Brand Or No-name Batteries?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by SLTE • Sep 28, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I can never decide if it's worth it to purchase a small package of well-known batteries that will last a long time or a large package of no-name batteries that won't last as long. I usually go with the no-names, 'cause I find they're a lot cheaper, but dang do you have to replace them often. Sometimes it's more annoying than the money off warrants.

What do you all go for when buying batteries? Named or no-name brands?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just go for the branded ones because they last longer. I've even used some popular brands that ended losing charge a lot faster than their counterparts, although admittedly they were cheaper and this has lead me to believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to batteries. I think rechargeable ones are still the best way to go though and when it comes to those there is no big brand name that offers them so you just will have to go by reviews.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve had better luck with branded batteries as well, Duracell in particular. It’s just too much of a hassle to replace the cheaper stuff constantly, so I’d rather just spend a little more on the longer-lasting batteries and not have to fuss about it as much. Sometimes our Sunday papers will have inserts like SmartSource and Procter and Gamble, though, which usually offer coupons on the name brands. Helps out a lot.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to buy branded batteries because I know that they will last longer and I am assured of their quality. Sure, you can buy the cheaper one, but it won't last as long and the money that you saved will just be spent again buying a new one, so just buy the one that has better quality and will last longer.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, in as much I like to save money just as much as the next person, I'd rather go with branded batteries. I have also noticed that the non-branded ones don't last anywhere near as long as the branded ones. That means you end up having to replace them more often, and that's a huge waste of money.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Batteries are one item that I never buy generic - as although the generics may cheaper to buy - I haven't found them very cost effective in the long run - as not only do they generally not last anywhere near as long as the well known brand name batteries - but I've noticed that they more often than not - have a tendency to leak too.

In fact as I usually buy my batteries in bulk - whenever I see any of the brand names on sale - the overall cost probably works about the same - or possibly even a little less than buying the generic version.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get them from the pound shop or dollar store and quantity doesn't mean better quality. I have found that rechargeable batteries are also unreliable and while they maybe green, that doesn't help when the batteries are flat and you can't use the item.

Depending on what the item is, I use branded. Generic is fine for things like the television remote, but not for doorbells and torches.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am far from a label whore lol. But when it comes to my batteries it is a whole different story, because batteries with no name are usually terrible nad will only last for an hour or so most of the time. So it isn't really about the brand. It is about the quality. I have found that brand named batteries are the better batteries for quality.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll choose quality any time. The cheaper batteries are cheap for a reason. They'll need to be replaced more quickly because they don't last long. While it might seem like you are saving money buying the cheaper batteries initially in the long run you might end up spending more than you would if you bought brand name batteries which are made to last longer.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly. Sometimes you will come across a product that is a decent reasonable price, and it still performs like a high quality product. But that is simply not the case where batteries are concerned, it seems. I don't want to be walking somewhere with my mp3 as my only form of entertainment, and then have to deal with cheap batteries deciding that they are empty. I'd then be left to walk the rest of my journey without any music, which has happened a few times and is really annoying. I always make sure I buy high quality batteries.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you shop around, you can generally get a larger pack of good quality batteries for a good price. I find that prices vary wildly from store to store so it's always worth checking out who has the best deal before you shop.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We go for brand name batteries like Eveready or Energiser. Both do extremely well in their functions. For example, our clock is about a year old already and we still haven't changed its battery. Even our remotes haven't gone through another set of battery for a year now. For my baby's toys, they are struggling right now but still, they performed almost a year without changing their batteries so that is good enough.

One toy we bought has a generic brand battery in it and guess what? It's battery has run out even just after two days of playing with it. I don't know if the store gave us tester batteries or they're really just that weak.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I buy both brands of batteries. One of the neighborhood grocery store has Panasonic brand batteries for .99 a four pack and 1.99 for alkaline double a batteries and I buy them both and it works okay. Not as long as brand name batteries that are soooo expensive. I like to get these batteries for they work just fine. I buy ray-o-vac at Walmart too because they are cheap.

14. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Batteries. I buy branded ones. I know that batteries with brand names tend to have better quality, as they are underwent strict quality control. Yes, you can save money on cheaper, no-name ones at the start, but in the long run, you'll have to keep buying the same cheaper brand over and over again. That makes you spend more than what you're supposed to spend. In the end, branded batteries, albeit more expensive at first, will save you money.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't actually spend my own money on batteries often. The person who is most responsible for purchasing batteries is my mother, and luckily she only really ever purchases Duracell. But every so often she will purchase no named batteries, and I always hate when we are out of Duracell, because then I have to use the cheaper ones, and I know they aren't going to last past a day.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually purchase no name batteries because they are cheaper. As long as you buy alkaline batteries they will last longer. These are the things that I buy. If the batteries are on sale I will sometimes buy name brand batteries. This is the way that we can get the name brand batteries we might desire at a price we can afford. So we are looking for these options and looking to make them as a part of our lives.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to everything technology, I think it's always better to buy a good reputable brand. I have bought batteries, charging cables and things like that and they never last is they have no name.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any problem with going with off brand batteries for cheap tools/gizmo's of mine that aren't worth much to begin with, such as some flashlight I got at the dollar store or some cheap calculator I use from time to time. But I learned the hard way to never trust these things in more expensive equipment. Namely, a $500 Canon flash I put some cheap-o batteries in, only to discover they had corroded a couple weeks later, permanently ruining my flash and making it useless.

I tried the many suggestions online to clean the battery connectors with vinegar and other household products, which helped slightly - I got the flash working again temporarily, but a few days later it stopped working again. I believe the corrosion continued inside the flash, into the electrical components as well. In other words, it's a lost cause at this point.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if this sounds like an advertisement but I only buy Eveready batteries particularly the energizer type. Especially for the camera - when the charger was left at home and the battery runs low - we would be scouring the area for Eveready batteries. For the not popular brand of batteries, we have a lot of that from the giveaways in the supermarket. We use that for the flashlight.

20. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on the kind of device that is needing the batteries. If it is say an expensive clock, calculator or camera, I generally buy branded ones such as those from Energizer, Duracell or Panasonic. However, if it is just a wireless mouse, torch or bedside alarm clock, I will be more than happy to use generic ones. My only concern with the no-brand ones are that they may leak and damage my device. Has happened far too often than I'd like! But you do save a lot with the cheap batteries.