Birthday gifts to kids

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Jul 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying a gift for a kid, do you ask the kid what he wants or do you usually ask his parents what he needs? What's the habit in doing this where you live? I mean, if a kid is 4 or above I guess it makes some sense to ask the kid, but will the parents be upset if we ask the kid instead of them?

2. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Well, personally, I ask the kids what they want but I make sure that I don't give them exactly what they want. I mean, I always want my gifts for kids to be educational too, in a way. Let's say they ask for a toy gun for their birthday. I give them a console with a gun for a controller. Then, I buy educational games for the console like a game that involves math, science, art, etc. They won't notice the 'nerdiness' of the gift because they're actually having fun.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, if it's a colleague from school I ask my kid what his friend likes, but I always go to the educational side. Once a friend of my kid offered him some big gun and I just put it away because I don't allow my kids to play with guns, it's nonsense to me. So a educational toy never misses because we are always learning with those things, they are really well made.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never ask kids or parents what to get them for a gift. By the way I buy gifts for two of my nieces [never anyone else] so whenever I do, I get them a nice dresses or some nice-looking shoes. Occasionally they ask for something specific so on such occasions I have no option but to get them exactly what they want.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    If I know the kid, I'll usually know what kinds of things they like anyway. Though, occasionally I'll ask the parent because they'll have heard their kid say, "I want that, I want this, I want that," a million and one times. But asking what the kid wants I don't think is bad. I think it is better, unless they are really in need of something. But even then, no matter the kid, clothes are usually a let down to presents.

6. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I don't really know. I don't have that problem because the only kids I really know are my own. For their birthdays I like getting them presents they WANT. The things they need I would be buying anyways, but the things they WANT I will not. They don't get everything they want, so on their birthdays I let them tell me which things they still really, really want, and I get them for them (within reason). My mom likes buying school supplies and that kind of thing for them and I keep telling her, that is not a gift. A gift is something that you don't really need and it is especially not school supplies like paper. For goodness sake. She is just practical but birthdays are not for being practical. Birthdays are to splurge on things you wouldn't normally get throughout the year. That is my take on it anyway. :)

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, the only kids you only know is your own Gadzooks, are you serious? Don't they have any friends and don't they attend their parties?

Sometimes I can give my kids what they want, if it's not to expensive and if it's not guns, I love to treat them, but I don't want them to think they can decide, I want them to grow up valuing things.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just ask the kid first then ask permission from the parents if they would allow the item to be gifted to their kids. I much prefer getting the information straight from the one who is going to use it, but at the same time, I'd also like to respect the parents' decision on whether or not they are comfortable with letting their kids be exposed to certain toys or items. If I'm just starting to snoop around, then I'd maybe ask the parents first on which topics or themes the kids are interested in at a certain point, but if I wanted a more straight answer then I'd go directly to the kids.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good procedure really Ripley, but at the same time what would you do if you don't know the parents like it happens with most the friends of my kid? I just have to rely on what it says, on what's available, the time I have to look and of course, the price, no way I am going over 10€ for a gift for a kid unless it's family, I really can't afford that.

10. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Peninha, I definitely think that's it's more important to ask the parents what their kid needs, especially when the children are younger, but even when they're older, I tend to prefer the option of getting the major input and opinion of the parents, for more than one reason.
    Firstly, I think it's just the respectful thing to do, and this doesn't mean that I think the kids' opinions don't count. That's actually the opposite of what I think! I believe, 100%, that children need to be seen AND heard, but a respectful boundary needs to be put in place by me, the giftgiver, between getting their feedback on what they'd like, and then realizing who should have the major opinion that's basically the last word in the discussion of what I'm gonna get for them.
    It's important to actually put the question to the children, regardless of their age, as to what they'd like; it's what makes them feel that their opinion counts, and that there are people out there who believe that they deserve good things. On the other hand though, I do believe that after you get this opinion, you ought to run it by the parents and see if they approve.
    One should always bear in mind, when getting gifts for children--even teenagers--that they are still under their parents' roof and also, that WE are not the ones who have the responsibility and "burden" of raising them for the majority of their lives! If we "cross the line" by giving a kid what they ask for, even when their parents have disapproved, then we are opening the door for them to disrespect their parents.
    Why, because we've even hinted at the fact that it's possible to get what we want even when we know our parents don't approve, and that can lead to a whole long list of things that we don't want to happen to our kids.

Ask both, but make sure that you ask the parents, even if you ask them last.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am surprised with the number of people who said that they would ask the parents. I mean, this is normal procedure among close friends or family, but also with the school colleagues that sometimes you don't even know the parents? Also, for 10€ (the max I go) I hardly have many decent choices.

12. lauralaneOn

lauralaneOnNew Member

Threads:
    Hie..
    It is best to ask your kid what kind of present he wants?
    Basically, birthday gift ideas for kids include playthings, like toys and dolls, stuffed animals, storybooks with the birthday child as the main character, fun beach gear, electric cars etc. Personalize any of the gifts for kids to make them more special. :D

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually buy gifts as a surprise for the kids. Asking them is like letting them know what they would be receiving, that's taking away the element of surprise. But it is a good idea to know that the birthday child wants. In that aspect, we do some investigating like engaging the child to a casual conversation to gauge his wants and desires. But nowadays, it is easy. Most children want gadgets like tablets or cellphones.

14. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    If the kid is just around the age of 4 to 6 years old, I ask the parents what gift to give since they will know better and at this age, their child is still very young to comprehend what he or she likes. Maybe around the school age of 7 to 12 years old, that we should ask the kids themselves what they want since they are now exposed to public, with school, friends and different activities, they can comprehend what they like and want. Commonly they would ask for toys but for the more mature 11 to 12 year old's, some may ask for clothes or books, and I gift them what they asked because they personally said it.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids are teenagers now so I ask what they want so that I am not wasting my time or money. Too many times I have purchased something to see put aside and never picked up again until it was either thrown out or given to charity.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that asking the recipient is the way to go when it comes to gift giving, because they will be the one receiving the gift and not the parents, regardless of their age. You certainly would not want a gift that's not gonna be used and will be left in the cabinet or drawer gathering dust, right? Or just give cash instead. Everyone and people of all ages appreciate that kind of gift.

17. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS ask the parents. They know better what the kid needs and wants better than the kid could tell you. It's just better and easier that way. It's pretty easy to shop for younger kids, but no matter what age they are, I'd always ask the parents.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like to get thoughtful gifts for my nephew, nieces and godson. They range in age from 12- 16 so most of the gifts I get them now are gift cards, cash, sports equipment and always a books. For my nieces I bought them Me to We bracelets and notebooks, I thought it would encourage them to think more globally about gifts. They are 14 and 16 now. When the kids were younger I always asked the parents what they thought their son or daughter would like but I would come up with some of my own ideas and run it past them. It just shows that you care and know their child too.

19. Mango

MangoNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I will buy silently. Kids always like big surprise. It would be better to pay attention to their bobby instead of asking them.