build your own computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by roy835 • Oct 28, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    Did you know that you can build your own computer from scratch? And in many cases it would be a lot cheaper than buying a ready made one from the store. It may not be totally from scratch because you would not actually make the parts yourself. But you can go to a computer store and obtain all the separate parts that goes into assembling a new computer. Such as, the motherboard, the power supply, the hard drive, etc. It is a great way to learn about the inner workings of a computer and you could save significantly while building yourself a brand new computer. Much of the instructions are online. Or you can even get a very inexpensive book on the subject from Amazon dot com or even your local Library. Once you get the general idea of how to do it yourself, it can be very easy. Check it out.

2. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I actually built my own PC. It wasn't necessarily cheaper than store computers since I added some pretty high spec components, but I am really satisfied with it. I'm pretty big on graphic design, video editing and gaming, so I like to know it will be years before I need an upgrade.

For people that are okay with lower specs however, building their own PC can end up being much cheaper.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I always build my own rig. The pre-built ones are typically more expensive for the specs they come with. This is why I always recommend to bring somebody who really knows the techie side of things, so you can have the most bang for your buck. Customization is the biggest advantage here.

4. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Building a compute from scratch sounds really easy, but it's daunting when you actually think about it. Don't even think about it if you are a newbie. On the other hand, if you already have some experience in assembling a PC, you'll find that it's a lot cheaper to build a PC than to buy a ready-made one.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't even SOUND easy to me. I'd love to build one because mine sucks.
    Does anyone know of any places that will build a custom one for you? I tried using yellow pages but I am still confused. I hear that even if you get someone to build it for you it is still cheaper than the pre-built. My budget is only about 600 if that helps.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been looking into this recently and the only thing I really worry about is compatibility and choosing the wrong brands. From what I've seen there are just way too many brand options for each part and discerning which ones would go best with other parts is just a little daunting to say the least. However, I don't think it's that impossible to learn it even with these obstacles and that's why I'm choosing to try it out. I'm starting with a cheap one though as I don't think I would be too happy if I made a mistake building a very expensive computer as a first attempt.

7. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    PC parts store employees will generally be knowledgeable enough to guide you through the choice of components. But if you have a specific budget to plan with, it may be best to use online PC building tools. You basically choose a motherboard, and they give you a list of all the compatible components you can include. Then you can either buy them online, or look for them in local stores.

8. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    building one's own computer is these days reserved for those highly interested in doing so. as most people do not have that level of interest. The thing is it takes time and certainly a lot of effort to build your own computer. So many of us prefer to buy or do some customizing where offered.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Building a custom PC is ideal if you have a certain budget and you want certain items. You will actually find that most computers that are prices $500 are only priced that because of the service done. They are already build so you can expect a extra $100 being added to teh price. Catching deals and bargaining can easily make your build way cheaper than pre build.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    Actually, it's fairly easy to build your own PC. It should only take around four hours for your first build, and as you assemble more, it should take less and less time. Even if your level of interest is not high, it's still worth doing because of the value. You can get a much better, faster, and reliable computer compared to a pre-built one for maybe 10-12 hours worth of research and assembling. I recommend looking up the Newegg tutorials on how to make a computer if you really want to know how as it provides valuable tips from an expert and also shows you how to assemble your computer safely without burning out any of your shiny, brand-new parts.

11. legendia

legendiaNew Member

Threads:
    About 10 years ago, I used to be really into this. Not only was it cheaper, but I found it very fun. It still is cheaper and fun, but it's hard for me to justify buying a desktop. My laptop does everything I need it to do and is super portable. I'm a gamer, so I realize I could get some amazing power out of a custom-built desktop, but it's just not worth it for me. I like to game on my laptop, that way I can take it over to a friend's place and game with them or something.

Like others have said, Newegg is the best place to get your computer parts. I've had nothing but fantastic experiences with them. If you're in the market to build a computer soon, I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals. I'm sure you could get some pretty good deals.

I've been meaning to build myself a Home Theater PC sometime. Basically a computer that hooks up to my TV and just plays movies and games on my TV. Would love to use my 360 controller to play some Steam games on the big screen. I'm more of a couch gamer, as opposed to sitting at my desk and playing on my PC. Plus it would be cool to be able to stream video to my TV through my PC. I have netflix and youtube apps in my TV, but the computer is so much more versatile than even the best Smart TV out right now.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like we touch upon this exact same subject every couple months. Of course you can build your own computer to your exact specifications, assuming everything is compatible. There are millions of different configurations for parts, and each one will give you a completely different machine. LogicalIncrements.com offers a simple to follow guide for creating a gaming PC, and all parts are compatible within a given tier. It's a very handy site to use for this purpose.

13. hclpd

hclpdBanned

Threads:
    Building a PC is really easy. I never understood that when I had a console. I thought why bother with building a PC when you can just insert a disk and play whenever you want? But when I started gaming on PC and started playing games like Dota 2, I realized that I was missing out on a lot. It's jut been 2 years since I built my own PC and I have not regretted it. I will be upgrading it sometime next year. It should be easy though.

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I've built my own PC before. Not for the cost reasons, but because I wanted to fine tune it, also just for the joy of building my own computer from scratch. Building a laptop however is a lot more difficult, and I think in most cases actually more expensive. Modding a laptop is probably best if you want to fine tune it.