Bulk Meat

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Bolt • Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying meat in bulk is a great way to reduce the price and also raise the quality of the meat. You can contact your local farmer and bargain with him for the price you want. You will obviously need a lot of freezer space if you are buying bulk, we have a spare deep-freezer in the garage.

Do you buy meat in bulk? Is it something you would consider doing?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Good point. Thanks. Since I love eating steak, I do like buying it or having it cooked rare. Also salty. Hope I am not too off the point here...but alas, so it is. I am wary of buying meat in bulk as it can go off. Also, I do not own a freezer, (big smile). (-:

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely thinking about buying meat in bulk because it seems like you could save gas and trips to the store, plus plan all your meals in advance. I don't have a "local farmer" because I live in the city, but there are butcher shops around here. Thanks for sharing the tip. This is a good idea.

4. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    Great tip. We used to do this all the time back several years ago when our kids were here. We have a large freezer downstairs that we bought for this reason. We haven't done this in several years now that the kids are grown and out. Great tip especially for those that have kids living at home. Thanks for sharing this.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We are fortunate to have a local butcher that works with local farms and ranches so we will buy from him whenever possible. He puts together some really nice package combinations. The one we usually get has 15 lbs of ground beef, three whole chickens and three packs of bone in chicken breasts, two beef roasts, five steaks and 3 lbs of pork sausage. The price can vary but this package usually lasts us for about a month. The quality of meat is so much better than grocery stores.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I do this!

I buy both beef and pork this way. It is sooo much cheaper and sooo much tastier. It's amazing the quality difference after you've been eating commercial quality for so long. To switch to a local farmer... the meat is delicious.

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to do this. I need to seriously look into contacting a local farmer. We have been toying with the idea of getting a large deep freezer as we eat a lot of meat. It kills me to buy a small $10 package of beef that will last us two days!

Your post is REALLY convincing me to find a local farmer. :D