Breakfast Or Brunch?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Mar 18, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have brunch whenever I can rather than breakfast as then I don't need to stop for lunch and can have a snack. I know people think this is for people that don't work or for weekends, but as people freelance more, they have more control over their time and eating habits and brunch works best for me.

Basically I see it as a large breakfast before midday which means I can have a snack about 2 or 3pm which we call tea time in the UK.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Often I have brunch, and it works well for me, too. There are usually things that I need or want to do when I get up, and I often just have a quick cup of coffee, and then the next thing I know, it is almost lunch time, and I have not had any breakfast yet. So then I have brunch, and usually then just a small meal later in the day , especially if the brunch doesn't happen until well past time for having lunch.
    Some mornings, I simply wake up and want breakfast right away, and then I do that, so for me it is not any set schedule. Food happens when it happens.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    If I ever eat brunch it's usually in a social situation & I never have breakfast when I know I'm having brunch. It just makes little sense to have both meals to me. I like to get to a brunch buffet ready to max a meal. :D

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have brunch as well since I don't appreciate waking up early in the morning to prepare breakfast. There are also more options available for a brunch menu as compared to breakfast at most eateries.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind brunch, but I very rarely have it. I prefer breakfast as I tend to get up early, and I'm usually a little hungry; so I couldn't wait for mid morning to mid day to have my first meal of the day. I'd be starving by then! I can see why it would work for many WAH people, though.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I guess you could say I tend to have brunch a great deal of the time. Ordinarily, I'm a two meal a day person with a couple of snacks along the way and sometimes more than a couple. It depends on the day.

I'm not usually hungry for quite awhile after I get up. My husband is, though, so I fix a large breakfast.

I just don't often eat it.

I will, however, eat breakfast if I take the time to fix pancakes. I love sourdough pancakes, but when I fix those it tends to be a little later than I normally fix my husband's breakfast anyway.

So, I guess you could say that brunch is pretty good for me.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the sound of sourdough pancakes, I've not heard of them but sounds like something I would like as I like sourdough bread.

I do think of people are trying to lose weight having a big breakfast or brunch would help as they will snack less and burn off the calories throughout the day. That's my logic too though and you eat more effectively rather than for hunger.

8. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't see a distinction between breakfast and brunch; to me, it just depends on what kind of food it is (and often times breakfast can have what brunch has, etc).

If it's the weekday I usually have breakfast because I get up so early, but if it's the weekend or on days I have off I usually sleep in a little bit more and have brunch. But...my definition of sleeping in is until like 9 or 10am, so it's not SUPER late.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not one to eat a lot in the morning, so I actually prefer lunch and dinner! But brunches are a rare occasion for me, so between those I'll pick breakfast.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I find it to work the other way around. If I start to eat early in the day then I seem to continue to eat all day for some reason. Whereas, if I wait awhile and let my stomach get a little past empty before then it's like it fools it, and I end up being less hungry throughout the day.

This is the sourdough pancake recipe that I use, though I already had my own starter going when I found it and use it with that. So easy! The batter is mostly already made if you keep starter on hand. Also, I only make half the recipe most times. It's plenty enough for two people that way.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I take my breakfast on time and everyday as much as possible. This way the normal rhythm of my digestion is followed. I only have brunch if I am late to the office or have a very special appointments that are quite difficult for my schedule. Sometimes if I am very excited to do a thing that I forgot to take my breakfast so I have brunch instead.

12. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Same for me, I very rarely have a breakfast in the morning, normally due to time and work so I'd prefer to have something mid morning, then again in the afternoon and then a main meal when I get home from work in the evening. I feel the 3 square meals a day that people have been brought up on is slowly fading out.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also prefer brunch over having breakfast and lunch. Often I do not have too much appetite to eat in the early morning and if I force myself to eat it just feels weird. Whereas by brunch time I'm already hungry enough and also awake enough that I'd actually be able to enjoy my meal, and overall it's just a more pleasant time for me to eat and even have conversions over a meal.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Once that I woke the first thing that I do is the preparation of my meal, and because the time that I wake up is not consistent, sometimes I would wake at the time that it's already turning lunch or way far before lunch or even some time after lunch. No matter how late I woke up, I would make it a point to eat a meal intended for breakfast. It's easy for me, because I'm alone, meaning that I can decide freely on the time that I'm going to eat.

15. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    It's always breakfast for me. A decent breakfast will keep me satisfied all the way until dinner. If I wait until later in the morning to eat I'll eat non stop, all day. I guess my body just really likes my breakfast routine lol

16. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I love brunch. I deliver my grandson to school and my daughter to work, so I normally do not have time for a breakfast other than maybe a mug of coffee in the car. So when I get home, I usually fix something around 9ish. My favorite thing to make then is a frittata. I usually put fried potatoes in the bottom of a buttered skillet, add leftover vegies, some kind of meat and a cheese, then add the eggs that have been beaten in a bowl with a lilttle water, salt/pepper and maybe a couple of dashes of hot sauce. It cooks on the stove until the bottome is set and then into the oven to finish. Yum.

17. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer breakfast because I always have it every single morning after waking up. I did have brunch before long ago but it's been quite a while since I had it. There are times when I eat oatmeal because it's delicious and heart healthy plus there are other positive health benefits.

18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I forgo both. I know people say breakfast is the most important meal, but I'm usually not hungry. I have a good sized lunch while I'm at work and am ready for dinner with my family when I get home. It works best that way with my appetite and schedule.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually have neither. And by that, I mean, I just eat whenever I feel like. Some days I don't eat for 6 hours after waking up, some days I wake up and eat right away... I know it's not exactly healthy, so I guess I really should change that, huh..

20. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    It really just depends on who I am with, what kind of mood I am currently in, and where and what am I going to eat. Sometimes, there are days where I want to wake up early to a large, full breakfast, and there are days where I just want to have a brunch type meal with some friends.