with your pooch?

A daily time of having fun, throwing him a ball, running around the garden, or just getting him active in the house will help him to get the weight off a bit. Try also to feed him less and give healthy treats like carrots and apples. Dogs are just like humans, they can put on weight if they eat too much and don't exercise.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if there would be any sort of trick and special technique, and it probably really just depends on the dog. I think back to my friends dog who was huge, but had these tiny legs so nothing ever fit him.