Bringing Back The Walkman?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by JoanMcWench • Apr 24, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    So, it looks like Sony got a bright idea about turning back time & finding a way. It's the rebirth of Sony's flagship music player: The Walkman.

DUN DUN DUN
    sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015-650-80.

They've clearly given it the once over & absolutely in no way whatsoever have made it look like an iPod. Not at ALL. It'll have 128 GB on it but you could probably buy a thousand original Walkman on eBay at the price of this thing: $1,119.99!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This device was announced awhile ago, and it's really designed for audiophiles and people with cash to burn. It's a premium, overpriced device on purpose, and I'm sure at least a few thousand people will buy one. Doesn't it come with lossless audio? If it does, then that's one of its main selling points. I would buy one for the heck of it if I had that much money to throw down.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely not for me. It's damn too expensive. If I need a portable music player then my phone will do just fine. And for many others. there's no need of buy this "walkman" if you can listen to music using any other device. But there are lots of suckers willing to try out anything new anyway. I can hardly wait to find out if Sony's new venture will turn out to be profitable.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Looks like it's running Android, and as far as I know, Android can play lossless - at least FLAC - natively. Another question is, if the hardware will be good enough for you to actually hear the difference...

Either way, I don't think it looks like an iPod. It just looks like a phone, or whatever. It's not like you can make some big breakthru when it comes to portable audio players, they all look the same..

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    There is no way that I am going to buy this! I can listen to music for free on my cell phone. I put music an SD card on my computer and then I put it on my phone. Free and no need for a fancy walkman. I do have a discman to sell if anyone is interested in buying it!

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not for me either. Not only am I happy with my current smartphone. But I already have multiple other ways to enjoy my music on the go. I have an mp3, and my Nokia smartphone plays music effortlessly. I don't see why I'd need a walkman again. They bring out all of these ideas, but to me they merely seem like gimmicks.

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I thought the title meant actually bringing back walkmans and cassettes. I'm not sure what is so great about this reinterpretation of the walkman.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see no real need for this at all. The sound quality on my Xperia phone is excellent and it's easy enough to buy a bigger memory card if I wanted to store more music. The device does look good but I'm not sure if it's going to make much of an impact.

It will end up in the bargain basement, next to the Zune players!

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I was wondering what niche market this could possibly fulfill that can make the sales worth it. I don't think it can ever appeal on a mass level because it's just too impractical and expensive and it really makes me question the company on their decision making. Maybe I'm not seeing something here but by today's standards I think it's a bit too odd and impractical.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With so many of our devices that will play music why do we need another one. I play music on my tablet, computer and cell phone already. This is one I think I can pass up but it is nice to know it is available.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big audiophile myself but I wouldn't spend that much money on that thing not unless it sounds as good as the thousand bucks you'd give for it. I mean come on, $1000?

12. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    They cannot expect to sell many of these at a price like that, surely!
    The walkman was good, I remember having one, but would not even think about paying that much for it, especially when you can get a half decent mp3 player for about 2% of that price!!

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My tablet plays music beautifully so I can't imagine buying this device. I don't see any justification for paying a month's rent on another music player. I'll pass.

14. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa that is a lot of money for something like that. I do not think that this is something that I would be getting right now. I think that this is more for people who like to have lots and lots of music and who are really just music junkies and I think that they did it this way just to appeal to a certain type of people in the portable music niche.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that device will only cater to the rich people who like to collect things because they have a lot of money to burn. You can buy a cheap brand new mp3 player off of Ebay made in China for only $1 to $2 up. I'm not sure about the quality though since mine hasn't arrived yet, but I won't waste money buying something that my phone or pc can do.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If this device's main feature is that it plays lossless track so does iphones. There's app you can download that plays high quality audio or you can subscribe to TIDAL, really nice app and so worth it. I would not buy this ever though, what's the point, i have a phone and it's thinner and I've got everything i need, technology wise on it.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a music lover but I'm sure many of my colleagues would love that walkman. At least they now can choose what music they want to hear. But my boss is different. I'm sure he would buy that so he could listen to the lectures while he is driving. Talk of a nerd boss, hahahaaah. And in fairness to me, at least I would be at peace when I take the car pool since walkman is private listening and I wouldn't hear their music.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that price tag is ridiculous. I wonder why they didn't lower the price so more people can be enticed to buy it. For one, we have so many gadgets nowadays and these gadgets can double as music players as well. The market for music players is congested already. And to be able to sell a product, they need to produce it within the average price range. Oh well, I guess this is just me not being able to afford the product and ranting about it. Lol, I loved my walkman back then but the price tag of this one is just too high.:/

19. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    With so much devices in the market nowadays that allows you to play music, this is going to be an extremely tough time for the Sony product. Not only is there a lot of competition, but I also don't think that they innovated something new that will really drive their sales through the roof. For me who's a normal customer, I don't think that this product is any different than the ones that are available to me albeit at a smaller price.