Best place to buy an HD TV.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by chriswild1122 • May 18, 2013.

1. chriswild1122

chriswild1122New Member

Threads:
    I'm shopping around for an HDTV and am wondering if it's a better bet to get them in store or shop around a bit online. If online is my better option can someone recommend a few sites? I've been to Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.ca but I can't say I've been bowled over by any of the deals. I'm preferably looking for places that ship to Canada as I am a Canadian resident but would be willing to ship the television to a U.S address if there was a significant price advantage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    For those kinds of things, wouldn't it be better of buy at a local retail store? If anything happens to it, you can always return it without much cost. That is what i have always done with expensive hardware, even if it costs a little more.

3. chriswild1122

chriswild1122New Member

Threads:
    I suppose. I was looking for cost savings first and foremost. I can always buy an extended warranty through a friend that sells them at a discounted price should I go the online route. I've looked locally but nothing has struck my fancy nor has it meshed with my budget. I'm going to wait until the end of the summer for a Labor Day sale; I think this is the most prudent option. Thanks for your advice though! If anyone else has any opinions please share.

4. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    If you're not looking for the latest in TV technology, the Sony 40" 1080p 60Hz LCD is going for $330 on Newegg. I bought mine about 2 years ago for about $650 and I have been quite happy with it. I have to say I am not a gamer so I don't know how it compares but it has been just fine for watching movies and dramas. You have to do your own calibration since the standard setting isn't that great but help is readily available online.

5. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    You can either buy it online, or go to a store like Best Buy, or any other local store that sells TV's. You have to do research before you actually go though, the assistants at the store won't help much other than to persuade you to buy a TV.

6. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I think you are best off going in store, mostly because you may have to pay large shipping costs if you buy it online. Any heavy objects I try and get locally before looking online, mainly for that reason. I think there will be some place online though that do free shipping, so it still may be a good option too.

7. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    I will cast my vote to Shoppingspout.com because I have never come across a website that holds so many deals and offers. In comparison to other websites, the price seems pretty low.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would just pick one up at a local store, personally. Whatever they are saving you online is going to get eaten up in shipping costs, as well as insurance if you get that on it too. Walmart has plenty of reasonably priced TV's including the Vizio brand. I bought one a few years ago, and never had a problem with it. Plus, if you ever decide to get into "cord cutting" and ditching your cable for streaming stuff online - the video quality is already lower so there's not really a need to have the most advanced screen.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would highly recommend to shop at best buy. I have recently bought all my tech gadgets from there and I have not been disappointed with anything. The deals they have at these stores are absolutely amazing so I really can't pass it up.
    I highly recommend their weekend sales.

10. kad613

kad613New Member

Threads:
    When we bought our HD TV we were going to Walmart to buy it,as it was the cheapest we found online, but we stopped at Loblaws for groceries and ended up buying it there. It was $100.00 cheaper! I would keep checking online at different places like Best Buy, Walmart and Future Shop. Check their online flyers regularly.

11. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember any specific website, not being in Canada, but I generally vote for online. It's usually a lot cheaper if you shop around the deals, if just based on the amount of available deals. A lot of places will have a warranty that includes pick-up from your home if something goes wrong. The only downside is not being able to see it in action, which you can do at a shop anyway if it's a popular model.

12. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    The best place to buy an HD TV is probably Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart always has good prices and deals to match. Not only are they low priced televisions, they also have a wide variety of televisions as well. There are also stores like Best Buy whom also have great prices and varieties on televisions as well.