BIG LOTS - a new store review

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gracie • Oct 7, 2013.

1. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    We just have BIG LOTS! in our area. It's almost like Walmart except isn't as big. They don't have clothing yet ,won't have 'cold' or 'frozen' section till the next two years although they have furniture. I went to check it out with a friend a day after their grand opening and thought the store felt a bit small. I do like that some of their stuffs are cheaper than WALMART. I managed to get a pretty nice painting for 6 dollars which is a pretty good deal considering the size is medium. I noticed some of their sets of couch go as low as 700 dollars so I took my husband to go check it out the next day. It sucks that the store feels a bit cramp ,like if you are standing looking at something ,and someone else passing by ,you kinda have to position your body to the side. I also wish they have the cold section area, It would probably a lot more convenient. I don't want to go somewhere else to buy vegetables and butter or milk and then stop in BIG LOTS just to get dry and box food such as spaghetti.

It's so close to WALMART that I'd like to see how they do in the future.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The big lots I have here is pretty good of course it doesn't compare to walmart kmart or target we have all those. But big lots is a great place to get cheap house hold items also a good place to get snacks for a good price and holiday decorations.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think Big Lots is the best place to get paper products, cleaning supplies, dog treats etc. They have some stuff that they always have and it is really cheap. They also have a rewards program. If you spend $20 in 10 different visits you get a 20% off coupon to use on your entire next order. So if you're thinking of buying the couch. Go 10 different times and buy your paper products, cleaning supplies etc. Then get your 20% off coupon and you'll save $140 on the couch! (yes, you'll spend $200 to save the $140 but make it on $200 of stuff you need).

4. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    The Big Lots that is close to me is okay. I agree with your comparison. I think it's like a smaller WALMART. They have some nicely priced things, just not nearly as large as your typical WALMART. I like it far better than K-Mart. I don't care for them at all.

5. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think Big Lots occasionally has some really unique items unlike a Kmart or Walmart where you pretty well know what you are going to find. I like treasure hunting as I call it at Big lots. Most of the ones I have been to do not do much in the customer service area. If you have a question, I find you are pretty much on your own.

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    We have two Big Lots stores in my city. One is fairly large with clothes, furniture, and food. They have more canned and boxed food items, but they do have a freezer section. There are not many items in the coolers, but it can be a quick way to pick up milk or frozen pizzas. The only problem I have with Big Lots is the store cleanliness is poor. They are in rundown neighborhoods. The stores look old and dingy. I don't like to shop there, but I will occasionally stop in for school supplies or paper products.

7. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    My boyfriend works at the Big Lots in our area and he gets a pretty good employee discount so if we need something we'll try to wait for it to go on sale and then he'll use his discount. He's gotten some pretty cool stuff by doing that.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Reading your initial reaction is so funny, because I think that is exactly how I was when I first discovered Big Lots several years ago.

I love Big Lots for the super random really great deals you find every once in a while. Otherwise, it isn't on my regular route for shopping. Be sure to join their "club" (whatever it is called, the thing with the customer loyalty cards, it's free) because then you get these like every 3 month 20% shopping passes.

We bought our last bed at Big Lots and have been super happy with it.

I also use Big Lots to re-stock my birthday present stash. I have 2 kids in elementary school, and we get an invite a month to a birthday party for a schoolmate. (Ugh.) I will frequently find books and other gender neutral gifts at Big Lots for a fraction of the original price, often as cheap as $5. I try to stock up because I know they'll get used.

9. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    We went back there today to go check out the couches since I noticed they are pretty cheap. Some of you guys are right,the toilet paper and paper towels are cheaper than Walmart so I grabbed some. I found one thing in this store that I am like 'hmm...'. They have big furniture such as couches ,even the sectional couches or L shape couches so it's pretty big but,they don't have delivery. So yeah. I asked the guy if they'd have it ,he said they're trying to find company that they'd work with but haven't found one yet.

I also notice they have a carpet cleaner that you can rent ,same as Walmart. I wonder if it would be better to rent from Walmart or to rent from them. I asked the guy there, Dude had no clue at all and just told us to get a brochure which didn't even explain the price.