Best Tips for Lowering Cell Phone Bills

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by True2marie • Dec 21, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Some of my friends' cell phone bills are out of control. What they pay monthly is outrageous. I opt to go another route. Here are three ways I save money on this cost.

1. Communicate via e-mail. E-mail still exists and people have no problem communicating this route. And, it's free!

2. Limit who gets my cell number. Some individuals just don't need my cell number or phone number period. So, I keep the number low.

3. Have short conversations. To me, a long, complicated phone call is usually something that requires face-to-face communication.

What are your best tips for lowering cell phone bills?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We switched from a contract plan to a pre-paid plan with another company and cut our bill in half.

The only downside is that you don't get upgraded phone deals every 2 years. But with how much we are saving in that time, we'd easily pay for a new phone and then some.

Example #1: we had 2 AT&T iPhone 3's on a plan together. My husband had unlimited minutes, 200mb of data, and no texting. I had 2100 minutes, 200mb of data, and no texting. We had a 15% "discount" and our total bill was still $150 a month.

Now: a cousin gave us their old Verizon iPhone 4's. My husband has unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 500MB of data. I have 1200 minutes (which I never come close to using), 300 texts a month, and 500MB of data. We pay a total of $75 a month for this AND, because the network runs off Verizon towers, our coverage is actually better than it was with AT&T. We use Page Plus Wireless.

3. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    An unlimited plan will avoid extra charges. There are several companies that offer the services on a prepaid basis. Boost mobile offers a plan that with on time payments every six months the bill goes down 5.00 it is pretty good, and all services including net surfing are free.

4. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I stay out of contracts. If you can't pay, have a couple of bad months or something, it is very likely that they will charge you a high disconnection fee. I buy prepaid cards for my phone. They are unlimited for about $50 a month, and there is no contract. If, you can't pay you don't. Then you just puck up where you left off.

5. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what cell phone plan do you have. I have 4 lines in my cell phone plan, which two of them have unlimited data while the other two don't. I pay probably about the same amount for data of both lines, which I save $20 on both lines because I have upgraded to Simple Easy plan, which T-mobile offers when you upgrades to a new smartphone that's going to be paid in a full retail price but split into 24-month payment. The voice plan has increased but the data plan has decreased for that reason. It's cheaper than what I used to pay, but still expensive considering I now have to pay the phones in full price but I only pay a small amount each month for 24 months. I am going to switch to a prepaid mobile plan in the near future when I pay off my phone.

6. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    Honestly, a tip that works for me is to just call them and threaten to switch to a competitor, sure you are going to have to pay a cancellation fee, but they big companies don't want that! They would much rather you stay with them and offer you a small discount. Another thing people can do if they have no texting (but have data) is to use textplus. It's an app that allows you to text for free if you have an internet connection.