Bets ways to reduce acne?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by primaLucid • Jan 12, 2015.

1. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    I have had acne for a few months now. At first, I tried over the counter products, but those didn't work. I moved onto special herbal drinks, but those didn't alleviate my acne either. Currently, I am using Exposed Skin Care, which seems to be doing the trick, but it seems like all it is doing is fixing the acne but new pimples are also appearing. Any tips on preventing acne? I try to drink plenty of water, and I wash my face. What food would you guys recommend to eat or avoid?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried Panoxyl Acnegel? I swear my pimples really dried up quick afterwards, like the next day after I applied it. Have you tried consulting a dermatologist though? What did they prescribe you?

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Have you made a change in any of your hair products? You might be having a reaction to them if you have. Actually, you might be having a reaction to hair products even if you haven't changed them lately.
    My skin has always been rather sensitive to such things. And to the different ingredients in soaps (facial and bath soaps) as well.
    The best thing I ever did for my skin was to start making my own soap. Even if you don't want to make your own soap or buy handmade natural soap there is still one more simple thing you can try. That is, make sure to change your pillowcase every three days or so because your pillowcase collects on it oil from your hair, traces of every product you use on your hair along with some of every product you use on your face and even those you use on your hands.
    All of these things can add up to one big acne cocktail on your pillow case, which is why I highly recommend you take up the pillow case changing habit because I believe if you do you will likely see a difference very soon.:)

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Have you made a change in any of your hair products? You might be having a reaction to them if you have. Actually, you might be having a reaction to hair products even if you haven't changed them lately.
    My skin has always been rather sensitive to such things. And to the different ingredients in soaps (facial and bath soaps) as well.
    The best thing I ever did for my skin was to start making my own soap. Even if you don't want to make your own soap or buy handmade natural soap there is still one more simple thing you can try. That is, make sure to change your pillowcase every three days or so because your pillowcase collects on it oil from your hair, traces of every product you use on your hair along with some of every product you use on your face and even those you use on your hands.
    All of these things can add up to one big acne cocktail on your pillow case, which is why I highly recommend you take up the pillow case changing habit because I believe if you do you will likely see a difference very soon.:)
    As far as eating or avoiding any foods, well you probably already know that an excess of fried foods or chocolate can trigger a bout of acne. I'm really thinking, though, that it is more likely something you're coming in contact with and that by doing the above you will find relief.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can not fix an internal problem externally. I'm sure you will get a ton of great tips and tricks from people here, but doing things topically is a bandaid. If you want to actually cure it, you need to fix it internally, with proper nutrition. Eating a diet in processed foods is the quickest way to skin issues, hormonal issues etc etc all the great things that lead to acne. I'd look there first if I were you. Cure, not treat.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think the best way to fix acne is to try some of the kitchen products on your face. But you must be careful, they can be allergic to you. I think it is best to try it out on only a small portion of your skin and then the larger one. I have tried out applying turmeric and vinegar. It really worked for me.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have read from many writings that it diet don't really have an effect on your acne. It's all the matter of hygiene. Nevertheless, I still do believe that diet play a role in developing or eradicating the acne. So I still believe in implementing eating precautions. I avoid fatty foods and chocolates. Avoiding chocolates is really hard though. And I often screw it up. I also understand that it's not just all about the diet, but also of the hygiene, so I was my face once that I got home with a soap that cleanses it and scrub it with an exfoliant for the blackheads and other comedones to get removed. So far, my own self-made routine is working really effectively for me. Also I scrub my face with Apple Cider Vinegar. I use the Bragg's for this.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, if you google it, you will find that turmeric is pretty amazing. I included it in a homemade concoction for treating a horse with sarcoids and the results were,...well, let's just say that my horse has been free of sarcoids for close to two years now and the skin where he had the lesions is smooth with the hair grown back.

And I use apple cider vinegar for many things, both around the house and in personal hygiene, so imagine the combination of apple cider vinegar and turmeric might well be pretty awesome for the skin.

Excellent suggestion from you, akiii123.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chronic issues are from within. If you got a break out and it's unlike you.. it's most likely external. We hear a lot of things have nothing to do with food, but we're made of what we eat.. everything is connected to what we consume.

10. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    My strategy is and always will be to wash my face regularly. The funny thing is that I would only wash my face with soap until I was in my twenties. I started to break out quite often, and soap wasn't cutting it, so I moved on to face wash which I use daily.

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have acne breakouts before, mostly on my nose and I was very frustrated with my skin back then. What I did was to switch to products that were recommended by my dermatologist. It turned out that my skin is very sensitive to the point that even a little percentage of dirt would cause acne outbreaks. I was able to prevent outbreaks from happening by washing my face two to three times a day. Doing this helped me keep my face clean and oil-free.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with acne, which followed me into adulthood. It also seemed to get worse over the years, progressing into cystic acne and leaving dark, unsightly marks. I used everything under the sun including antibiotics, nothing worked. Dermatologists were useless, and I saw many! Theories about hygiene (I mean, who doesn't wash their face?!), cutting out certain foods, drinking lots of water, eating healthy, taking exercise, not squeezing zits etc; I already observed those and nothing worked. I mean, I'm very anal about hygiene!

I started doing my own research and one day I stumbled across an over the counter product called Panoxyl Acnege. I decided to give it a shot and went for the highest strength Benzoyl Peroxide at 10%. I bought both the facewash and gel, and both came to just under 10-GBP! This was and still remains THE BEST acne remedy I ever used. I'd recommend it to all and sundry, all day every day. My acne ground to a halt, and then I concentrated on cleaning up my heavily scarred face. If you saw me today, you probably wouldn't believe me. Have a look at what other people have said about it:

To this day, I'm never without products that contain Benzoyl Peroxide for the occasional breakout, which is never ever as bad as it was before I started using this product. I usually have say three at most at any one time and I soon zap them with Benzoyl Peroxide. I now also take Brewer's Yeast herbal supplements. Good luck :)

#12Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I regularly get single yet horrible pimples. Honestly, I think they are borderline cysts. Usually when I picked them they would worsen and remain filled longer. However, I recently tried dabbing apple vinegar cider on one. The results were good. The blemish healed much quicker, leaving behind only the scab I picked it. It no longer stayed filled. You have to be careful with it, though. Apple cider vinegar is extremely strong. If you leave it on too long more damage may ensue.

14. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I would also like to recommend you using apple cider vinegar. My son would have acne, he played sports and would get outbreaks for the head gear. His doctor told us there is a few different reasons people get acne, one of the reasons is from bacteria. The apple cider vinegar kills bacteria. Just put some on a cotton ball after you wash your face, you can leave your face wet, use the cotton ball and lightly coat anyplace you break out. It may dry out your skin a bit at first while the ph balance corrects.

Make sure you always use a clean rag when you wash your face. Change bath towels frequently. Also make sure you change your pillow cases often, you can inadvertently re-infect yourself thru the pillow case. There are some medications the doctor can prescribe if you have very bad acne, do not be afraid to ask.

15. saastil

saastilNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with apple cider vinegar, both internally and externally. For internal, take 16oz of water and add 2 tablespoons of ACV, one tablespoon of honey, mix it up and drink through a straw over the course of an hour. For topical use, mix 1 cup water with 2 tablespoons ACV and use as a toner.

I also adore charcoal soaps for skincare. Try to find natural homemade ones on Etsy, that way they won't have any irritants.

Honey is a great cheap mask, it has antibacterial properties and is a humectant so it moisturizes too.

My biggest advice though is eat well, and don't go crazy with products for your face. Most of them are too harsh. All you really need is charcoal soap, ACV toner, honey mask, and an occasional bentonite clay mask. Good luck!

16. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    You're getting some great tips here! I wholeheartedly agree with the linens you come in contact with being a factor (and possibly the detergents they are washed in).

For me personally, the only product to ever work has been Proactiv. It's not just "As Seen on TV" hype; it really does work. You have to be really faithful with it, using it two times a day. In my experience, missing even one treatment can lead to a mini breakout.

Proactiv can bleach fabrics though, so you may want to pick up a few white pillowcases. That would kill two birds with one stone, as you'd always have a fresh pillowcase! :D

17. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Since people have such different skin types, I think before you go out and buy all these different products, you figure out what kind you have and try the products that more commonly work for that skin type. It's still a wide range of products to choose from, but it narrows it down some. If the acne is bad enough, I suggest going to a dermatologist and see if they can help you. Note that some of the stuff they prescribe you will take a few months to show, and it may get worse before it gets better.

Other things that might cause acne could be your pillows, fingers, phones, etc. Be aware what comes in contact with your face. Try not to pick at your skin too much. Make sure to clean your cloths/pillowcases often. I heard that the pillows themselves might contribute to acne, but I'm not too sure if that's the case for most people. Never hurts to try though.

Foods that might cause acne vary from person to person, but for me, dairy has started being the bane of my skin. I feel like if I ever eat more than a little dairy, new pimples pop up!

18. lollie

lollieNew Member

Threads:
    Straying away from acne is a very hard task, especially if your skin is sensitive and acne prone. I've been battling with acne since middle school and it's been so difficult with my trial/error phase and figuring out what works and doesn't.

While you might not find the perfect product, there are many things you can do to try and eliminate the spread of acne:

• Drink plenty of water everyday
    • Wash your sheets/pillowcases every 2 weeks
    • Don't touch your face with hands or anything with bad bacteria
    • Gently wash your face morning and evening with a mild face wash
    • Moisturize and exfoliate (once a week)

Good luck!

19. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I have suffered from ance before and it quite disgusting. It seems my face is disfigured. I don't know if you have heard this idea but for I used lemon as part of my face wash every morning. It is effective in cleansing the skin and it removes pimples and blackheads. Aside from that I always wash my face twice everyday in the morning with lemon and in the evening with regular soap. Never touch the acne or pimples hardly it might break the skin and cause bacterial infection.