Big Lots for grocery shopping

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ChanellG • Mar 18, 2014.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Big Lots has many popular brands of cereal, chips, juice, even international and health food brands for less than the supermarket shelf price. Many people post about ways to save money on food shopping, and a thread on using Amazon to order groceries made me think about stores Big Lots. If you get your produce at a farmer's market and get things like rice, pasta, cereal, and even some canned goods at Big Lots you can often save as much or more than shopping at even the big box stores.

2. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    You know, I forget about big lots for food. I buy other things at Big Lots. They have good deals on furniture, and you can put it on lay-away. I bought a wonderful sturdy couch from Big-lots. I also love their pots and pans, and pictures. In addition, I bought a beautiful Christmas tree from there. Also, their sales are great!

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also suggest checking out Dollar Tree for many of those items you are buying at Big Lots. I've seen some of the same items selling for $1.50-$2.50 at Big Lots only costing $1 at Dollar Tree. Items like pickles, jarred peppers, ketchup, mustard, pastas, etc... if it's more than $1 at Big Lots, then I would get it at Dollar Tree instead.

The other thing to watch out for is the canned goods - those can be the one rare exception where they are sometimes cheaper at the grocery stores than they are at the dollar stores. For example a can of beans might be $1 at Dollar Tree but only 69 cents at the grocery stores.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to find something at the grocery store that is cheaper than it is at the dollar store. Grocery stores have become ridiculously expensive for even the smallest of items. The trouble with some of the food items at the dollar store is that they are always from brands you know and trust. The price is cheaper, but then so is the quality.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Big Lots is great for picking up some non-perishable items. Even drinks like Gatorade and Arizona Iced Teas are really a great price and value there. I also notice that items such as noodles, canned goods are also a cheaper price than at other stores.

The one complaint I would have I guess is that they don't have a great selection of foods and they don't have perishable goods. But as it's not a grocery store, you can't really complain all too much.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only food that I purchased at Big Lots are the Uncle Bob's Red Mill products. I was surprised to find out that they sell them there. They are a least one dollar cheaper than my favorite Farmer's Market. I have noticed that my local Big Lots added a refrigerated food section.

7. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it all depends on your need and what you fine the most using thing for yourself according to your uses you go for it so yeah this is the way how it is.At the moment understanding how goodly something can be performed surely you can have a tremendous outcome from things.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, it's not a grocery store. They buy lots at closeout prices and when the items are gone they are gone. Some things they can't get again - that's the thing that gets to me. You get used to getting something there at a good price and then it disappears. If I have extra cash, I try and stock up on some things.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I was surprised to find those there as well. They are very expensive in the grocery store! I buy oils and crackers and a few other things from Big Lots, but I mostly cook from fresh ingredients so I rarely buy canned goods there.