Birthday Parties

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Apr 14, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Share tips and tricks for saving money when planning birthday parties for kids. This is an event that can become very expensive, very quickly. I've seen so many parents that try to out do every other parent, and then have to out do themselves each year by coming up with something bigger and better than the last time.

I don't like the message this sends. I'm also not comfortable spending tons of money on stuff that's going to end up in the trash (all those decorations). Besides, I like to try to reuse stuff instead of wasting it.

There are some really cute ways to decorate without spending a fortune and without creating so much waste. Do you have ideas to share?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Try to incorporate the "goodie bag" into your decorations. I don't like to do the traditional goodie bags full of cheap toys and candy. I think they're a waste of money for the host and headache for the parents of the guests. Instead, I usually try to get one thing that goes along with the theme of the party, has a bit of a "cool" factor, but can still be somewhat useful. One year for my daughter's birthday, a bunch of her friends came over for pedicures (they are all gymnasts so we were treating their feet after competition season). We did the pedicures at my house, and they all received a pair of flip flops to wear home. I got the flip flops at Hobby Lobby for maybe $2/pair and turned them into garland that I strung across the fireplace before the party. After everyone was left, the decorations were all cleaned up too because everyone wore a pair home!

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a great idea for a fun party, @ReadWriteLearnLove@ReadWriteLearnLove. I bet they loved it. Thanks for sharing.

I did something similar during the holidays this year by using the Christmas gifts as part of my decoations, lol. When everyone leaves, half the stuff is cleaned up. It was great.

I will continue this onto birthday parties, due to your suggestion. Very nice.