Best Popped Popcorn

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Allison2021 • Dec 3, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Best Popped Popcorn!
    My cousin used a Whirley Popper that she bought on Amazon. The popcorn tasted amazing. However, out the corner of my eye I noticed a familiar labeled jar. It was the coconut oil that I suggested over a year ago. She had been going to Trader Joe's to purchase their jar of coconut oil. It was called Nature's way. I suggested ordering it from Amazon instead. That was when I often paid for a yearly Amazon subscription that would include free shipping.
    Anyway, the coconut oil is what makes the difference.

Now, I will only cook popcorn on top of the stove using coconut oil.

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting idea to use coconut oil for popping popcorn, I've honestly never considered using something different like this to make popcorn.
    The only thing I do with popcorn sometimes is to mix orange zest and sugar in a mortar and pestle and then I sprinkle the resulting sugar over the popcorn, it gives them a great orange flavor.

3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I have tired of microwave popcorn. When I was young we cooked it on top of the stove. I noticed that you can still buy Jiffy Pop aluminum pans and cook it the old-fashioned way. That sure brings back memories! I am thinking about getting one. The kids would get a kick out of it, and I am betting it has a better taste than the microwave stuff.

4. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I thought I was the only one who used coconut oil for popping popcorn. Popcorn certainly does taste delicious when using coconut oil. I am glad that someone else finds it to be just as delicious as me. I don't use any other types of oil to pop popcorn and I do pop mine on the stove. There's really no other way to do it here, besides by fire. Microwave popcorn sounds pretty scary to me with all the radiation going through it.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The only type of popcorn I purchase is organic to avoid all the GMO crap. We then use this white cheddar black pepper seasoning that we put on the popcorn. Once I experienced white cheddar there was no going back to regular butter or fake street flavor.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We used to make popcorn on the stove top but nowadays we're all too lazy to do so. I know the freshness isn't the same and the flavor is lacking some subtle goodness you'd get from freshly popped popcorn on a stove using your own recipes but I think microwave popcorn is good enough as an alternative, especially when the brand is good. My favorite is Oliver's but I haven't tasted that many brands to form a good enough standard of comparison.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Orville Reddenbacher used to make a Lime and Salt recipe that was good but add some melted butter and sugar, and it was awesome! Can't find it anymore and it's just as well because I would pig out on it. I also like Poppycock original but what I can't get enough of these days is Trader Joes Chicago style - caramel and cheddar mixed together!