Borrowing clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Theo • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever borrowed an item of clothing from a friend or sibling and never returned it?

I had a friend who kept a jacket of mine and she kept 'forgetting' to return it despite her staying at my house every week so I ended up going to her house to collect it.

My brother and I used to borrow each others jackets and coats and when we lived together, then sometimes I would find things missing for months, only to find them in his wardrobe. He lost his passport once and searched everywhere and couldn't find it, a few months later I found in my pocket his passport as he had borrowed my jacket without telling me and sneaked it back in my wardrobe.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a brother, and he used to covet the mini-tee's that was given to me if he thinks it would suit him, since mini-tee's are in for guys nowadays. He would actually ask to fit it and sometimes asks me if he can wear it. But as for friends, no, I have never borrowed any type of clothing from them. But my friends also don't return stuff that they borrowed if they think that they can get away with it, shame on them for being subtle thieves. I had to ask for the item when I was in their house because they won't bring it to me when I remind them to bring it when they go to my house.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've borrowed clothes before but I've always returned them, but I've let others borrow mine and sometimes they just end up never bringing them back, which is disheartening, but I just know better then to ever lend them something again.

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    My sister used to "borrow" my clothing without my permission all the time. She's two years older than me and most of them time I would never see my stuff again. I would visit her at her college and I'd see my clothing in her closet or she would be wearing something of mine. I usually had to steal my clothes back when she wasn't looking - she always said that she "didn't know they were mine', yeah sure that's a valid excuse.

When I do borrow clothing I make sure to ask beforehand and I'll wash it before I give it back. My best friend and I used to swap our clothing once and awhile. Sometimes we would keep stuff for a week or sometimes a month. It really just depended on when we saw each other and how busy we were.

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to borrow clothes all the time from family and friends. After a few days of having the items, I'd get phone calls telling me to just keep it because they just went and bough a bunch of clothes. It really paid having family and friends to borrow from that you knew they'd eventually give you the clothes. I gained alot of clothes that way.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    It just seems like your friend and your brother could just get their own clothes instead of holding yours hostage like they did. Good for you for getting your stuff back after all that time. I've never borrowed someone's stuff like that or vice versa.

7. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    We borrow clothes for our dance group. We usually never return the costumes back that we use for dances until they start bugging us about it.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've borrowed clothes before but I'm *always* careful to return them as soon as possible, because I worry that if I don't give them back asap I'd end up forgetting about them altogether, and then I'd feel like a jerk. My cousin (who I grew up with, so more like a sister relationship) would constantly "borrow" my clothes without even informing me and then they'd end up in her magical black hole of a room for MONTHS at a time. A few things I've never gotten back at all from her, which irritates me even more :/.

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I sometimes borrow clothes from siblings but only when it's really necessary. Like if there's a special occasion and I don't have any decent thing to wear. And I do returned them as soon as possible - cleaned and in the same condition as when I borrowed them.

I'm not really into borrowing clothes. What I borrow usually are bags and shoes but only from my siblings. :)

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This happened a long time ago, though. My friend and I were still in high school then and we had our club activity at the gymnasium. I forgot to bring an extra t-shirt and was wondering whether I could attend our karate class wearing my uniform. A friend of mine offered her Intramurals shirt and physical education shorts for my usage until the end of our club activity. Time slipped, and I kind of forgot to return the shirt to her. It's still with me even at present. Too late to return the shirt now. It's been 10 years and she never bothered to ask me to return it.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not with my friends, no. I am not that thick-faced. :p i have with my sister though! I borrowed a black blouse for an event, but I didn't return it because I loved it. She forgot about it anyway. When I told her about it, she just shrugged because she didn't even like the blouse. :p

12. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No. I never borrowed a piece of clothing from a friend. The only time I did this was at work. A coworker left her sweater on her chair and it was chilly in the office. She was at a meeting and I took her sweater and wore it. We're good friends and she didn't mind. I gave it back to her once she returned. Other than that, I never borrowed clothing from a friend and I am not all that open to letting my friends wear my clothing. I'm a bit picky over how I keep my clothes clean and I dread the idea of them ruining a top or pair of pants I love.

13. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my cousin borrow and swap clothes. Most of the time I just end up saying keep that it looks better on you and vice versa. I have never really borrowed off of friends. Rather just save up for something if I want or need it. That way I don't have the pressure of having to worry about spilling something down it or tearing it etc. I can be rather clumsy at times. :)

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer not to burrow clothes from others as I am not very comfortable with it. However there was a time when me and my friends went on a night trip and I had forgotten to take a jacket and hence ended up burrowing from friends. That was the first and last time I burrowed anything from anybody.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Borrowing clothes is something I never do. That makes me sound like a snob I understand but I hate wearing anything anyone wear regularly. The exception could be when I'm visiting someone and the weather changes suddenly. At that time I maybe forced by circumstances to borrow a jacket which will be returned right after I have it cleaned.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah I usually borrow from friends and family as well and they borrow from me too sometimes. None of us really borrow for personal fashion though and instead we just do so out of necessity so we tend not to have conflicts when it comes to this. All of us have r personal styles so no one really tries to borrow anything just for the look, just for when they are staying over and forget to bring clothes or similar things like that.

17. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I only borrow clothes from relatives. My sister and I frequently borrow clothes from one another and on several occasions, we have never returned borrowed items to each other. I still have a dress that I borrowed from my sister 5 years ago. She has pretty much forgotten that I had borrowed it or at least she acts like she has forgotten about it. The only time she mentions that it is her dress is when she sees me wearing it. She also has 'forgotten' to return several items of mine. For example, she still has 3 skirts that I custom made for myself. It has now been 3 years since she has 'borrowed' them.

18. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Typically I don't borrow clothing from people but I remember in my younger days my girlfriends and I would trade and borrow outfits when we would go out on the weekends. My siblings and I don't borrow each others clothes because they are ten years younger than me and their tastes are quite different than mine.

19. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    My siblings and I are now almost the same in body size. We borrow each other clothes for practical reasons.

20. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    This always happens between me and my friends, and just to say, it's not upsetting. Whenever we get together for an overnight stay at one of our friend's house, we always tend to leave a dress behind and forget to claim it back. Same thing happens when they come over to my place. We even make some fun out of it by wearing each other's dresses for a hang out. It's cool!