Best Way To Grocery Shop For Less?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Miaka_M • Jul 4, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    My number one tip to keep your grocery budget low is to keep an eye on those flyers!

When you're planning to cook your meals, look at what is on sale and budget yourself to that. In this way, you are bound to not over spend and you can get some great deals. Although, you have to try and restrain yourself from the deadly "chips and cookie" aisle because those areas have demonic auras that draw you in to spend!

What do you think? Do you do this already and is it working for you?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Coupons! I love using coupons. I recently moved to the US, and I just discovered the power of coupons.Where I came from, there are such things as manufacturer's coupons. So, I do not understand why some people feel ashamed when they use coupons. I mean come on. People are giving you a way to save money for free!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The way I save money on groceries:

I buy only what I'll need. Since I buy the same groceries each week, I know what will get me through the week and will buy only what will last that long. That way none of the food bought is wasted. This strategy only works if you are sure the prices of groceries won't change abruptly.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also try to get the same stuff each week. I very rarely deviate away from my list, and when I do it's usually because I've run out of stuff I don't buy weekly like washing powder, cleaning materials etc I keep an eye out for those promotional leaflets, BUT you absolutely have to be disciplined enough not to just go buying everything just because "it's cheap, and you'll find some use for it"! I find that to be a huge waste of money, and I only buy what I need. I don't really like those "buy one get so many free" promotions as there's just me and my husband. It's a huge waste of money if you don't really need it, in my opinion!

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky enough to live in the vicinity of several grocery stores so I'll make a list of what I need then compare prices across the board. Once I've worked out which stores have the best prices, I'll plan my route accordingly. Doing this might take a little time but the savings, to me, are worth it.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There are 3 different grocery stores that I shop for groceries at and I know which ones have the best deals on products I buy. I also use coupons whenever I can get them and I look through the sales flyers to see what ingredients and food items I can get on sale. In addition to this, I stock up on items like pasta sauce and noodles when they are on sale so that I always have these items on hand.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Make a list beforehand!

I'm glad I started doing this a few months back as its made a real difference in my grocery budget. I stick to what I originally planned on buying and don't really catch myself thinking "Oh, this looks good. Might as well get it." A $3 carton of ice-cream might not seem like a lot at a time, but if you do that with several items each time you go shopping, it really adds up over the course of a month.

Coupons and keeping an eye on sales are another great way to save money.

8. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    My boyfriend looks at the flier but I don't really bother with that because I feel like you end up buying things you don't really need just because they're on sale. I like making a list and strictly sticking to it. I also use coupons whenever possible and use the Safeway app for mobile coupons as well as the iBotta app which gives you rebates for buying certain products!

9. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    There are coupons that I will sometimes use when I have to go out and go shopping. Another thing is an app that helps me save, so that I can get money back for shopping. I think that's been able to really help me. I mean even if I save a little here and there then it starts to add up.

10. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    Coupons are the way forward!

I read an article about a woman that used coupons for everything and she got a weeks worth of shopping for next to nothing. ever since i have used lots of coupons and I save the money I save for a month, then treat myself to a day out!

11. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Clip coupons, check the flyers every week and shop at the stores that have the best buys even if it is several different stores. You can buy the generic brands. A lot of them taste just as good if not better then the name brand items.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Make a list of what you need and only buy those! This will save you a lot of time and money. We tend to buy things we do not need if we do not have a list to stick to. That has happened to me more times than I can count!

Also, l try to look for certain deals where items are packaged together. For instance, groceries always have buy two take one free for toothbrushes. This is a great deal. There are also a free soap in a package of five. You can save money this way.