Books or eBooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Aurora • Nov 1, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    We read physical books in the old days. With advanced computer technology, we have applications to enable us to read eBooks just like the physical ones. EBooks is good in saving space and easily accessible whereas the physical books are heavy and bulky. Do you still insist on reading physical books? Why you don’t prefer to read the eBooks?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to read physical books. I can see the advantage of an e-reader but I usually only read one book at a time. I don't mind carrying around a physical book, nor do I mind paying more for one. I find it to be a more enjoyable experience.

3. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I like the physical books. I never ever saw an ebook until I published my own. I never expected to like audiobooks either, but when I heard my own acted out, it was incredible. Then I went back and started listening to some other stories, and the humorous ones are really worth listening too rather than reading. But that is just my opinion.

4. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I love actual books. E-readers just fill so impersonal to me. I love everything about books. The covers, the pages, putting a bookmark in it. I know this sounds weird, but all of that is part of the experience of reading. Having an e-reader just makes me feel like I'm having more screen time with my laptop or tablet. I don't want a screen, I want a book!

5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I do utilize an e-reader on occasion but I can definitely say for a fact that my heart will always be with a paper-page bound book. There is just something about having an adventure to hold in your hand that just makes everything interesting. I love visiting a library and smelling the musty stacks of books and walking through and leisurely selecting the ones I want to take!

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I can read from both formats, but I prefer tangible books in my hands to read, than a electronically projected e-book - it's less harsh on my eyes and I can read it as long as I wish, so long as their is a source of light to shine the pages. In my opinion about E-books, they are better to read on my desktop, than a laptop or smart-phone; the software programs for e-books on desktops are better and easier to use for me. However, the main thing e-books have over tangible books, is the fact that e-books have no weight [well, it does, but it's so small... like electronically small] and can be stored up to the limit of the memory hard-drive itself - books come in various size and weight, which is a hassle to carry about if one is always on the go.

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of ebooks, but I still prefer reading the real thing. What's great about ebooks, obviously, is the convenience they offer. I can read it anywhere, anytime through my smartphone. But nothing compares to sitting in a couch and sipping your favorite drink with a good book in hand. I also like collecting books. And having a collection of ebooks just doesn't feel right for some reason.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both, but a physical book is like escapism, where I can concentrate on one thing with nothing else. Now if I am studying it's much better to have a physical book as I can make notes and refer to different chapters or another book. With an e-book I can's look at two or three books at the same time.

E-books are an addition and don't replace physical books, but the public domain e-books especially classics has made books available to all for free which is a good thing.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people like the feel of physical books in their hands. Most of us have grown up reading physical books so we just like them. But I physical comic books more.

Kids love comic books so once I read them, I donate them to the orphanage that's closest to where I live. If only one could do that with ebooks it would be much better.

10. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer reading physical and tangible books. I know that e-books are getting more popular these days and I understand why -- it's just so convenient and you won't have to carry a literally huge bulk just to read. But regardless of this fact, I still prefer the romance of flipping a novel page by page, and putting a bookmark on parts that you'd soon go back to. I also love the smell of an old book, it just brings back memories.

11. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    People nowadays in developed countries all seem to have a smartphone or tablet so naturally they will shift from carrying an extra weight which is the book itself to carrying maybe hundreds of books in electronic format. Its the way technology evolves, though maybe there are some things to be said about constantly staring at a screen and how it might strain your eyes a bit but we do that practically 24/7 nowadays.

When we don't use our phone/tablets, we are working or playing at the pc, when we are not at the pc, we are watching tv. Our lives have become a series of staring at screens but its not as bad as it sounds, we get informed, we are more practical, we connect with everything, its just kind of lame and not naturally human in its nature, this constant activity of staring at screens. Just what I think.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've made a complete switch over to ebooks ever since I bought a Kindle. I love books and loved reading on them when I was a kid and throughout most of my life, but I find that e-readers are more convenient. I can easily read a few books simultaneously and not worry about carrying them all around to better suit what I'm in the mood for on trips or doctor's appointments.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer reading physical copies for some reason. I think there it's because there's much more charm in reading on paper rather than a brightly lit screen even though I have no problem reading blog articles. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it's just how I prefer it. Although, I am not too against reading ebooks either. I've read a couple on my tablet and I enjoyed it just fine, just not as much.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I still read paperbacks from time to time but I'm mostly reading eBooks nowadays. It's just more convenient reading ebooks because i can bring it with me everywhere i go and it needs room next to nothing. I only have a Kindle app on my iPhone so it's really no bother at all. Traditional books are still cool and i still have some of my old books and i have no plans of getting rid of them ever.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy physical books when I can't find any copy of it's ebook version online. Apart from that reason, I will never buy books again, since they can also be pretty expensive. The one that I recently bought costs $20.

16. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer book over ebook on any day. I am bit of a old school and I think having a good book in hand I'd better than reading from digital devices. I always hate reading ebook.

17. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up reading physical books, (as many of you did as well) but I was able to make the switch to a Kindle easier than I expected. I absolutely love the fact that all my books are on just 1 device. Plus, the additional savings help too :D Maybe someday I will go back, but I doubt it.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only reason that I prefer ebooks over physical books is because you can often download ebooks online, if you look hard enough, and you can download them for free :) I don't have much money, and I make peanuts online, so I do pirate a lot. Ebooks are one of the things that I pirate, though it is not always easy to find a downloadable copy of the ebooks that you are interested in, unfortunately. Plus, ebooks save a lot of space. I'd need a bookcase for all of my books if they were all physical copies, which I just do not have the room.

19. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    I don't really have many hardcover books, but my Amazon collection is rather extensive. I'd rather use a Kindle, it's a lot better than carrying a load of books everywhere you go. Also, it's a lot easier to use and buy books, makes it quite easy actually. But as good as it may be to have 3000 books in your backpocket, nothing beats the smell of paper.

20. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I prefer physical books, however for me, that's not necessarily the best for me.
    eBooks are on the cheaper side for me. One, I use my phone as the eReader. Two, I tend to read free books from Amazon.
    There are some really good ones on there. Some of the sequels are only $0.99
    It's so much better than spending $10, $20 on a book. I just enjoy reading. Downside is no resale, but I never did anyway.