Book suggestions??

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by katharinemae • Jun 26, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy, and now i'm stuck here at home doing nothing because my baby spends most its time sleeping. I want to take advantage of the situation and try to do some reading. I'm quite behind on trending good reads. Do you have any suggestions on what books to read?

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    You've asked the wrong question because now I'm going to give you an endless list!

Here is my list of good books to read for the summer months:

"The House of the Dead" - Fyodor Dostoevsky

"The Black Sheep" - Honore de Balzac

"The Turn of the Screw" - Henry James

"Candide" - Francois Voltaire

"Death in Venice" - Thomas Mann

Plays by Arthur Miller, Joe Orton and August Strindberg.

Shall I go on? Please let me know!

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    These are just a few of my favorite reads :

"Blue Like Jazz" - Donald Miler

"Turn of the Screw" - Henry James

"The Disappearance" - J F Freedman

"Last Days of Summer" - Steve Kluger

4. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well what sort of books are you interested in? Fiction, non-fiction, self-help ones, crime and thrillers? I personally prefer crime and thrillers so if that's what you're looking for, David Baldacci has really good ones. You'll probably get his books at all major bookstores since he's one of the bestsellers out there. Lee Child, Jeffrey Deaver and Mark Gimenez is also good if you're into this genre. If you're into self-help, you could try Quiet by Sarah Cain which is a really insightful book released rather recently. Look up BookDepository.com if you're lost as to what to read. They list all their bestsellers there and they provide free shipping worldwide if you want to purchase your books. Free e-books from classic authors are also available for download!

5. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I just got finished reading Dawn (a sci-fi) by Octavia Butler. It was really good. I found it on Amazon. Another good book is Don't Ask And I Won't Have To Lie by Beverly Mahone. The latter book talks about lies people tell to get out of unfortunate situations. This book is also on Amazon.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! These are really good books and I have searched reviews on these and found good reviews. I think I also have to fing a copy of at least one of these. Thanks! Please go on! I also want to know more. :)

7. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Now I'm having a bigger problem! Lol! Can't decide on what book to read after all your suggestions. Every single book you've suggested is really good and interesting. The reviews are also amazing which makes it harder to choose. My summer reading is officially fully BOOKED. Thanks guys! Happy reading! :)

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Oh wow, I have not had the time to do any fun fiction reading in the longest time...but reading the lists here practically got me drooling. I am giving myself some time off in a month or two and now I have a list of books to get. This is so super exciting. Thank you, very kind...wish I could add to the list but I have not read good fiction in years...so I am starved. Lol.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    The best book I've read so far is "the stand" written by stephen king. It's a post apocaliptic fantasy/horror type book. I couldn't put the book down once I started, even though the beginning is a little slow to get going, but after that you'll be transfixed for sure.

10. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Enjoy the readings !! ... Just few notes about that reading:
    * I am sure you will enjoy fiction and that will relax you a bit after hours taking care of your baby boy (they do not sleep all the time forever, guaranteed ... !)
    * But you could spice it up with some non fictional, something where you learn and maybe consider the new steps
    --> I would recommend you consider the work of Glenn Doman and his method for educating young ones
    We used some of his methods for our 3 children and they loved it ! ... Enjoy !

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    These are some great recommendations! I also second "Candide" by Voltaire. If you're looking for something fun and highly addicting for this summer then I recommend the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (the True Blood books).

12. hellotina

hellotinaNew Member

Threads:
    I am currently reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I'm really enjoying it but I can say it's a little unusual. Draws you in though. At least that's what it did for me. :)

13. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    These are definitely good suggestions. I've read most of them are they were well-written and thoroughly engaging. I'll have to check out the plays by Joe Orton. That seems to be where my knowledge is lacking.

14. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    "Miss New India" by Bharati Mukherjee
    "Shanghai Girls" and "Dreams of Joy" by Lisa See
    "Six Suspects" by Vikas Swarup (he wrote "Slumdog Millionaire)

I enjoyed all of the above and thought they were well-written with very good characterizations. They were very engrossing reads.