Black Friday

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by chiofthenorns • Sep 6, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Are Black Fridays really worth looking forward to? I only get to experience them when I shop online on that day. Are the prices really so low in stores? What are the best deals you got during these sales?

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Black Friday sales are awesome. There are items in every store that are unbelievably cheap on that day. I shop online now because it does get a little out of control at stores on that day. People are phasing other and trying to race to certain items.

3. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    It really depends on what you are looking for if the Black Friday sales are worth it. It also helps if you are a morning person as they start very early in the morning, and if you want the deals you have to go then. In the past we have purchased our video camera, DVD players, and a game system at Black Friday prices saving hundreds. We have also gotten gifts for others that are highly discounted - such as crock pots, blenders, etc. (often for my aunt who can't afford to upgrade these things herself). If you're thinking of heading out into the craziness, having a plan of what you want, where it is, when the store opens, and how badly you are willing to rush to get it will help you.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you get great deals on Black Friday but I don't go. I am not the one to get up super early just to be in a crowded store with other people seeking multiple items all at once. My mom LOVES Black Friday and it has been her tradition go shopping on this day for the past 15 years. I can't do it because I'm not the type of person to wait in long lines. Besides, I get practically the same deals when eBay send me advertisements via email of coupons and special offers available for me to purchase online. If it's not eBay, I am getting advertisements from Overstock or JC Penney. So, I consider these sites to be my everyday Black Friday.

5. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I used to think so but over the last few years with so many amazing online sales I don't think it's really worth it. It's such a hassle dealing with 100's of crazy people and getting up at the crack of dawn ( or much earlier!) just to save a few bucks. If we do shop black Friday it's for one or two specific items but that's about it. I know people that go out and wait it horrible lines all day long.

You can save money but I weight the pros and cons of it all and for me and my family I would rather save my sanity then save a few bucks. :)

Online shopping is the way to go plus around the holidays everyone has free shipping !!

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Black Friday store shopping has totally turned fun into crime. People act so immature and childish when it comes to saving money. They literally knock people over just so they can save that dollar. Is it worth it? I think not. I have worked every Black Friday in the last 5 years. If I didn't, I'd stay home. My life along with my kids and husbands life isn't worth the craze. I just assume to shop online or take advantage of layaway before then.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Black Friday is the most wonderful day of the year! And it now includes Thanksgiving Day! Some stores such as Wal Mart are now guaranteeing availability on certain items. I will say I usually get out and am back in by 8 am so I miss most of the terrible crowds. I have gotten THE BEST TV deals on Black Friday. Shopping sites have all the Black Friday ads up starting very early so you can compare deals and your shopping strategy. My second favorite shopping day of the year is the day after Christmas. Again, get out early to come back in early.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cyber Monday is the new Black Friday (at least for me). Those crowds can get mean, and I'm not quite as young as I used to be. I will say I have received some great deals in the past. I advise bringing a friend, or more than one, so you can organize and conquer.

9. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Definitely depends on what you want to buy. My husband and I have gone out a few times, primarily for electronic items. It is best to look through the ads, determine if the money is worth the early mornings, and make a plan of where to go. Also best to go to stores you are familiar with the layout, so you don't waste time searching for the right area, only to have the item be gone. Target will sometimes give rain check slips for Black Friday items if they are all out, but not always.

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the type of person you are. Some people find huge joy in participating in Black Friday, sale or not, because of the rush of people and the atmosphere in general. I have heard that some Black Friday sales are indeed a huge drop in prices, but apparently some of them aren't because they just raise the prices a few weeks before and lower them on Black Friday to MAKE it seem like they dropped a lot when in actuality they probably only dropped a little bit.

I'd prefer to buy stuff online though on Cyber Monday. I hate dealing with crowds :/

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Black Friday is so much fun, but at the end of the day it's never saved me a dime. I always end up buying things that I "want" rather than things that I "need". The only exception to this is when I buy Christmas presents for people, but I'm not being honest if I say that's the goal of any of my BF shopping. It's always luxuries I look at and then go "at that price, I must have it".

12. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    It really just depends. I only brave black friday crowds if there is something I really want with a significant price cut. In that event, I go, get in, and leave without buying anything else.

Now with 'cyber monday' deals you can stay at home and find great deals online. Many big name retailers participate as well. It makes the process much easier.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't thin Black Friday sales are all that great, but at the same time I am usually not looking for the items, electronics etc. that are advertised for Black Friday specials. I like Black Friday because to me it signifies the start of the holiday shopping season, but I have never woken up early to go get in line for a TV or laptop.