Brand Or Affordability?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by explorerx7 • Mar 15, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Some people are always prepared to go over budget to acquire brand name products which then puts them into a difficult debt situation after. The do not stick to what their income allows to be affordable because they have to have the acclaim that the brands may come with. I have to agree that high-quality products may have better durability and may probably be longer lasting than the regular stuff. However is it worth it to put oneself in a precarious position to acquire it

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well you really have to weight your options. I have been on the wrong side of having the cheap one break down over and over to the point where it would have been cheaper to just get the more expensive one in the first place, and the ones that comes to mind for me is headphones. The cheap ones always break.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no reason why anyone should buy something which they can't afford. In any case there are knock offs which look almost the same as the expensive brands which such people could buy and save some money in the process. While yes they could know it's not the real thing, those they are trying to impress might not notice.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have always been the kind of person who would only spend on something that I can afford. I always practice the saying, "Do not live beyond your means" because I really don't see the sense in trying to acquire what you cannot afford then end up in so much debt because of that. With this, I still prefer products which are affordable and quality-wise. Branded ones have great qualities but there are also a lot of unbranded ones which offer good qualities in them.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly go for function - meaning the product serves it purpose - and then the design. Affordability is another important consideration. Before I wouldn't dare buy anything beyond $50 per clothing item but nowadays, because my financial standing has somewhat improved, I'm willing to consider price tags worth more than $100 if they have everything I need that I couldn't find in other products, brand regardless.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I won't buy a "brand" unless that brand is of a significantly higher quality than the cheaper version of the product. I always buy for the quality of the item, you have to factor in the price because sometimes it can be better to buy one expensive item than three cheap items - as the cheaper ones will cost you more in the long term. But on the whole, I find that paying for brands simply isn't worth it, so it isn't something that I would ever really choose to do for myself.

7. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    That's a tough one. Some brands definitely guarantee high standards of quality. Others are just trendy and overhyped. So, having everything contemplated, I'd chose affordability. It's not smart to buy yourself an iPhone 7 If you struggle to pay your bills or get a high-quality well-prepared food. You just don't need that, right? Don't try to seem rich If you're not. That's a wrong path that will lead you nowhere.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find this is more of a generation thing as younger people like brands and will spend, but once they get older and pay bills and rent, brands aren't an option. I like my brands, but I also look at what is affordable and practical. That's why I like discount warehouses, brands that are affordable.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Affordability is always more important to me than brand. There are many perfectly good products that are lower prices. I think clothes in particular are one of the products that should be bought more for practicality rather than look because clothing can get torn, ripped or ruined all the time doing just every day things. You'd be far more annoyed if it was more expensive than you would if it was something you got in a sale. I won't buy something just because it has a brand name attached to it.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do not purchase something because of the name. If I find something that I like, I will usually stick to that brand but not because it is a status symbol. Frankly, I do not care what people think of my possessions. I purchase for quality and I will not buy something that is cheap in all sense of the word because you will end up spending more money in the long run by having to replace it more often than something that costs a little bit more. If it is out of your budget, then I would suggest saving up for it before purchasing it.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I purchase within my budget. It makes not sense to me to pay for a name brand that is more than likely no better than the next item that is trying to get better known. I do not purchase cheap items but I also do not purchase name brand items.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I choose a mix of both. Branded items get to be expensive because they have good quality control. I think most people assume that just because they can be made with the same materials as cheaper brands then they just be the same but I always give credit to what you are really paying for which is the level of quality control they have for each product. That said, not all products I use really need quality control all that much. I would favor a cheap brand if it's just a white tshirt, for example, because if can easily just replace it constantly without losing sleep over it, and if I pair it up with expensive items then it won't be as noticeably cheap, if at all.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a sensible buyer, and I don't really go for brand names when I can't afford it. I would rather shop for affordable but durable clothes that are within my budget, and I will only shop for brand name clothes when I can afford it.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think people have to live within their means. If you are after brand name items then I would say you have save for it or wait until that brand name item goes on sale. It seems very irresponsible to put yourself in debt to have something you can't afford. If it's something you have to have and you can't afford the brand name item buy a lesser one or wait until you can afford it. I would recommend doing research into products, there are often many other options that are just as good but necessarily the brand name. I personally research all major purchases and try and balance price, quality, brand name, durability, and warranties before buying.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's affordability for right now. I love name brands for I bought Robins shoes and love them, but for now I go for affordability because my budget now won't let me do as I wish. I love brand name products for they are so comfy, last long and very fine.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me the best deal is to marry all- brand, quality and price. I love buying on sale because of that - there is nothing more I love than buying at Zara and Topshop for Forever21 prices.I'm always watching for sales so that I can get items on sale for cheap. But I don't usually pay more because of brand, I rather get affordable.

17. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I buy brand name clothing but not designer clothing in the retail stores. You seldom can find designer name item on sale or with a decent discount. Brand name clothing to me has been around for years like Hanes, Carter, etc. Designer name items are just that a person who has become famous for their product line no matter what their profession is because someone famous liked their design and began sporting it, you know the story.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although cheap can mean poor quality, expensive in no way means good quality. All companies go above and beyond to aquire cheap materials to get the most out of you. I couldn't care less about brands myself. I grew up as everyone else, being conditioned to think bigger is better and life is about climbing ladders and status status status.. fake it till you make it, sort of thing. But not anymore. I won't go into debt to appear as something I'm not and "stuff" holds no meaning.. I buy only what I need now and I'll shop around for the cheapest when it's time. I put my energy into moments, not things.

19. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I always go with the affordability route over brand. I don't like the idea of being in debt over some expensive brand. I always skip over things that cost too much for my taste. When I buy things, I rarely even look at the brand of it. If it's affordable, has good reviews, looks great, well then I usually try it without looking at the brand. I sometimes see expensive stuff that I always find later looking just like it for a much cheaper price. The cheaper one sometimes looks better than the higher priced ones.

20. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I never care about the brand. Some people I know only buy brand clothes, and then they will put them on with huge brand names so everyone can see how rich they are. Honestly, it looks ridiculous. Expensive clothes don't always mean good quality or durability. I always value function and affordability more because I have more important things to spend my money on than showing off.