Buy one and get one free offers

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Lostvalleyguy • May 12, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    This is a common sales technique where I live and more often than not, I find these sales to be anything but a bargain. There are some products that are better suited to this than others. There are some shoppers who can take advantage of these offers better than others as well.

The first thing I notice with these offers is that the price of the item is often elevated beyond my price point for a single. In other words, I wouldn't pay that price for one. The second thing I notice is that a lot of these offers are not suited to a single individual. It is great that I can take my friend out for a buy one get one free lunch at a fast food place but I don't always eat with someone. I do not need two fast food meals for myself but I suspect a number of people get the second one simply because they have a coupon.

While items like clothing can be good to pick up on a two for one deal, many of these offers are not as good as they look on paper. Do you think you are able to get a bargain buying two and paying for one or are you being drawn into spending that you wouldn't ordinarily do?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd weight my options carefully before paying for something. No one is in business for charity so there always has to be a catch somewhere. If the price is too high and I won't need the second product then I definitely won't buy it. It's pretty much the same ruse some restaurants use. You pay a flat fee and eat as much as you can. They know quite well that the best you'd do is eat food that costs half the money you paid to them.

So any time I come across such deals, I'll most likely take a step back unless there's a way of working your way around the trap they've set for you.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't fall for these LOL. I usually go to the sales section and I can find items that are much cheaper and I can get up to 3 items for that same promotion price. Those items usually go on sale later anyways. My rule of buying is to never spend $10 on a piece of clothing exceptions are jackets and jeans. Believe it or not I got a jean jacket for $11 the other day and a pair of jeans for $6, all at Hollister and Abercrombie!

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't give in to these strategies, because although you would be able to have more with spending less than it would have to take originally, you would still have to spend. Also often with this, the price that they set already covers the two. They make you think it's just for the price of one, but it's not like that really. Nevertheless, if I really like the item, I buy it.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If I take advantage of deals like this, I just make sure I order something that will reheat well later. So then I end up with two cheap meals for the day (or lunch the next day). Yes, I might spend a little more overall, but the food isn't going to waste since I'll be eating it for another meal anyway.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My local corner shop does these promotions daily and I have yet be disappointed. It is normall on things like butter, yoghurt, bottles o Coke or other small bits like this. I just wish they could stock the shelves quicker because these bargains go incredibly quickly and more often than not you are left looking at empty shelves.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I go for these type of offers only when I have a coupon. You can really get a great deal if you are able to get a two for one deal and then a bit extra off. I usually look for this kind of opportunity when grocery shopping.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love promos like these because it's a great chance to buy items you wouldn't mind getting cheap quality for. A favorite item I love to buy on promo periods like these is house clothes, because I don't really need to dress up when at home so I feel it to be okay that I dress in cheap clothes at home, and nowadays cheap clothes are of much better quality anyway, so there's even that added bonus. That, and I'm much more comfortable sleeping when I know that the clothes I'm stretching out as I move around while I sleep are at least not that expensive and since I'd have a second item due to the buy one take one promo, I'd even have a spare for when it gives out.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I only go after to these type of offers if I really do need to buy the product promoted but if not then I will not bother. I don't want to spend the money just because of the offer. As for food, I will grab the offer if I have a family member to take with me.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only avail of such offers when I need or want the item that's being offered, and if I would really save money buying those products that are "buy one take one", otherwise I won't really bother spending my money on something that is bundled on a certain product for the price of one if I'm not going to use them, with the exception of food, of course. I would definitely avail of that even if I'm not planning to buy them just so that I could get a bargain.

11. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    The buy one get one free sales offers are very popular in my country. Sometimes you can buy one item and get another one at half price. I have no problem with either one of these offers, but I only go for it if I really do need the second item which is not very often. There are times that I would be looking to buy a pair of shoes, and I can get a second pair at half the price, but I would only end up spending more money than I planned since I would be interested in only one pair of shoes at the time.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love these sales especially when it comes to vitamins and herbs! I need vitamins and herbs so I always check for prices everywhere I go. It's good to check and know prices when you see the offers of 2 for 1. Most of the time the vitamin sales at Walgreens, CVS and Don Quiote Supermarket is a good one, yet some vitamins are cheaper at Walmart regular price.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This two-for-one deal is used as a ploy that is used by many merchants to get rid of slow-moving items.In some instances they may even elevate the price of the goods when it's near to the sale event period and then drop the price at sale time. This is done so that the merchant will not absorb a loss on the sale of the goods.

14. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Well that defines me right there. I remember getting coupons in the mail for a burger joint that I love going to, I looked forward to them every time I checked the mail box.

When I go to the restaurant, I go alone all the time, like you because I don;'t really eat with people. I will give them a coupon that has buy 1 meal, get another free, and sometimes these coupons come with meals themselves that can be split between two people.

I get them because I can eat burgers later when I get home. I get a second large drink, and don't plan to drink it, double the fries, and double the burgers. It might even be a second ice cream sundae or something, I always take advantage.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen those and sometimes they do work out nicely. But I always do the maths just to be sure because there have been times when I've realised it's just a marketing ploy, that it doesn't work out any cheaper! They think they're so clever, then again there are people who'll just instinctively grab those offers without double checking. It also depends on whether or not I actually need the items. If not, I often don't bother.

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I will take advantage of offers like this on groceries or personal items. I find it to be a good deal and if it is something that I will use such as shampoos or deodorants then I take full advantage. I do not usually like this type of deal from the restaurants though since it is usually on something that I do not eat normally. I do not want to spend my money on something that I do not like or just would not normally purchase.

17. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I've not seen that situation with McDonald's food. The price of one seems to be quite consistent. In that case, if you're getting two for one, then you're really getting a bargain. Anyhow, I don't think the customers are than naive to not notice if they're getting scammed - and the companies know it.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Most times such offers on clothes have very poor quality of materials. I do check them out and buy only when I find it is worth the cost. Many times it is not worth spending on clothes that wont last after first wash even if they are half the usual cost.

On the other hand, utensils and other eatables may actually be worth the price if you know for sure that you are going to use them carefully.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy going for this kind of promo, buy one get one, they come very seldom at my local shopping malls. The fact they help save a lot on expenses by buying the items half their initial prices. Sometimes when I don't need more than one of the items I ask the sales persons to allow pay the equivalent price for one, which many do oblige to.