Buy out of season to get the best deals

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Sweetkymom • Nov 7, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about you but I'm going to start loading up on clearance clothes that are marked down because they are out of season. Today alone, I have went into 3 different stores and they had their summer clothing below 90% off. I grabbed a ton for my kids. I bought the next 2 sizes up for all 3 of my kids that way they'll have clothes for next summer. I will still buy up to date in season clothes but nothing like I will clearance rack from out of season. I'm kind of glad I got to experience these awesome sales today.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really that you are going to get the best deals during the out-of-season sale, but it's more likely that you are going to get the item that you want cheapest during this time. And that does not necessary mean it's the best deal. The best deal is when you get something for a very considerable price, the lowest price with its value at the highest. And the time the value of things is at the highest is during the time when they are at their peak.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think that that's a good idea, but based on experience, there's really little difference between the price of items bought out of season and the price of items bought during the season. The brand makes a difference, however. Non-branded clothes are a good deal for me. I can buy as many as four or five clothes in one go and pay the same amount as a single dress from an established and popular brand.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! I love visiting stores when they have end of season sales. :) I got a very cheap deal before on a sweater though I had to wait a long time before I could actually wear it. It was worth waiting for though. :D

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think that it's a good idea to buy clothes out of season. You'll typically save a good chunk of change if you do that, smartly. One problem with shopping out of season that I've found is the selection isn't very large. Companies seem to put the clothes that really didn't sale very well on steep clearance and there aren't a lot of popular items that you'd actually want that are sale. On occasion I find good items that are on sale, though.

6. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I do this all the time with certain items. For example, I stock up on tank tops and shorts during the winter because you get an unbeatable price. This is great for people who don't mind wearing last season clothes and are looking for a bargain.

7. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That is the only way I shop. It helps for staying in budget and I can get some great deals on gifts for people that way. When you buy things when the first come out or in season, you pay more then you need to. I also find "hole in the wall" stores that purchase back stock or less then perfect versions of things and buy. Typically there is nothing wrong with the item, they just did not hold up to the test before shipping. I got a pair of shoes once that were $85 for $10 that way once and there wasn't anything wrong with them that I could see and they were brand new.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Certain stores like Marshalls or T.J Maxx discount every week, so sometimes I will keep an eye on an item until it's reduced to a price I like. Stores like these need to move stock fast so they discount in season as well as out of season. I stock up in other stores out of season, but only if it's a good buy and I know I will use it like a winter coat or a cashmere sweater.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The crazy thing is my cousin does this except with candy. She literally buys Halloween candy that was made specifically for that holiday during the winter seasons. I love to get a good clearance sale on items that are not in season such as winter coats. I have found some items marked down by as much as 40% which is always a good deal.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey, it's a great way to save 50 to 75%. The day after Halloween is when Walmart immediately discounts Halloween themed candy (even if it's just a Halloween version of Snickers or some other major candy brand) by 50%. The stores then up the discount to 75% a couple days later, and the leftovers that nobody buys are discounted even further to 90% whenever necessary. It's a great way to save on candy, which does have a far-out expiration date, so it can last throughout the next year.

11. semizeu33

semizeu33Banned

Threads:
    REALLY awesome :)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy clothes until I need it, so I don't pay much attention to out of season sales. I guess the next time I buy clothes I will particularly look for out of season ones so that I can avail of the discount.

13. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    This is such a great idea and it's very smart and savvy. The best ways to shop for things on discount is when they are out of season, you get all the best deals. You can get up to 70% off of a product when you shop off season. I'm about to shop for my bathing suit in a few days. :)

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I have attempted to tackle one area of my budget each year to sort of lower our overall expenses but not overwhelm myself. Last year I tackled the kids clothes issue. I realized that by shopping end of season clearance and stocking up at cheap prices on sizes up, I am essentially paying less for brand new clothes than I would pay at consignment stores and even online.

It has been awesome.

I've also learned that some stores do lifetime returns if you just keep the receipt and keep tags on, so I no longer worry about over-purchasing from Carter's and Osh Kosh, because anything that does not get worn, gets returned for a full refund or exchange.

I think I cut my clothes budget by 60%, and now that I'm in the habit, I have a really good system of organizing everything. It has made tons of difference and the work isn't a big deal at all.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy out of season. It saves me so much money. I buy Christmas decorations right after Christmas and them save them for the next year. They don't go out of style. If you have the space and can keep thing organized then this is the best way to go.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We do this whenever we have the extra money to as well, it's such a great, savvy way to save money. There are some AMAZING markdowns with nothing wrong with the item, just the simple fact of the store wanting to push out off season merchandise and make room for the newer seasonal stuff. I think it's a great idea personally and a great time to stock up.

17. elenapopa

elenapopaNew Member

Threads:
    I would do the same if I find 90% sales for summer clothes! It's a very good deal!