Big Vs Small Phones

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Apr 16, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have used all types of phones and have come to the conclusion that when browsing the internet, small phones are the best. The reason is that they save on data bundles as compared to bigger phones. They download smaller images and text. I use one of these and have discovered that I can use 20MBs for several days. With big touchscreen phones, you would be lucky to have 100MBs last for several hours.

2. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    It's not really the image or downloading factor that will dictate my decision it's more about comfort and use. With the huge phones when I put them in my pocket they are always sticking out and more prone to fall out and crack. Plus I like the look of the smaller phones better. It's more of an aesthetic appeal to me and easier to grip in my hand. If you are doing media editing and video features than a bigger phone is more of a necessity; however, I use mine for practical usage. Small phones all the way for me.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to saving on data, maybe the small phones have an advantage although I cannot see the logic of it because big or small phones have the same size of digital display (big phones have relatively bigger graphics but the contents are the same with small phones). I cannot agree to using small phones since the time I had tasted the big Samsung because it is very convenient for me. I used to squint using the small phone.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Never really paid much attention to the data but maybe you're right. I always thought that you were downloading the same size since it depends on whatever is posted, but i don't know enough about this to know either way. Still, what I like about smaller phones the most is that they don't drain the battery as quickly. I like it mostly due to the size because I like that I can pocket smaller phones much easier, but having better battery life is a definite plus.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like huge phones. If it can't fit in my regular pocket comfortably, it is just too big for me. I know that a lot of people watch movies and videos on their phone, which is one reason they prefer a larger screen. I sometimes watch videos on my phone and my screen is sufficient. However, any longer viewing, I just switch to my tablet or laptop. I have found that all of my friends that have larger phones seem to break them more as well. I'm not sure if it is because the size makes them less durable or it is just that they are so large that they are awkward and you tend to drop them more.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can read the large phone screen better than the small phone. For me it is how well I can see the screen and the print on it. The smaller phone may also require me to scroll more to get the print to a size that is comfortable for me to read on screen. It may use more data, which is something I really do not pay much attention to. My phone also act a tool for my job, the larger screen helps to see all of the information needed during the presentation.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Big phones are quite ok to use when browsing, but you just have to turn off the images so that you can save on data. That's what I always do, and I always use the PC to browse graphics heavy websites. If you use Opera Mini then you can reduce the amount of graphics that will be shown on your phone.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I can see the pluses and minuses of both types of phone. I have an Iphone 6, and I guess it would be considered medium sized by today's standards. In the history of the cell phones, it's pretty large though. Especially compared to the little flip phones we all used to use in the early and mid 2000's. The Iphone 6 plus's look like they would have advantages, as they're a little bigger. At least if you watch a lot of video on your phone. Such as streaming Netflix. I can see the advantages and disadvantages of the different size phones though. It all just depends on your preferences.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer big phones. When I had the iPhone 5, it was right after I had the galaxy S3 and I could not get used to it. It felt tiny, and I couldn't read what was on it.Thankfully Apple decided to come out with iPhone 6 which is much larger. I currently own an iPhone 6, but I would prefer the iPhone 6 Plus, as it is bigger. My fiancé has a Plus and I prefer his so much more. It's like a mini tablet, which is much more convenient for day to day use.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone 5, which I mostly just use for making regular phone calls; but occasionally I do use it to read with if I am waiting somewhere. I would much prefer to have a larger phone for reading with, and since it goes into my purse, and not in my pocket, the larger size would not be a problem.
    I do have a Kindle Fire that i only use for reading books with, and when I know that I am going somewhere hat I may have to sit and wait, then I take the kindle along with a good book downloaded on it.
    However, sometimes, we end up having to wait omeewhere unexpected, and then I can use the cell phone to read.
    I can't really see anything well enough to use the phone for surfing the internet; so I don't use it for that in any case, and the data usage of the larger size would not be an issue for me.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't thought about the data use when it comes to small vs large phones, but I find that both sizes are useful and have their benefits. I have a small phone right now and I love it. It's cute and sleek so it fits in my pockets with ease. I can be discreet with it if I need to and it's not very flashy so if I'm travelling I don't have to worry as much about having someone steal it. However, I used a Samsung Galaxy for a few months and I also loved it, in fact, I might get a new one this year. I liked taking pictures on that phone: the image was clear and big enough for everyone to see, even my grandparents with their failing eyesight. Also watching videos and reading ebooks on it was awesome because of the larger screen. Furthermore it came with the little stylus thing which was great fun to use. Ah but when it came to actually using it as a phone, it was a bit too cumbersome as I held it up to my ear. Plus it didn't fit in the back pocket of my jeans so I always had to carry a purse and I don't really like purses. My only other complaint about the large phone is that while I was in Mexico a lot of people would comment on it and I was sometimes scared to use it in public because I didn't want anyone to yank it from my hand and run off with it.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't currently have a cell phone, but am considering getting one again in the future, and I wasn't aware there was a difference in data usage based on the phone size. If I know I'm going to be somewhere a long time, I will sometimes bring my tablet with me, so I can read or play games, but when I do get another phone, I will most likely get either a small or medium sized one. I often leave the tablet at home because even though it's a somewhat small tablet, at just 7", it's not something I want to carry with me at all times, and I'm sure I'd feel the same with a phone that I carried all of the time.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently on the Nokia Asha, and it's by far the smallest phone I've ever had. When I first saw it, I fell in love with it straight away, thinking it looked cute, and with it being a smart phone (of sorts!), I thought I was onto a winner. BUT I don't like it all that much anymore. I have small hands and fingers, and even I struggle with texting on that 'toy phone'. The next phone I get will be a decent, bigger phone that's for sure.

14. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Given the fact that Data is getting Cheaper and faster I don't mind using a bigger phone for a better overall experience. Using a bigger phone like my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has saved me the trouble of carrying something as bulky as a Laptop or a Tablet. Considering what these devices are Capable of doing, I would rather carry a Big phone than a Big Laptop. But if you don't find it productive, why buy bigger phones if smaller phones can do the job you need. I agree that Small Phones are more Practical and easy to carry around, it is completely worth it if you find it useful. Good Luck.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I really not much into smartphones, I prefer tablets for other uses than phone calls and instant messages. I like when the tablet's size fit my hands size. Phone in the other hand, doesn't provide such comfort. I still have a smartphone for whatsapp, but I almost never use it for browsing or another related activities..

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a medium sized phone would be good. My phone, ZTE Valet the buttons are small and it is hard to use the keyboard and text. Also, the screen is small. There is not much storage space on the phone either. I keep my eyes open for other phones...as long as I could get an inexpensive data plan..that is all I care about. One thing that Tracfone offers is a bring your own device plan. So, if I can find a cheap Samsung Galaxy or something like that, I could probably use the same pay as you go method.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your need. There are people who only want to use the basic phone functions such as call and text. These features are enough to help them get things done. However, there are those who prefer bigger phones with bigger storage so that they can take advantage of features like planner, memo, online games, advanced camera and Internet browsing for both personal and work reasons. I prefer big phones, though. I like to play games and sometimes, I just want to surf the net while lying down and relaxing - something I can't do when I use a laptop or PC.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Right now, I have an iPhone 5s which can be considered small to medium in today's standards. For me, comparing it to other recent phones in the market, it's at the smaller spectrum. But you know what? I love it still, it's the perfect size for me and it's very convenient to bring. I can have a small bag and won't need to worry about my son's things plus my phone fitting in. I think this size is just enough for me, I can browse things on the internet without having a super huge phone with me.

I don't really use data services so I cannot vouch for the savings on that one. I usually just connect to wifi wherever we're going, usually it's a mall or a restaurant anyway. And besides, I don't usually need data or internet when we're out. I just browse and surf the internet when we're at home, so it's good enough for me. If I need to do more, I'd use my laptop or my table, they're bigger and perfect for typing and other activities I might not be able to do on my phone.

19. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I love big phones but then, I am also really blind. I have trouble readig anything small ish and I always forget my glasses at home. Small phones just haven't worked for me so far.

20. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Big phones are better for me because I use it for everything. I'm on it now! I'm on it constantly browsing the web, checking social media and well... Posting in forums. I have unlimited data and use my home wifi mostly so it's not an issue for me.