Buy Less Toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Sep 8, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids don't need lots of toys in order for them to be happy.

One of my nieces only played with a stuffed tortoise. Any new toys she'd get would be dismantled.

It made me realize that kids will always have a favorite toy. If you know the toy they like you could get them a replacement [either the same toy (different color obviously) or something similar to it]. Two or three toys would be enough because kids always will find ways to amuse themselves when playing with toys bores them.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    My son is the opposite. He gets bored with just a few toys. In fact, we tend to buy him a new one every week or every two weeks. When he's tired of a toy, he'll throw it like it doesn't matter to him lol. I wish he's one of those kids who are fine with a few toys but he isn't. And it's crucial to have him play toys as gadgets are still a big no in our case.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that kids do not need alot of toys. I believe they need to have something to do to keep their attention but it does not need to be a toy, it can be a book or music. Coloring is back in style, I love to color. I like to switch out toys when the kid loses interest, I set it aside for awhile and then bring it back after awhile.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I would have my way, I would bring my kids to the Toy Kingdom and let them choose what toys they want. But wait, I didn't say you can buy anything you want, you can just choose and let's talk about it. Giving the kid all he wanted would definitely spoil him. I teach the kids practicality even at their young age. Better to start them young so they would know the value of money.

5. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the kid, I think. One of my nephews likes variety, and he moves from toy to toy with wild abandon. We always need to have a full chest of toys ready - which is easy, since my wife and I are both toy lovers - when he comes over for a visit. His younger brother, by contrast, tends to choose one toy and cling to it. Seems to be in love with trucks at the moment. I'm betting he's gonna love Transformers when he gets older.

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Our daughter ended up with way too many toys. One day I told my husband I read an article from a mother's blog where she said kids really don't need that many toys at all. And it clicked. I said we're getting rid of a majority of her toys! It's crazy how stacked up things can get without you even realizing it. She doesn't even want to play with them, only a few here and there. Her little brother likes the variety, but she's over it. So yes downsizing is a great idea and we need to stop spoiling our kids.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I have nieces and nephews and no matter oh many toys they get they always return to simple things that require imagination like maybe just using small items and imagining they were guns or something. It really is fascinating to me as I never grew up with that many toys, even though I did have a significant amount, but back then I always used to think I'd be much happier if I had more but now looking back and looking at how children behave from my now grown up point of view, I'm not so sure anymore.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree my two boys have way too many toys. At Christmas I will sometimes hide some of the toys they get, when they don't miss them I'll donate them or give them birthday presents when they are invited to a party. It seems shameful to have so many toys. They can't possibly play with all of them. But like most parents we want to make sure they had a range of toys like puzzles, action figures, toy cars, balls, sports equipment, board games and more so we keep buying more.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My kid gets so bored with the same toys! I find that doing arts and crafts is helpful. It is making something new each day and it fosters their creativity. A few crayons and a coloring book are far cheaper than a board game they are going to play once.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm waiting for the day that my son is old enough for crayons, paint, play dough and art activities like this. It seems like fun to do crafts with your child! And I think it's a great way of enhancing their imagination and creativity. Plus as you said, it's cheaper than buying loads and loads of toys every week. My son is just a year old so we're not there yet, lol.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My little guy typically plays with a few toys at a time. He will get sick of those, and move on to a new set of a few toys a few hours later. He is still pretty young. I think it depends on the age of the child. My son has toys that he favors over others, but he doesn't really notice when they are missing, so I don't know if I'd call them his favorites. Sometimes he is just as content playing with non-toy items, like a bowl, colander, spoon, or burp cloth.