Best type of Coffee Maker?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ddiamond89 • Sep 21, 2012.

1. ddiamond89

ddiamond89New Member

Threads:
    Hey all,

I did some research online about the best types of coffee makers, and I was wondering what you guys think. What is the best way to make coffee?

Keep in mind, there are a few variables to keep track of when making coffee. Among them are:

(1) Amount of Time to brew
    (2) Difficulty of Clean-up
    (3) Taste of the coffee (obviously an important one)
    (4) Cost

I personally have a Keurig K-Cup brewer. I don't have alot of time in the morning before heading to school/work, since I enjoy sleeping in till the last minute. That's why I love the keurig. It brews coffee in under a minute. The machine itself can range from $100 - $200, but it pays for itself pretty quickly if you usually buy your coffee in coffee-shops. The average price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, tim hortons, timothy's etc. is usually between $1. 50 and $2.00. If you find the right sources, keurig k-cups can be bought for around 50 or 60 cents a cup. Thus, the machine pays for itself after approximately 100 coffees (or 2 months, for the average coffee drinker).

The clean-up is SIMPLE. You toss out the old k -cup, and that's it. No cleaning up grinds. No rinsing out permanent-filters.

The one problem with k-cup brewing is that its not as fun as selecting the beans yourself, grinding them, and brewing them. Even though k cups are each nitrogen flushed to protect them from oxygen exposure, they just don't taste as fresh as a fresh-brewed cup o' joe from a french press of drip-machine.

I was looking into purchasing the grind- and - brew shown in this video, but it seems like the arduous clean-up, and lengthy brewing time make it unworthy of comparison to a k-cup brewer.

What do you guys use to brew coffee, and why do you prefer that method?[/B][/B]

2. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer the Keurig for the same reasons you mentioned. It's a great time saver and clean up is easy. I do dislike the price, but the taste of the coffee is the most important thing to me. I feel like I get a great tasting cup each time with a Keurig. If I want another cup, which I usually do, it's easy to brew a different flavor.
    Occasionally on Saturday, I'll pull out my old coffee pot and the grinder and have a cup that way.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never knew that about the nitrogen. I was wondering why they tasted so fresh. I scoffed at getting one of those when they came out, then my workplace had them temporarily when they were remodeling, and I was drinking them like crazy.

I've often wondered if those Keurig pods are cheaper than buying the beans and grinding them yourself. Because those bags of beans can really add up too.

Currently I use a Cuisinart burr mill grinder to grind my beans, then I have a Cuisinart coffee maker. It has a spot to put a charcoal filter in it, but I don't use that. I could never taste a difference with that thing anyhow, and they're expensive. I filter my water through a Zero Water tank. The Zero Water thing makes a huge difference, you can seriously taste the difference vs. Pur or Brita filters.

At one of my previous work places, we had a little coffee club going, and they were big on using electric percolators. Those also make really great rich coffee, and they're low maintenance.

4. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Keurig. They are absolutely amazing!

5. ancientson

ancientsonNew Member

Threads:
    LOVE LOVE my Keurig, and STAPLES has a sale on until Oct 6th, they are offering rebates, I just bought a 20 off 75 coupon for staples at

and I paid 5.00 but it takes 20.00 of my price...and then Staples is sending me another 20.00 so I bought my grandson a mini B31 for only 64.99 BRAND NEW! They also have the b145 which has a 25.00 rebate and with the coupon is only 89.99! That is what we have and have used for four years! I think the basic b145 is the best. The fancy Keurig's have to much to go wrong and breakdown. Great Coffee and great speed. Also, this site, where I found my Staples coupon had a way to get the K Cup 24 Count boxes for under 9.99 per box also from Staples...with FREE DELIVERY! Kinda the best way to drink K Cups! The lady really knows her Keurig, lol I am going to go get one more In Store Coupon and buy another Mini Keurig for my sister for Christmas!

6. ancientson

ancientsonNew Member

Threads:
    Hi there, I just posted below, but there is a site,

and they give full instructions on how to buy the 24 count boxes from Staples for only 9.65 a box. They sell the information for 10.00 but it was the best investment I ever made. It used to be cheaper cause she used to have 25.00 off 75.00 coupons and now they are 20.00 off 75.00 but even so, you order like 6 boxes, and there is like 50 different kinds. They delivery free next day. Anyways, brings the price of the K cup down to about 44 Cents, it is the only way I buy K cups now, lol. Hope this helps!

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I worry that the Keurig's popularity will eventually fade and I'll be stuck with this thing. Besides, for real coffee flavor, there's nothing better than a french press.

8. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    I'm a Keurig fan. Good coffee every time, and if you have people who don't like the same kind of coffee, it's ideal. My kid likes flavored coffee, mu wife like weak coffee, I like strong coffee. So no one has to compromise, we don't waste anything, and I found a kind that doesn't' have the plastic cups so I'm not loading up landfills anymore.

9. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I have a Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew. I got it four years ago, and it still hums like a sewing machine. Whether I want to make coffee from whole beans or from the Folgers container, the amount of time required is the same, and this machine is super-easy to clean up. I brew coffee a couple of times a day on a normal day - more than that when I'm burning the midnight oil, and this machine has never let me down. I don't know if this particular model is still available, but I give it two thumbs up if it is!

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I really prefer getting my coffee at Dunkin Donuts. If I have to make it at home I like using a French Press. It really does the job for me and its much easier.

11. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Mind if I ask you where you bought your French Press from? I am in the market for a new one.

12. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest, we had one of those Bosch coffee machines (the manufacturer gave me free one for work) and I got rid of it in a few months because it was just a waste. We (well just my fiancee because the only coffee I can drink is Tim Hortons) bought a basic coffee machine for $10 and is more efficient and even cheaper because those cups for the Bosch and Keurig are $15! Bah!

As someone noted above who likes to drink Dunkin' Donuts, I will always prefer a Tim Hortons java once or twice a week.

13. guruespresso

guruespressoNew Member

Threads:
    I too love coffee a lot. In fact I drink 1-2 cups of coffee every day. I like latte and black coffee.. Hmm.. thinking of having a coffee maker at home to save time in making favorite coffee.. Is keurig convinent to use?

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You all may find this ridiculous, but my coffee maker is a sock. Yes, I said a sock. If you put a few scoops of coffee into a clean sock, tie a knot on the top, and boil it in a small pot of water, you will get a few decent cups of coffee. Then, just empty and wash the sock.

15. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Keurig is definitely convenient to use, but it can get pricey if you stick with just the k-cups. I personally have had a Keurig for the last year (I got it last Christmas), and it was one of the best gifts ever. I use it all the time for both coffee and tea. I buy boxes of k-cups, especially if they are on sale - and now you can find them almost anywhere (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, the grocery store, places like CVS, Amazon, etc.). I also have a MY K-Cup, which is just the filter and you can fill it up yourself with your own grounds; this is a really great approach because the k-cups themselves can get pricey if you drink 1-2 cups a day. Plus, some delicious coffee won't come in k-cups.