Black and White Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • May 10, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do you like watching black and white movies, or do you find them boring and/or depressing? I am mixed when it comes to this. Some I find very interesting, but some fall short without the color to support it. The ones I like are the Twilight Zone series and as for movies I liked 12 Angry Men and Sin City. Do you like to watch black and white movies? If so, which ones do you like the most and which ones don't you like?

2. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    There is a certain nastalgia and almost reverence for the black and white movies. They are like the elders or grandparents in the family. They have a history and memories. Without these predacessors we would not have all of the televison shows or cinematic wonders of this day and age. Some people may see black and white as rudametory or old. I think of it as true classic. I remember when Ted Turner decided he was going to colorize the black and white classic films. I think it raised such a commotion because people did not want to see something so grand made trashy. I personally love the black and white Twilight Zone shows. To colorie them would take so much away from it. It seems like it would cheapen it, or lessen it somehow.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sin City is the only black and white movie that I enjoyed. Aside from that, I already prefer movies to be in full color. I never really appreciated black and white movies. They're just too old for my taste.

4. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I love older movies, especially black and white. There's something about the lack of color that makes me more engaged with the movie. It's kind of like the difference between a novel and a movie.

I also enjoy the difference in culture. Most men wore a suit of some kind, all of the time. I'm thinking about trying that out for a month to see what it's like. I'll have to get very light and casual suits, though. Most suits, today, are too business-like or too "stylish" as if you're going to a club. I might have to look around in thrift shops or catch some online auctions of old clothes.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Some of my favourite shows were recorded in black and white before going to colour. Carry On films, Steptoe & Son, On the Buses, all Norman Wisdom films. I think that if the show is good or funny then it doesn't matter in the slightest to man of us if it is in black and white or colour. :)

6. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I am a fan of Twilight Zone too. And I remember when my t.v. was black and white. Of course now a good percentage of the older classic movies have been colorized. Yes I will watch black and white. But I am a bit short of saying I prefer it. One great one in black and white was the classic detective film The Maltese Falcon. And another classic was The Hustler with Paul Newman.
    Both of these I saw in black and white and they are great films and
    major motion picture classics.
    Ryder13

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    There are some black and white movies that I adore and consider them classics such as the wizard of of and many Alfred Hitchcock films. In my opinion I think that these classics shouldn't be forgetting about because it is our history made on film and future generations should be able to appreciate it and see it.

8. maurovis

maurovisNew Member

Threads:
    I totally agree, Sin City was a great movie and having it in black and white did add something to the movie. Some movies still implement flash back scenes where they turn to black and white. But I have to say that I can't seem to be able to sit through an entire movie done in black and white.