Birthday Parties

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by jdwriter • Aug 11, 2014.

1. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I guess how far you might take this does depend on how many kids you have; I have three little boys, so, we don't necessarily go all out for birthdays - mostly because we might go broke if we did. For the most part, we don't have friends invited to the kids birthdays until they are in grade school (k-4).

Once they've hit that mark we usually have rented a park, gotten pizza and had games etc., the normal stuff, and added a pinta. Usually this costs about $300.

What do you do for your kids birthdays? Does this seem extreme, or is it right in line?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We usually do it privately as well. Only relatives and close neighbors are invited. We just make sure there is plenty of food and goody bags for kids. We hired an Ironman cosplayer once which only cost us $30 for an hour. Overall expense just under $200.

3. giftblooms

giftbloomsNew Member

Threads:
    Hi,
    Birthday party for kids... it's very difficult. You have 3 kids means 3 parties in a year.
    In kids party only invite their school friends, decorate a room with colorful balloons.
    Prepare good foods for kids and also arrange musical dance party for kids.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no reason why birthday parties should be very expensive.

Most kids don't care how lavish the party just as long as they get to have some fun with their friends on their birthdays, get a few gifts etc. So it's always much better to have a private party at home and invite their friends and maybe parents of the friends to attend [I'm making the assumption that kids friends will be the neighbors kids]. It shouldn't go beyond $200 bucks.

5. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    We haven't done any expensive parties. Partially because my kids are young (2 1/2 and 4 1/2), partially because we can't really afford it, and primarily because while I want to celebrate their birthdays I also do not want them to be too spoiled. We have parties in our home, providing snacks, cake, and drinks along with some activities (coloring, painting, specific toys laid out, etc) for the kids. I don't think we have spent anywhere near $200. We also do not make goody bags to send home. I often feel that birthday parties have become more about your status as parents and how "good" a mom you are for putting together the most coordinated, elaborate, and unrealistic party possible as well as the quality of goody bag. I would like kids to come to a birthday party to have a good time, not to get more stuff. I'm becoming tempted to say no presents as well, since I think most kids have too much stuff and mine are no exception. What I remember most from my birthday parties at home and those of my friends growing up are either a) having a really good time with my friends or b) being disappointed because other kids won more candy or got more out of the pinata. I'd like to support my kids remembering the fun with friends and not the stuff.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We usually just do the parties at home if were trying to save up so as to save on the rent fees and if we could afford it then we'd just funnel those savings back into party favors or food. Sometimes we pay for fast food party packages spit will all be taken care of and we don't end up having to clean up the mess afterwards, and in my opinion those are pretty okay since they aren't too costly and kids usually love fast food and all the activities that go along with it.