Best Place To Sell Your E-book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Denis Hard • Oct 14, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many outlets for your work these days on the net but the problem is how do you find the best platform to market your e-book? Someone told me I should try Amazon but as Amazon isn't the only place I'd like to find a place where I can make more cash, faster and maybe, longer. I came across some site where you upload your file [in my case, the e-book] and you get paid a certain amount of money [pennies] when it gets downloaded. The logic of the game is earn a percentage of ad revenue displayed on the page where the link to your file is displayed.

What do you think, is this better than actually selling a copy or two on Amazon or some other online store?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, get them on as many places as possible. The more places you have covered, the more people are likely to see them and hopefully this will boost some sales. You may not be making a lot from some places but there is no harm in it.

3. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Thanks! I guess that would be the best thing to do. In order to reach the greatest number of potential buyers. . .

One thing I don't know is whether any of these sites have any claims of exclusively being the sole platform you can use?

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon is a good place to sell your e-book but you need to be aware that there is A LOT of competition for e-books on Amazon and being ranked high on the Kindle store search is not easy.

You would need to advertise and promote your e-book as much as possible, you can use social networking for that.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    This might depend on who your target readers are, most probably there are forums intended for these readers. If your ebook is about gaming then maybe you get more sales if you let the gamers know about your ebook by going into their forum. I prefer to sell my ebook in ejunkie though.

6. Denis Hard

Threads:
    But won't your post get flagged as spam if you pitch hard in a post? Would settling for a passive [my link is in the signature] marketing strategy work? I for one, never click on any links unless they're within the body of a forum post.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about you make a blog and sell your ebook there? You wouldn't have to worry about your ebook's popularity rank like in Amazon. You just have to concentrate in getting traffic to your site.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could also make your eBook compatible for Android devices and release it at the Google Play Store. I see a lot of eBooks being sold at the Android market right now and they are being sold at such high prices. I haven't bought a book at the Play Store myself but maybe if you price it right, I think a lot of people would buy into your product.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks! I didn't know that Google Play sells ebooks. I will have to check that out right away! I wonder what Google Play's cut is and how fast do they payout.

I was going to suggest selling your ebook on your own site. Domains and hosting are very inexpensive. You would need to drive your own traffic though.

Hard selling in forums is not a good idea. If you don't get banned, then you might get flamed. Just actively participate in the forum and have a link to your site in your signature. Forum signature marketing doesn't get much respect, but it can be effective.

10. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I think either Amazon or Barnes and Noble is a good place to sell your E-book. However, keep in mind that Amazon and Barnes and Noble do charge you fees for selling your E-book on their site. I think there's a percentage they take away from your earning once you sold your E-book, which isn't a lot considering you earn money for every consumer who purchases your E-book.

11. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I like Payhip :). I put mine on the site and I manage to sell a few a week. I like the site because its free and they don't take much profit like Amazon. You may wish to go and take a look :)

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't sold any ebooks formally. I've taken a look at Payhip and what it offers is a straightforward process to sell your books to your fans and readers. Amazon and Barnes and Noble have systems that are well-known by their writers. Ebay lets you sell your ebooks under the everything else category, and your work needs to follow a different set of digitally delivered goods policy.

13. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    You might also try to market your ebook through

. I think you'd have to have your own website or blog set up first where you are selling the ebook, and then you can pay affiliate marketers through clickbank when they refer someone to your site who actually makes a purchase of your book. It looks like you can set the commission rate you pay too versus them setting it.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    There's no harm in trying to sell it thru your signature link (you're here anyway). I for one, do click on forum signatures if I find it interesting. I also get good traffic coming from my own signature. And also, if you're posting your ebooks in the right category (like the forum's marketplace) then I don't see anything wrong with it (I don't think it would be flagged as spam). :)

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon's CreateSpace is particularly great for people who hope to publish their books independently, be it in electronic format or in physical copy. Here is a link to the page:

. They even give you your own ISBN number. You have the option to avail of premium services which can be customized based on your needs. The other places I know that will help you sell your e-book are Tablo.io and Smashwords.

16. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I didn't even know you could sell them...

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How much exposure do you get there, though? For Amazon, it seems to me that the independent authors are almost buried under layers and layers of other stuff. Most of the time you don't even get exposure from the "free book" sites that dig thru Amazong listings..