Buy "second hand" ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Laura • Jul 17, 2012.

1. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Hello,

I love to read and I usually buy my books second hand for 1,5$ to 3$ or take it at a library. I would like to buy a Kindle but I am stopped by the price of ebooks. I know you can find some for free but it is not like you have a huge choice.

I am wondering if there is any website that allow to sell/buy ebooks "second hand". Is it even legal?

Thanks everybody and have a good day

2. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    this is not something that I know anything about, but would think that you will probably not have much luck selling these or buying them second hand. The main issue is that the license will usually not transfer from one device to another. That;s not to say that you couldn't find a file and convert it to another format and buy/sell it this way, it just may not be compatible with your device. I struggle with this questions because technically selling books second hand, or any other copyrighted material, is technically illegal, I would think. The author of the book isn't getting paid a royalty on the sale...so at the very least it's unethical.

3. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I was of course asking if there was a legal way, where the author could be paid ;) . I was wondering that, because it's legal to sell a book second hand and I am not sure the author is earning anything on that sale. What is the difference between selling a book and selling a file (if you don't reproduce the file and sell it multiple times)?

Thanks