Best Tea Brands & Flavors

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Sep 24, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    [​IMG]

I've been trying to experiment with different teas recently but unfortunately haven't come across any exceptionally great ones. So far, the ones I've come across that I liked are of the ordinary variety such as just green tea from Great Value and also Lipton. I've been seeing a few that were made from many other different ingredients and of different flavors such as hunger, pomegranate, etc. but seeing as they all come in boxes, it would be costly for me to buy each variation and if they turn out to be unappealing then I would only waste that whole box. That said, it's why I'd like to get some suggestions from you guys on some other alternative teas that you could recommend. I've already tried honey ginger and don't like it very much and now I have a whole box of it just sitting in my pantry.

Do you guys have any alternative tea suggestions, meaning those that aren't made with just tea leaves? Feel free to discuss traditional teas here as well so others can make use of the thread, I'm just pointing out which ones I would prefer. Thanks!

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    If you want to try some teas look and see if you have a Teavana store nearby. They're usually in the mall. They have a couple of samples to try and have more tea leaves out to smell. I can usually tell if I'd enjoy drinking it by giving it a sniff.

You could also look for a specialty tea store or a grocer that sells tea by weight, not box. I've seen a few here and there. It's a good way to sample without buying a bunch at once. A craftier way to try new teas is to have a tea party with your friends :) Have everyone sign up to bring a different kind and everybody gets to try each variety. You could also make little sandwiches and cookies. I do this but with craft beers.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a local Teavana store in the mall near me. It always smells great, but I haven't tried any of their teas. I do know that they are somehow related to Starbucks because my gold card is accepted there.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a PG fan but then switched to Tetley. I like a strong tea so PG doesn't quite do it for me any more. However these days I buy Typhoo because it is very strong and very cheap. It comes in sacks of over 1000 for just £10 which is unbeatable value anywhere else. Even the discount brands are more expensive than massive Typhoo sacks. However they rapidly loose flavour after 6 months. This doesn't bother me though as I can easily get through 4-6 cups per day.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think Twinings of London has the smoothest texture of any tea I have every had. Unfortunately their tea does not say it is organic, so I rarely buy it. I usually get bulk organic teas and have found the Assam tea to have a wonderful, not very bitter flavor. I do not know the brand of course because it is bulk.

For boxed teas, an organic favorite of mine is Choice Organic Tea. I recently tried their Russian Caravan tea and LOVED it! It is a very exotic tasting and smelling tea, they weren't kidding when they said it is smokey, but it was wonderful. I will definitely be coming back to that one every time it goes on sale.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be an avid tea drinker. However, because my stomach started hurting from tea, I stopped. I used to drink Lipton Green Tea. I don't like those blends with flowers like jasmine because I do not like the smell.

7. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I recommend Teavana's tea collection. Even though its a bit more pricey than something you might find at your local grocery store, the teas are absolutely wonderful. They taste extremely good and Teavana has very interesting blends of teas, meant for hot and cold consumption. Definitely prefer it over Lipton and the other cheap brands, but if you're looking to save as much money as possible, I would go with the cheaper ones.