Booking holidays early

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Apr 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most of us are aware that if we book things early we get better prices, so nothing like making those reservations in advance to save some serious money. Is this something you do or do you have a hard time organizing your life in advance and knowing when you can take days off?

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS book my vacations early, it seems like such a waste of money to me if you don't. I understand if you make last second plans and don't have a choice but to book last second, but if you know you will be going on vacation then you might as well book it early to save a lot of money!

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to spend my holidays in a summer spot that made me up to 30% discount if I booked 3 months ahead (and paid 50% signal of course), but 30% is a huge value so it was definitely worth it. I'm always with an eye for promotions of course...

4. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I'm also a big believer in booking holidays early, however there are some websites that specialize in last minute deals that are absolutely amazing. The best deals on vacations I've ever gotten have been "last minute" buys. I had a 7-day trip to Morocco, hotel and flight included for 176 euros (from Germany, through a German website). I'm from the US originally and I've never specifically tried to find one, but I'm sure these last minute sites exist in the US too. If you're planning a big trip, definitely purchase early and try to organize it around times that aren't travel heavy (for example, planning a trip in September is way cheaper than August). However, if you're only looking two weeks ahead for something spontaneous, there are some great deals to be had!

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is true megshoe there are both sides of it. We can book early for big discounts or book very late for great discounts too, but sometimes if we book late we might end up getting not exactly what we want, but what's available. Especially for those with kids this last option is sometimes not very convenient.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are right, Peninha. Booking early usually gives you a much better deal than last minute bookings. I am just noticing now, as Easter is approaching and the kids are already on school holidays, that the prices have popped up by 30-70% for accommodation and car rentals.
    It has been brought to my awareness because a friend from overseas has suddenly decided to come and visit me next week, and I tried to hire a car for him.
    I guess, we will be getting around on the bus this time, hoping that they are not going to charge us special Easter fares.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's right Dora, if everything is booked prices will go up way higher, but if there are a lot of vacancies we might get lucky with last minute offers. So nothing like booking early if you can plan ahead, it will save you money and a lot of headaches.

8. FreeSaver

FreeSaverNew Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty much of a well-organized person. So I plan ahead of time. That includes advance booking for the holiday for me and my family. Aside from huge discounts I get, I can also make use of my points and rewards from loyalty program and mileage. Thanks to GIIFT for organizing all this things for me

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you mean GIIFT FreeSaver?

I usually plan ahead too, but lately I am more into last minute promotions because we can't afford that early booking in the places we want, even with the discounts they become too expensive. Unless it's something really special I just look for something that can fit in what we want.

10. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I also book the vacation as early as possible because on time booking experience is not good for me personally that,s why i book early for the relax of mind or take any burden like these..

11. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    Use to be cheaper doing last minute but not anymore and i can not agree at this statement that just book holidays early because you are not know that what will be happened on time..

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do alot of traveling but I plan to go on a vacation in the near future and I want to be able to save some money so booking early I will for sure be doing. I wondering how much people often save by booking early? Can you save like half?

13. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say I am a big fan with booking all things early holidays,vacation, birthday trips ,ladies night trips I do it all. I get great deals and group rates and I don't like to be stuck out when it comes to arriving to my destinations.

14. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm all about planning head, making reservations months ahead and saving money. Sometimes things happen last minute so you're last minute trying to plan and get reservations made like quick. Either way is fine as there tons of ways to save on your trips. I have saved on both occasions. You save more planning in advance but if you can't, you can still save. Any money saved is a blessing.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once again, we have two choices, we can book early if we need to plan our life ahead and still get the best prices or we can leave it to the last minute, but in this case we risk to get nothing. Some last minute promotions are awesome, but unfortunately that doesn't suit me as I need to plan ahead.