Building a computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mizrael • Jan 8, 2015.

1. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    Hello everyone, at this moment I'm contemplating on building a new computer, I have built several computers in the past as a newbie Of course and was somewhat pleased with what I've accomplished. I would like to build a computer that surpass my last one, I'm not looking to build a gaming computer but one that can accomplish a variety of different task, it needs to have a decent video card to play games and most definitely an awesome song card because I work with music software and music files. It's been a long time since I actually built a computer, but if someone can suggest to me the fastest and best processor on the market for 2015 right now that would be great and if anyone knows of a motherboard that is top-of-the-line that would be great too. I think they go hand in hand.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:

Geared toward gaming builds, but they feature top of the line processors in the later tiers. I highly doubt you actually need a high-end Core i7 processor, but it's going to run you a few hundred dollars at the least. A Core i5 would range from $200 to $500 or so, though. I don't remember if the site lists audio cards, but they've got tons of video cards on there. Anything in a given tier is all compatible, so it's easy enough to figure out what will and won't match.

3. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I will go out on a limb and suggest a configuration (two actually in two different price points). This way you can just search for alternatives and use my recommendation as a starting point.

This below configuration is supposed to set you back by about $600 to $700.

The case: NZXT Source 210 Elite
    The power supply: Corsair Builder Series CX500M 500W Power Supply
    The CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core 3.5GHz AM3+ Processor or Intel Haswell Core i3-4330 is a bit more expensive, but offers more power per-core than the FX-6300, while the FX-6300 packs more cores.
    The motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard or ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    The storage: Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB Hard Drive or similar Seagate 1TB model
    The graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB Video Card/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 3GB

This below configuration is supposed to set you back by about $1200 to $1300.

The case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R
    The power supply: CORSAIR CX600M 600W High Performance Modular Power Supply
    The CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor or Intel Core i7-4790K (about $100 more)
    The motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z97 which is a bit more expensive but has better audio
    The memory: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Elite Series 240-Pin DIMM DDR3-1600 RAM Kit if you have more money, you can obviously load upto 32GB
    The graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card or the 4GB version of the GTX 770 or the NVIDIA just unveiled the GTX 970 and 980.

Let me know how it goes.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    For surfing purposes, I use only a very basic computer which costs about 200usd all in. I can do this because, for surfing purposes, I do not need much resources. I do not even need a hard drive or any other kinds of drives. All I need is a usb port and I can run my computer from a usb drive. I do this by using Puppy Linux.

5. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I am happy to see two schematics that you listed. It gives me a good base to start out with, I think I'll go with the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H LGA 1150 motherboard that you mention, Gigabyte has a very good reputation and I find it durable, and I like CORSAIR CX600M 600W High Performance Modular Power Supply, I've had issues before with power supplies not putting out enough and causing my computer to crash, and I think most important I will go with the Intel Core i7-4790K processor. It's a little pricey but it will leave me room to upgrade, I already have Western Digital hard drives, so that will save me some money, the only thing missing is a song card. Because I work with a lot of music software and am also a DJ, I think I need something other than the on built-in to the motherboard. I have another question for you between the Core i3-4330 and Core i7-4790K processor which is better in terms of performance? And can I use the Core i3-4330 with the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H LGA 1150 motherboard?

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    A song card? What exactly is that? Do you mean a sound card?

7. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    You can use the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK as that is compatible with Corei3-4330. Not sure how much it costs extra. Good luck with your PC..

8. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    If you are going to build your own machine be sure you install a Solid State Hard Drive. It makes a huge difference in the speed you boot up your computer. I installed one in my own computer based a recommendation from a technician I work with and I have not been disappointed. My computer (Windows 7, HP) boots up in 20 seconds!! I have 4GB RAM and 750GB Hard Drive.

9. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    Excuse my description, I meant a sound card, I'm not sure what brand to go with right now, I know there's a lot of them out there. I think I might go with sound Audigy they have a good reputation for the most part, I'm just not impressed with their software upgrades, I bought one to use with windows XP and now it's redundant because I can't use it with Windows 8.

10. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I already tried that I purchased an SSD hard drive , thinking it would speed up my computer, it only had 111 Gb on it. I was somewhat disappointed when it didn't improve my speed at all, I eventually put my operating system on one of my HDD and found that it performed a lot faster and better, it could be that my SSD was too small.