Buy or build a computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Maniak21 • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    Well, I like to ask this question from many of my friends. Would you rather buy an already built PC or you'd build one yourself? Over time I got different answers. In my opinion the difference is between comfort and work, or performance and money balance. For example for $750 you could buy an already built PC, that if you would buy the hardware for it, each component separately, you'd probably get the price down to $550-$600. So, for $750 you could build a more powerful PC. What's your opinion?
    The numbers given above are only to serve as examples.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can build one yourself, I would suggest building one. Not everyone can (like me). Luckily, my other half can and does build our computers. Thankfully, we are able to have better, more up to date, systems for less money. Some of those "out of the box" systems seem to have obsolete parts by the time you get them home.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely build. Pre-built computers usually cheap out on things like GPU or RAM. Which could be fine if you are just using the PC for web and office work, but there's a chance you can get it way cheaper anyway by building.

Building a PC isn't hard. :) It may look scary at first, but as long as you have someone to look after you, it really is just a very expensive Lego set. :)

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    If you know your way around a PC and how to put it together then that's your best option. It's far cheaper and you can really be sure that what you're putting together is really that of what you purchased. But if you're not that confident and you don't want to go to the hassle then just buy an already built one.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    An often asked question around here. I always build my computers and never buy pre-made ones. A ready built PC is more convenient sure, but you'll end up paying more for weaker hardware. So to better spend your money grab a friend with good computer knowledge, buy him a beer or two, and go shopping - you'll buy better hardware and maybe you'll even learn a thing or two about computer assembly.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have such a friend or the knowledge then it's better to build your own PC. I've been messing around with mine computers so much that these days I can replace parts without having to seek an experts help. If you just have to buy a premade computer because you can't build yours, why not go for refurbished or gently used computer? It would save you some cash and by upgrading some of it's parts you could be learning how to build your own computer so that the next time you go shopping . . .

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the knowledge and skills to build one, why not? Unfortunately for me, I cannot even distinguish computer parts. I can open the CPU, but I don't know what parts go to each port. So, I just buy a computer. It is safer that way.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only know which is which in the CPU parts, but I don't know how to attach a hard drive yet for example, I only know how to insert and remove the RAM, so I still have a lot to learn. If I already know how to build my own CPU, then for sure I won't buy pre-made ones anymore.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go halfway between the two and get someone to build it for me. However, even that kind of gives me pause as there are so many creeps, that I don't know if I'd even trust the person to build it. So, I'd get someone else to pretend they are the ones ordering the custom build and do it that way. Extreme yes, but that's the only way I could go with a custom PC nowadays.

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Always build your own rig. It's way better than buying a pre-built PC. Customize it according to your needs. And it helps you allocate your budget properly.

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I think building is the better and cheaper option. If you have an idea how to build a PC then it's better to just build one yourself other than buying a new one since most stores charge extra for already build computers which can be a bit daunting especially when you find out that you could've built a better and much more cheaper one.

12. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    As the daughter of a PC guru, I've mostly used custom builds. As a college student who craves portability and convenience, I now lean towards prebuilt.

What I've discovered is that unless you are a hardcore gamer who needs a custom build to maximize gameplay, someone who is in a technical field and needs a super computer to keep up, or some other specialty group, you probably are better off with a pre-built unit. PCs are built to meet the needs of most average consumers.

That having been said, I will never part with my custom built desktop, as it has features I cant find in store bought ones. However, for the most part I simply use my store bought laptop.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend that builds computers and has kept mine running for some time now. I do need to get a new one, the last time mine crashed he was able to get it back to full functionity. I plan to purchase a new soon. I would like the new one to be a desktop.

14. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Build! If it feels a little daunting, there are some computer shops (usually the ones that sell individual parts) that will build a PC for you for free. Just be careful though, sometimes they would try to get you to buy more expensive and powerful parts you don't really need. You still need to do your research about the parts that go in your case, even if you're not doing any of the building yourself. :)

15. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    If I didn't have my current boyfriend, then I would definitely buy a PC due to lacking the knowledge to build one myself. However, since I have a boyfriend who is extremely tech savvy, my vote definitely go towards building a PC. If one part goes corrupt or bad in some other manner, it can simply be replaced and he knows how to replace it. I save the cost of having to take a pre-composed computer to a store and pay a fortune to get a small piece fixed.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    CPU is Central Processing Unit. Not a PC. CPU is a technical term for a processor, I doubt you will ever know how to build that.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Buying my own computer is what's best for me since I'm not really good in building stuff especially computer related things. Just nope. It's not my thing. I'll mess up the whole thing if tried and then it would cost me double because then I'll have to replace parts and things like that. So yes, I'd rather buy it than build it.

18. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    If you look online and see a custom build PC that cost $500. Then that usually means that it really only cost $400 to actually build. Therefore, the cost saving method would be to simply purchasing your own parts and build from scratch. Building your own PC works out in two different ways. You can pick and choose what will go in your PC to ensure that it will be of the performance you prefer. The cost will be relatively lower then if you bought one already together.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I read somewhere that the difference is only significant when it comes to higher end PCs since the lower end ones tend to have parts used with parts that are mass ordered and therefore stores are able to drive the prices down more than you could on your own. At mid range is where it starts becoming more worth it to build your own but I think generally it's still much better to have knowledge in what goes into your builds and how to dismantle and replace parts since you could just upgrade on your own.

20. kaka0

kaka0New Member

Threads:
    Build - if You know what to do :)
    You can compare parts like monitor graphics card , ssd,hdd and many more to YOUR NEEDS !
    And;
    better guarantee from few years + (cpu 5years)and easy access to upgrade extend pc in future
    In pc from shop You will get 1-2 years guarantee plus sticker on case so if You decide do some hardware changes if future -broken sticker and no warranty
    And is realy good fun :)