Budgeted Smartphone Advice

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DreekLass • Nov 25, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother just told me that she is getting me a smartphone for Christmas, but doesn't know what to get me. The budget is £120, which is not a lot to spend when it comes to the smartphones that are on the market these days. I have had a Nokia C7 for over six years now, so I am terribly out of the loop when it comes to knowing what phone would be the best step up from my Nokia C7. My mother has up to date Nokia phones, and they seem like a pain in the ass, so I don't want to go the Nokia route. Does anyone have any useful suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure of the prices there but just recently, I had bought a replacement for my old Samsung S3 which costs 25,000 some 3 years ago. I bought a higher model Samsung J7 for only 13,000. The amounts are in pesos but you can already see the difference from 25k down to 13k is almost half. I'm at home with Samsung that's why I did not change the brand.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some suggestions:

- Samsung Galaxy Core I8262 - costs about $192. That would be about 125 Pounds.
    - Motorola Moto G2 - costs 120 pounds.
    - Xiaomi Redmi 2 - costs about $150.
    - Huawei Snapto - it will cost $169 or less depending on where you buy it.
    - POSH Titan HD E550a - $150.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Wow, this is a comprehensive list. Thank you so much for compiling it for me - as well as tagging on the price information too :) After speaking to my mother, she is now saying that I have £150 to spend on the phone, because I told her that I could not really find a decent phone for £120. Everything that caught my eye was a little over that price, or a lot over that price.

The Galaxy Core has taken my interest. Do you have any personal experience with it? Would you suggest it?

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest the Xperia E4 which is around $170, and since British Pounds have more value than the US dollar, then it just might fit in with your mom's budget range.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used the Samsung Galaxy core but since I always use Samsung phones I would recommend a Samsung product anytime but you shouldn't take my word for it because of this preconceived notion that Samsung makes better phones. It would be best to actually take a look at some reviews and draw your own conclusions:

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I was looking specifically for a Samsung product. But then I went browsing on various different websites, including Amazon. Then I saw the prices, and there is no way in hell that I am going to be okay with spending £300 to £600 on one object that has the ability to break. If I am going to spend that much money on anything, then it better be unbreakable. I looked at some reviews for the core and whilst it is a good phone for someone on a budget, some of the problems that people have encounters are problems that I just don't want to have to risk dealing with.

8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have a Samsung galaxy avant for $150 at T-Mobile. Who is your phone carrier? Try to see if they have any holiday deals. Do you have a plan where you are able to upgrade to a better phone?

Finally having a new phone can be fun, it's just figuring out which phone you want. Also, would you want a brand-new phone or would you be OK with a refurbished one?

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Each year just before the next iPhone comes out, carriers such as AT&T often hit up their customers and offer the prior years model either free or dirt cheap, if they extend their contract with them for another 2 years. I know it's too late for that now, but something to consider if you're looking to upgrade your phone but don't want to spend much. Perhaps she can get you something else instead, and if you can hold out until next August, snag that deal instead.

Otherwise if you can get a good price on an older model high end Android phone that may be a better route to go than getting the latest cheap model at full price. You can also look online to see if anyone is selling a phone used on eBay with good specs. Lots of people like to upgrade their phones every year (sometimes every few months) and unload their previous phones on eBay. Just be sure to order from a trusted seller, and check the pictures and description carefully for any mentions of defects or blemishes. Sometimes people just grab generic photos of their model phone instead of taking actual pictures of the phone they own themselves.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    My phone carrier is currently Vodafone. I will change though, if that means that I can get another Sim free phone that is good for a decent price. I spent most of last night looking for a good budgeted smartphone, and decided upon the Huawei P8 Lite. I am planning to get the phone from the Carphone Warehouse, as it is Black Friday and the prices are even lower than they would have been. This phone is £200 - £300 on Amazon, and it is only £89.99 with Carphone Warehouse.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    So my mother and I went to the Carphone Warehouse yesterday, and we had to wait like an hour until we were served. But once we were eventually seen, it was easy to purchase the phone that I was after. I ended up purchasing the Hauwei P8 Lite, and I have to say that I am blown away by the phone's capabilities. It was only £100 overall. It was supposed to be less, but they did not have it in the network provider that I had initially wanted, so I had to go with another one, which is why it cost a bit more. I am loving the feature where you can speak and the phone will type what you say for you.

12. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    What about the Blackberry? Is that a dying fad now because it seemed so popular at the time and I had to get one but now that I have seen the others im glad I got that one and my father has the latest one which he swears by

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I did come across the most up to date Blackberry yet when I was searching, but it was WAY too expensive, and I have never really been on the whole Blackberry hype train, to be honest. My sister used to have one, but even through seeing her use it I wasn't impressed and could never really understand why people were so invested in the trend. I am happy with the Hauwei P8 Lite that I purchased instead. It is a fabulous smartphone.

14. Shadejb

ShadejbNew Member

Threads:
    Do you have to stick with Android ? Because if not, then there are a lot of nice options for you. Nokia made some of the best budget smartphones available, and I have some suggestions below:

- Lumia 535
    - Xiaomi Redmi 2
    - Lumia 635
    - LG Magna
    - Lumia 928: highly recommended, it was a flagship 2 years ago, and the camera is still one of the best to this date.
    - Lenovo K3 Note: 5.5 inches screen and a large battery
    - Lumia 640XL: another phablet.
    - Blackberry Z10: you might need to look around for this, but it is available for under 120. Blackberry OS 10 is fully touch, with better security and notification system, so it might worth a look into.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have actually never been with Android before in the past. I have had a Nokia C7 for 8 to nine years now, and me getting the Hauwei P8 Lite Android 5 Lolipop phone was my very first Android venture, although I have had an android tablet in the past. But it was Android 4. Thank you so much for your list of compiled devices :) But I have already gone with the Hauwei :)