Body Wash or Soap

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pocs • Aug 2, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Taking care of your skin has always been top priority to keep it healthy. Moisturizing, washing with soap and water and using sunblock are some of the best things you can do to ensure you keep it healthy. Bar soap was all we used to have for overall cleaning of our skin for many many years. Body wash was introduced to the consumer more than several years ago and gained popularity quickly. Have you washed into the body wash generation or do you lather with the bar? Which do you prefer and why?

In my opinion body wash is far more superior to bar soaps for several reasons. Although it may have more waste, you do have a empty bottle left over vs a paper wrapper, the other benefits out weigh the waste. Bar soap can harbor germs, even antibacterial bars can promote the growth of some bacteria. Bars collect, I'll call them residuals, hair, dust, whiskers and anything on your skin prior to washing. Then there is the mess, soap scum and grime left behind from bars. Varieties are far more plentiful with body wash, which really appeals to me since may skin type varies with the weather. Having 3 or 4 different types of bars, just wouldn't be practical, they either dry up and crack or melt away. With body wash you simply close the lid.

2. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I use body wash or gel, but I have to tell you I absolutely love dove cream soap bars. They smell so nice. The reason I buy the body wash is for the fragrance. I also find it quicker rather than using the bar of soap. It is inconvenient when the bar of soap drops when you are in the shower. I also was raised with a bar of soap and a wash cloth. No spoofy pretty body scrub accessories like today. I may go searching for that bar of dove. :)

3. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I used to use body wash but didn't find them very cost effective. I find that bars are cheaper and last twice as long. I don't have dirty soap and have never got an infection usuing it. I do find that the friction needed to soap up kills any bacteria that might be there.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the body wash. I also love Dove soaps, but they don't seem to last very long. I tried to save a bit of money and buy the Dollar Tree body wash. I'm not happy with them. Target's generic label copies are better than the Dollar Tree products.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    There should be no reason for you to have any left over hairs or anything on your bar of soap. You are allowed to rinse those things off before stepping out of the shower. You can also rinse them off prior to putting a rudely left hairy bar of soap on your body.

As for my preference, I prefer body wash, but only a specific kind as it will help with any body acne, but is still safe enough to use on your entire body. The bar soaps that work for body acne can only be used in certain areas. I don't have time for all that switching in a shower and I take long showers. Outside of that body wash, I'm fine with my bar of Ivory.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like body wash and gel for the different aromas and richness of the latter. I find Wal-Mart brand is rich and thick, it is compared to Dove but a little less expensive. I have tried the dollar store brand of body wash, it is drying to my skin.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I prefer body wash. It's easier to use, and there is a lot more choice. Some body washes are also moisturising, so you don't need to use body lotion as well. This saves both time and money. I tend to use Sanex mostly, as I have Lupus, and sometimes have problems with my skin. I find Sanex keeps it clean and moisturised, and I don't have any sort of reaction to it. I also like Avon's Skin So Soft for aging skin, and I use that when I'm going anywhere special. The fragrance is great, and it leaves my skin feeling really soft.

8. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer body wash mainly because soap is just too messy to maintain. After a few uses, it leaves off grime, which is as you said unsanitary because different residuals stick on it.And I, like you, appeal to the diferent scents and kinds of body wash these days. I don't if it's just me, but soap sems like to dry up my skin more than body wash.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I can honestly say I use both. For the places that produce the most odor and sweat, I use bar soap and a washcloth thoroughly, especially behind the ears, neck, front and rear and arm pits and feet. I also use body wash for my whole body and do find it more moisturizing than bar soap. It just important to me use the bar soap as an additional measure to be squeaky clean.

10. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I love the aroma of some brands of soap, but I prefer to stick to body wash/gel in a snap-close bottle. Bottles are less messy, easier to carry around to the gym or holiday (and bring back too). The ones that have a hook-shaped neck can be hung upside down to be easily dispensed.

11. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Whether it's for body washing or hand washing, I use a bar soap. Some people find it weird but I just much prefer washing my hands with a bar, I'm a little old school like that lol. I never got caught up into the soap drama too much though, I use a basic aloe bar and that's about it. I've tried a bunch of different body washes and things like that but I usually like simple and basic fragrances/soaps.

12. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I like the bar soaps because I buy from a local farmer. They produce some of the best goats milk soap I have ever used. Then if I want to I can take and make them into the liquid body wash you are talking about. However, I know this can take some time to adjust and get it done properly, but it is much better and less expensive to do the soaps this way!

13. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago we could only have bar soap for bathing. A product for the bathroom can seem very smelly, have a very nice texture and depending on the product, you may provide, or otherwise, a good degree of wetting or maintaining the skin's natural moisture. Many people prefer to use a shower gel, applying a sponge network. They use only a little and does not lather. I prefer bar soap. It is more practical for men. I think it's only a matter of personal preference. :)

14. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I mostly use body wash now. But if you want to be more economic with something that'll last longer and is less expensive, go with normal soap.

15. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I swear by body wash because I don't like the way my skin feels after bar soap; but I do only wash my face with bar soap because I love Dove on my face. I don't like using a bar after anyone either and now luckily I live alone but growing up it just creeped me out to no end. Now my girlfriend swears by bar soap and was thrilled when she found a poof that you put the bar in so it stays without the hairs and what not. And of course she only uses Irish Spring.

16. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer body wash. For me, it lasts longer. I really prefer body wash as well because it seems cheaper. Body soap gets dry, and doesn't smell as good as body washes do.

17. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Real soap is the superior form of true cleansing but what they sell as 'soap bars' is really just detergent. Real soap is supposed to be plant oils, a dash of lye and some aromatherapy (for authentic scent if needed). But what the stores sell is really just detergent. As for body washes: I hate them. Have you ever read their ingredient list? Most have so many chemicals just to get that texture, then to strip it of color, add synthetic aroma etc...just horrible.

I used to love them though, but I often got headaches...places like Body Shop sells lovely organic ones though and I am sure many other places.

18. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I always find that soap bars often leave my skin feeling very dry afterwards, more so than using body wash. I sometimes use soap in the shower if I'm out of body wash, but I never use soap in the bath because of the scum line you get from them (It's not from me it's the soap, honest. LOL!!) And when someone else has used the soap and leaves it on the side, the top of the soap bar can end up with a slimey film on the top of it, which I don't like.

19. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I always find that soap bars often leave my skin feeling very dry afterwards, more so than using body wash. I sometimes use soap in the shower if I'm out of body wash, but I never use soap in the bath because of the scum line you get from them (It's not from me it's the soap, honest. :D) And when someone else has used the soap and leaves it on the side, the top of the soap bar can end up with a slimey film on the top of it, which I don't like. So, it's body wash (shower gel, etc.) for me every time.:)

20. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Body wash, soap just slips around and makes my skin feel weird, so yea, Old spice....this comment is now diamonds.

[video=youtube;owGykVbfgUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE[/video]