BlueHost - Internet Hosting

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Dr23 • Jul 29, 2012.

1. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    A couple years ago I set up a blog that I wanted to be capable of standing on its own two feet. I hated the idea of having a generic WP name in the URL, or something to that effect, so I purchased a domain and planned to host it myself. However, this seemed like a poor idea in case the site grew - which it did.

I checked out several options but ultimately went with Blue Host. Frankly, they're not the best nor are they the worst.

Pros:
    The price. It's one of the most affordable options out there for what they offer. I wasn't looking to break the bank so seeing that they had a relatively low price compared to other hosting sites was a relief.

Stability. For the most part, my site is up and running quite smoothly. For the most part it's pretty reliable. There are times where it is down but 99% of the time the site is up. The 1% it is down is either due to scheduled maintenance or an error, like a server on their end breaking and having to migrate the info.

Cons:
    Communication. The communication with Blue Host is poor. When they do have scheduled maintenance I never hear about it. No emails of any sort. I check my site and see it is down and then I have to go back to the Blue Host panel and hunt around to see if there is an error of some sort. Same goes for when their server broke. No note or notification until I had to harass them about my site being down for over 24 hours.

Simplicity. Blue Host doesn't make things very simple. If you're computer literate you may not have an issue but if you're new to the game you'll probably be pretty overwhelmed.

Summary
    As you can see, pros and cons. It's cheap but it comes with its faults. It seems like it's pretty unknown out there but consider it if you're contemplating hosting a site.

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Very fair review. I have just had a look at the Blue Host site. Looks professional except for the part about unlimited resources. I am actually surprised that there are still people offering such unrealistic plans. There is no such thing as unlimited. Period.

The price doesn't look like it's going to break anyone's piggy bank but then again it's impossible to compare its value because of the unlimited factor. Myself, I wouldn't use any service which offers unlimited resources because I get the impression that such services will attract a lot of users who would expect to use the resources to the fullest. Since the resources are actually limited, the net result is that the whole system becomes overloaded. Overloaded systems have a strong tendency to shut down unexpectedly. Not the kind of place where I would put a production site. And since it's not free, not the kind of place where I would put an experimental site either.

Of course, that's just my personal biased viewpoint. As usual.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a host that would be good, if you are just getting started and want to grow slowly. But if you have plans to spread your wings, you probably need to look elsewhere, for a host that can handle the volume. Very good review, you present all the vital things that one would need to know. Thanks very much.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Great review for people looking for a host. I have heard the name but haven't heard anything about them before now. I have been on the lookout for a hosting company, but I don't want to overload the server so I may go with another. Thank you for the information so I have more of a heads up about them!